Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I recently acquired a 1997 AT RAV4 and there is this "BOG" sound when shifting from D to R and vice versa. Visual inspection from some mechanics say its a problem in the engine support and/or the cross joints. They also say its not a "dangerous" problem, and I can still use the car. I plan to bring it to Toyota here and have it diagnosed. Anybody here encountered the same problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Their diagnosis sounds reasonable. A U-joint, CV joint, or loose exhaust system would have been my first guesses. But they can easily test it on a lift, etc., and might find another thing like an engine or transaxle mount. U-joints are typically cheap, but the other problems can be more challenging ...

Good luck!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same problem with my RAV4 1997 and the reason is the rear transaxle mounting. so try to check the three rubber mountings. If there is tear just change it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the same problem but a lil more worse than that well ive brought it to a repair shop they changed almost every bushing and whatever possible on the car that may have caused the sound but sadly it only made a small noise reduction to the sound but the sound is still present. they even brought it to toyota and toyota didn't know what was happening. :(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also brought it to several mechanics and they cant also fix the problem. Im also planning to bring it to Toyota (Alabang) but as you've said you already brought it to Toyota. I have also read your thread regarding this.

It seems its a problem with the rav, I can learn to live with it :D especially with the occasional new passenger always being surprised when they hear the sound , thinking that someone has rear-ended us :D

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha yup sanayan lang yan pare... where u in the phils? maybe we cud meet up sometime :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, performance-wise nothing to complain about :D

btw, I am here in alabang, yep, if we have the time lets meet up and share some tips re our ravs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts