Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some may already have the Bosal system.... found a leak on my stock muffler so I decided to get a new one... :wink: I just ordered my Bosal catback exhaust yesterday, it was in stock, so hopefully I should have it within a week... once I have it installed I will post pictures of install before and after... :D

B

·
0 Posts
Thanks a lot DJ, I plan to do this some time in early June. Please let me know where you ordered from. : :D

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BrownBoy said:
Thanks a lot DJ, I plan to do this some time in early June. Please let me know where you ordered from. : :D
I have a 96 2dr... I noticed you have a 98 model... I don't know how much will be needed to make it fit... I believe some people have modified the exhaust hangers to make it fit... other than that I don't know if the piping from the muffler to the catalytic is the same... you could always call your local Toyota for the part numbers of the pipe from muffler to catalytic and see if they are the same....

I ordered from sfxperformance.com here is the link: http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/BRO112602.htm

You can also order from Bosal:

http://bosalperformance.com/catalog/specials.html

Price is cheaper from Bosal since they have an overstock I believe and also being the manufacturer they can charge less than a retailer...
SFX gave me a good deal since I told them Bosal's price, although they couldn't match exactly , otherwise they would lose money... Shipping was cheaper for me from SFX since they are closer than where Bosal would be shipping from...

Anyways, let me know how it works out for you if you decide to order one and make it fit... 8)

I will post pics as soon as I receive it and have it installed... :D

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just received the exhaust in the mail today... :D

Hopefully I will have it installed this Friday... I will update with pics as soon as it goes in... 8)

B

·
0 Posts
SWEET!!! :lol:

PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! :p

hhaha...sorry :roll:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BrownBoy said:
SWEET!!! :lol:

PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! :p

hhaha...sorry :roll:
It's ok... i'm just as anxious as you... :D

I have pics I will post tomorrow of the exhaust in the box.... I may have to wait until Monday to install the exhaust, since my other car is in the shop for some maintenance and upgrades and is taking a little longer than expected... :(

Not to worry though, I will definitely post the pics ASAP... 8)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bossal catback

Anyone with a 98-99 RAV4 there are some photos in my Album of a 96-97 Bossal Brospeed Catback system I modified to fit Cubby our 99 RAV4 that might help you, also somewhere in ACCYS. or DIY are some directions as to what I did and how to do it. If anyone needs more help just ask.

:cheers:

Vic.......vicco27.........Keep Rollin.

PS I also have more photos if needed

B

·
0 Posts
DJ Sueno said:
I have pics I will post tomorrow of the exhaust in the box.... I may have to wait until Monday to install the exhaust, since my other car is in the shop for some maintenance and upgrades and is taking a little longer than expected... :(

Umm, yeah. I'm waaaiiiitttiinnnggg... :roll:

vicco27 said:
Anyone with a 98-99 RAV4 there are some photos in my Album of a 96-97 Bossal Brospeed Catback system I modified to fit Cubby our 99 RAV4 that might help you, also somewhere in ACCYS. or DIY are some directions as to what I did and how to do it. If anyone needs more help just ask.
Thanks for the pics, they're awesome! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BrownBoy said:
DJ Sueno said:

Umm, yeah. I'm waaaiiiitttiinnnggg... :roll:
Sorry for the delay, I have been busy with my other car being in the shop... the mechanic hasn't had time to do the RAV... I will be going to my other friend's shop tomorrow morning, so hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I will have more pics... :D

The only pic I have now is of the box and exhaust in bubblewrap... :p

B

·
0 Posts
Oooooh! Sexy! :p

I'll check back tomorrow, DON'T DISSAPPOINT ME! :twisted:

Haha, just kidding, Good job! :thumbs_up:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stock mudflap has a hole in it for the stock exhaust, but we had to make the stock opening in the mudflap a little bigger since the Bosal tip is angled a little...
I have some other pics I took with my friend's camera at the shop, he has to email them to me, I will post them as soon as I get them...

As for performance, car feels more peppy and smooth... higher rpm's the car seems to move more instead of feeling weak... interior sound level increased a bit... outside sound, it has a aggressive growl to it... not too loud, and no raspinees... overall i'm happy with the price and performance.... probably doesn't give much power but I could feel a slight difference in the rpm ranges...
Now for the pics....
8)

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
J-san said:
Cool! looking good! You have a body kit on your RAV?
Thanks... no bodykit... it's lowered and has the optional sidebars and rear towbar/hitch thingy, and I just installed some brand new OEM rear mudflaps... :wink:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mensajero said:
Looks great. How do you feel it moving know, better? Will that muffler hold with the turbo installed?
Thanks... the powerband seems much smoother... as for the turbo, if I were to install it, the exhaust would be fine for low boost... i'm sure a less restrictive exhayst would be beneficial, but I wouldn't be looking for crazy power so I would just leave the Bosal exhaust on... :wink:

B

·
0 Posts
Looks really good man! Thanks for those pics! :D

I was just wondering, would I feel a difference if I installed:

Headers + Muffler
OR
Headers + Cat + Exhaust System + Muffler

You said you felt a slight difference and that there wasn't much power gained... Basically my question is: Is it worth the extra $250 + installation (which is a ridiculous price in my area by the way :() for the exhaust pipes?

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well as for the exhaust, it was worth it to me because my muffler had a hole in it... so $250 shipped for the catback was worth it, since it replaced the muffler and mid-pipe as well.... As for installation, it may be easy or may be a pain, depending on how rusted out your stock bolts are.... my friend had to do some cutting, etc, since my stock bolts/nuts at the mid-pipe were rusted and didn't want to come out....

to use a header you will need to have a shop fabricate and install a primary catalytic, since installing a header will eliminate the primary catalytic (and our primary catalytic has a very odd shape and size), which is essential for passing emissions and also if you don't have it in place you will throw a check engine light and the car may run strangely.... remember there is also a mini secondary catalytic as well...
I would invest in a header if I knew it came with a highflow catalytic that could easily be put in place right after it...
I don't know about emissions in Canada, but here in the USA in my state they are pretty strict at testing time...

If you install a intake, exhaust and header with high flow catalytics you will notice a difference... but also the noise levels will increase possibly to the point which is unbearable for daily driving.... just installing the exhaust I noticed a noise difference which I can tolerate.... it almost has the loudness of an open intake under higher rpm's.... a cone style open air filter will attract attention to you... but if you like those sort of things that's you're choice...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts