Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Whould you be interested in a turbo kit for the rav4.1?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting members. I used to participate on the older Rav4 forums under the name Nismobeast. I've retured after a long break to announce possible development of a turbo kit for the Rav4.1. After having great sucess in building a kit for the V6 Hyundai Tiburon we are now working on a kit for the 4.1 using my 1998 4wd 5-speed rav as a test bed. Our idea at Boostology is creating turbo kits for the neglected cars out there (ie: Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, etc..)

Working with companies such as turbonetics and Momentum turbochargers and our local fabricators at ESP tuning we hope to have a relaible "stage 1" kit available soon. We are trying to keep the COMPLETE kit priced @ $3000 for all necessary parts.

I come here again because Im gauging interest in this venture. "stage 1" will consist of the turbo, intercooler (front mount or top mount has yet to be determined, however a front mount may be more feasble for those who do not wish to modify their hoods) All intercooler pipes will be included as well as a Blow off valve and any fuel management items necessary (injectors, Apex-i S-AFC, fuel pump..etc....what parts are mecessary are as yet unknown) and any other misc parts such as oil lines and fittings for the oil pan.

We are also looking for investors that are willing to make an initial investment to help speed up the development of the kit. Investors will have first access to the kits at a discounted price.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. As a 4.1 owner I know that the 3SFE motor tends to be less than adequate in the HP and TQ figures. We hope our kit takes care of these issues without shortening engine life or ruining that great toyota reliability. If you have any questions you can reach me at [email protected] or on my cell at 508-965-0588.

Thanks
Matt Tordiglione
Boostology tech support

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
You may want to post this in the for sale section as you are trying to solicit an item for $$$....

Also, there aren't many that are going to be willing to "invest" $1000-$1500 in a product that has not been proven or tested for over a year without any issues or problems... and also without knowing if and when the product will be done or received.... a suggestion would be to complete the kit on your RAV and have some serious road testing and then gauge the interest....

I myself would be interested in certain aspects, but not knowing the history or background of Boostology and it's entities, I would be weary as would many of just investing that kind of money... You may want to find some local owners/investors that can oversee all steps of the devlopemnt and see there money at work... :p

AVO an australian company has already successfully done this with years of research and devlopment...

If only I was local I could actually help out with the R&D, as I have already successfully completed a kit and know the ins and outs and what needs to be done to make it successful and for less at that....

Best of luck to you with your business ventures....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do see your point, however, in the case of our other turbo kits, there are usually several people willing to pay @ 500 or so to get the project up and running faster so that they get first theirs kits first and at a signifigant discount.

I initially threw 1000 out there as a rough figure and we think that with 3-4 investors willing to put in 500 each, we can provide them with a high quality product before we add it to our website.

I shall re-post this in the for sale area as well. Technically we are not selling anything yet, the kit has yeat to be built, tested, tuned, and manufactured. We're aiming at having the prototype done by summer/fall.

I also realize that other companies have built turbo kits for the rav 4, but as with the turbo kits available for most cars, fuel management is left to the customer wheras we will include all necessary fuel mods to allow the turbo to run 5-6psi with no lean/rich issues and with no massive cost added to the kit. If its anything like our V6 Tiburon kit, it will run @ $3000 for the complete kit. Kits made in AU and other turbo projects from companies such as toysport are expensive, come with fewer items, and hard to find.

Thank you for your input, we are looking for feedback from all on this site so that we can design this kit for those who are interested.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Boostology.com origionally started as a online store to cater to Subaru and Hyundai Tiburon owners. However we are looking at expanding our coverage to cars that tend to be overlooked in the aftermarket world. Since I saw that no one made a complete kit for my 98 RAV that included everything necessary down to the little stuff like clamps, nuts and bolts, etc.. I suggested we start to work on our own kit.

We are also able to get pretty much any parts you may need for your turbo set up. Seems like u need fuel management and the Apexi SAFC would be perfect for the rav4. Greddy's E-manage system dosnt support the 3SFE engine unfortunately, and i am not familiar with offereing from Blitz or HKS that will work for the 4.1

Thank you for the heads up on www.toyotanation.com. I shall post there as well to see if anyones up for some boost.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
BoostologyRAV4.1 said:
Well, Boostology.com origionally started as a online store to cater to Subaru and Hyundai Tiburon owners. However we are looking at expanding our coverage to cars that tend to be overlooked in the aftermarket world. Since I saw that no one made a complete kit for my 98 RAV that included everything necessary down to the little stuff like clamps, nuts and bolts, etc.. I suggested we start to work on our own kit.

We are also able to get pretty much any parts you may need for your turbo set up. Seems like u need fuel management and the Apexi SAFC would be perfect for the RAV4. Greddy's E-manage system dosnt support the 3SFE engine unfortunately, and i am not familiar with offereing from Blitz or HKS that will work for the 4.1

Thank you for the heads up on www.toyotanation.com. I shall post there as well to see if anyones up for some boost.
BTW, regarding the neglected cars, their is a very large market regarding this situation. It's just no one has explored it yet. Good luck, but it seem your on the right track. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed, such is the case with the Tiburon. Companies made turbo kits for it, but they were expensive and came with few parts, leaving you to have to buy any remaining parts necessary to make the "kit" work. We want to provide a complete kit leaving nothing left out and we will offer it at a more than reasonable price. Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greddys E-manage ultimate has no support for the 3SFE. Im using the ultimate on my 240sx w/ SR20DET and the sofware has no 3SFE on the list of engines to choose from. The older E-manage (non-ultimate) may have support for the 3SFE however I am not sure since we have not had a chance to use the older model.

APEX-i SAFC's are also a great unit with a great degree of versitility. Again, not completely sure if it will work on the RAV4. We are using it with the Tiburon turbo kit and love it. Easy to use and easy to install.

Can someone from the experts name the parts for a turbo!!!
The items included in the kit are listed towards the top of the post. Our kit when complete shall include

turbo with internal wastegate
turbo manifold
intercooler and pipes
exhaust pipes to allow it to bolt up to the factory exhaust system
silicone couplings
oil lines for the turbo
oil return line fitting for the oil pan
all clamps
airfilter and intake pipe
blow-off valve
Fuel system upgrades will be included but it is not known yet as to what is needed. We will be dyno testing the car and watching the A/F ratios closely to ensure that this kit will not cause damage to the engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
BoostologyRAV4.1 said:
APEX-i SAFC's are also a great unit with a great degree of versitility. Again, not completely sure if it will work on the RAV4.
The SAFC does work on the RAV, I installed that for a short while also... With the SAFC there other things that will have to be factored in to really make it worthwhile... The fuel management is the trickiest thing to make work on the RAV... I am talking from experience.... :!:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats good to know. We were looking at getting some high flow injectors either aftermarket or from another toyota engine, and have them controlled by the S-AFC. Plus the silver S-afc will look quite nice in a silver rav4. We can also get black S-AFC's too so that when these kits are made they can better match your car.

Well with 5 people interested in a kit, 6 including myself, I would just need 5 more people to make it worthwhile manufacturing 10 kits. Im still going to turbo the 4.1 in the meantime, post dyno numbers and timeslips and then see if interest in a kit grows.

Ive also posted on toyota nation and hopefully with enough interest we can get these kits available asap.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
BoostologyRAV4.1

I think you should take a look at Peitti Racing RAV4.1 turbo kit. I don't think this kit is available any more. This is what it said:

Excellent Performance is nearing completion of a high end turbo system for the Toyota RAV4 called the "RAV Force". The system has already undergone over 5 years of trouble free testing. This incredible kit is the product of our design optimization process which is a result of blending the latest technology with proven time-honored methods. By using this approach we emerge with a system that epitomizes functional simplicity and quality by design. The kit is available in two stages. The Stage 1 Kit increases horsepower by 50% @ 6 psi of boost. It consists of a 320 Hp Garrett dual ceramic ball bearing liquid cooled turbo, a cast stainless steel exhaust manifold, and a 2.5 inch stainless steel exhaust pipe with flex joint which bolts up to the stock catalytic converter. Fuel management is accomplished with a separate digital computer which controls one extra injector to provide the correct fuel mixture while on boost. Also included in the kit is a pillar mount SPI precision boost/vacuum gauge, all aluminum alloy piping, and all necessary hardware for a professional installation. The RAV Force Stage 2 Kit increases horsepower by 75% @ 6 psi. It has all of the Stage 1 components plus a high efficiency Cool Charge liquid intercooler system, dual heat exchangers, and an Electro-logic Cool Charge pump control system. Both systems come with user information stickers and owner's manual supplement, detailed installation manual, and troubleshooting guide. The simple design and high quality components all help to give the RAV Force Turbo System unsurpassed reliability and great value. The RAV Force is only a special order item. The price is approximately $4,000.

This is the top intercooler turbo kit. I myself like the front mount kit for overuse reasons. The important part is the extra injecter kit it has. :idea:

K

·
0 Posts
It's not really a top mount intercooler. It's a liquid intercooler, like that of the ST205 GT4. You can clearly see the coolant piping running from the liquid cooling system to the front mount.

This system was use due to the limited space available to the front of the RAV4's engine bay. As with front mount intercooler, you need to remove your enture bumper, cut the space into it before it will fit. And with the piping, it's almost impossible. On the left you have the washer fluid bottle, and even though there's nothing on the right, the turning arc of the wheels will hinder any intercooler piping going into the front mount area.

To compensate for further piping, the RAV4 4.1's front area has no space for piping since the radiator and air condition radiator already took up most of the space.

Therefore, they use the liquid intercooler solution. Despite slightly heavier, you solve the problem with spacing.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
kidong said:
It's not really a top mount intercooler. It's a liquid intercooler, like that of the ST205 GT4. You can clearly see the coolant piping running from the liquid cooling system to the front mount.

This system was use due to the limited space available to the front of the RAV4's engine bay. As with front mount intercooler, you need to remove your enture bumper, cut the space into it before it will fit. And with the piping, it's almost impossible. On the left you have the washer fluid bottle, and even though there's nothing on the right, the turning arc of the wheels will hinder any intercooler piping going into the front mount area.

To compensate for further piping, the RAV4 4.1's front area has no space for piping since the radiator and air condition radiator already took up most of the space.

Therefore, they use the liquid intercooler solution. Despite slightly heavier, you solve the problem with spacing.
Thanks kidong for your exceptional description, I stand corrected. Now then, this is a good opportunity to also install a turbo kit for the engine you have. Also, the top mount liquid cooler would also work better if the hood had an opening. :idea:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
mensajero said:
Also, the top mount liquid cooler would also work better if the hood had an opening. :idea:
It will help keep temps a little cooler but it's an extra unnecessary expense unless you really plan on putting some serious power down, considering you have an extra radiator installed when you do the liquid cooler.... the 1st generation celica alltrac had a liquid intercooler and did not have a hood vent and functioned quite well and still does on those that are still out there... Too bad I sold mine... :cry:

As for cutting a hole in the hood, then you might as well put in a top mount air to air... :wink: Less stuff to worry about installing or parts that will wear out or break, etcc.... I have considered the top mount air to air, as I have one lying around with all the other parts... :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I remember that kit. Long since gone, but it was a good idea. We've been throwing around the idea of a front mount or a top mount intercooler. Top mount would be nice, fewer pipes and very alltrac like=cool, however, in order to function properly a WRX like hood scoop would have to be installed. As for a front mount, we can get a intercooler in anysize necessary, and all pipes are mandrel bent at our local shop, so trial and error isnt a issue. Some front bumper modification may be necessary, but it wont be an excessive ammount of cutting. Just like when I do SR20DET engine swaps on 240sx's, slight trimming is needed to fit the front mount. On my rav4 we're going to try both intercooler setups. I want to run a top mount for a sleeper effect and install a hood scoop much like the ones on the rav4.2 But for production we will have a front mount since it will require much less bodywork modification

The Rav Force kit also runs a 5th injector and we're hoping to do away with that. By running 4 higher flowing injectors all being controlled by the S-AFC, we feel that fuel supply will be sufficient.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts