Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Borla Exhaust tip. It was suppose to clamp on, but I couldn't get it to fit over the pipe. So I took it to Midas and asked how much to put it on. They told me $15.00 to cut the end of the pipe and weld it on. I told them I only have $10.00 cash, and they said deal! Best $10.00 I spent in a while. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Exhaust shops are able to cut pipes so that the tip can be installed straight out. Unless the pipe is curved all the way around on a 4.3?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I personally think welding it on was a mistake - the first time you back it into a curb you are going to prang your exhaust system. A clamp-on tip would just rotate or peel off without hurting anything.

Be careful backing up!

John Davies
Spokane WA

R

·
0 Posts
My experience with a clamp on is RUST RUST RUST!!!
The warming up and cooling nature of exhaust systems means condensation collects in the space between the tip and pipe.

The weld was a better serendipitous solution.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
John E Davies said:
I personally think welding it on was a mistake - the first time you back it into a curb you are going to prang your exhaust system. A clamp-on tip would just rotate or peel off without hurting anything.

Be careful backing up!

John Davies
Spokane WA
thanks... i'll try to advoid curbs

·
Registered
509 Posts
In looking at the picture, it appears that upgrading may not be that difficult. Without having one in front of me and seeing what happens above the pipe area, I have some ideas.

This kind of goes in line with the other thread on dual exhaust, but here goes:

First, it looks like the tail pipe is a bolt-on to the muffler. There could be a simple muffler-back tailpipe setup that has a smooth mandrel bent single tailpipe. That could be the cheapest upgrade. It won't really get much in the way of performance, but it may look better, and could be a 3" pipe.

Second, right behind the rear differential it looks like there could be a muffler-back setup that Y's into dual exhaust. It still retains the stock parts from the mufflers forward, but has a little more agressive and sport look, while still being a bolt-on. If this were the case, I'd like a straight back, symmetrical look.

Third, the muffler is huge! An aftermarket muffler could be designed in combination with both of the previously mentioned tailpipe kits. It may only require sawing off the original muffler where the pipe straightens out. Then the new muffler inlet pipe could slide over the original pipe and be clamped (welded) in place. It would be a bolt-on for the most part, but may require a trip to the muffler shop for a final weld to the muffler's inlet pipe.

Fourth, I can't tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like there's some room in front of the cat to install an entire system. It could basically be an extension of #3 above, but including a high flow cat. Then it can either be a 3" mandrel single exhaust, 2.5" mandrel single exhaust, or split behind the differential for dual pipes out the back.

From the looks of things, I think the most reasonable would be a cat-back kit though. There's lots of original pipe to work with, it doesn't appear to be bent sharp enough coming out of the cat, and the original cat may not be that bad and also may provide the necessary back pressure to keep the low end toque decent with the reduction of backpressure caused by the new muffler and better flowing pipes.

I think there's a lot of potential in this exhaust system, unless there's something happening above the system that would prevent it. It's hard to tell looking straight up though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts