·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boston Herald: Toyota RAV4 isn’t just a ‘chick car’

Boston Herald: Toyota RAV4 isn’t just a ‘chick car’
By Eric Convey/ Motor Mouth
Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Toyota RAV4 is no longer the “chick car” that it once was.

Now before you think that’s a sexist comment, Motor Mouth should point out that calling a vehicle a “chick car” isn’t an insult.

The Honda Civic del Sol and early versions of the Mazda Miata were certainly chick cars - and I sure wish I owned either one.

As for the RAV4, Toyota’s small SUV was once a light, not-terribly-solid-feeling vehicle.

It was good for zipping around (even in bad weather), but didn’t feel especially rugged.

Enter the 2006 RAV4.

This is a real sport utility vehicle - and any guy should feel perfectly comfortable showing up at his 20th high school reunion in one. Not only will he look good, but he’ll also have fun driving there.

More to read at the full article...

P

·
0 Posts
Im assuming this only applies to V6s...

"...but he’ll also have fun driving there."

Sorry, the )4 isnt fun. It just gets the job done.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, I don't care what they think about any generation of the RAV, because I've owned all three and have never had any thoughts about it being a "chick car"... The CR-V on the other hand... :wink: :p

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry, but a RAV 4.1 is a RAV 4.2 is a RAV 4.3 equal = chick car
Demographics will show that over 50% of 4.3 owners are female too.
No, that doesn’t mean it’s a chick car. But, that’s the only quantitative definition of “chick car” I can think of.

Actually, I know very few men who drive any kind of SUV. Most men (including me) drive cars and to a lesser degree trucks. Therefore, one must assume all SUV’s equal “chick vehicle” under our definition.

Well, the last time I looked, our RAV didn’t have ovaries or any other naughty bits. It’s not shaped like an hourglass, a pear, or Twiggy either. Thus, I must conclude it is a hunk of metal with no gender awareness. What do you know...this whole discussion is pointless. But we have fun with it anyway.

R

·
0 Posts
purduealum91 said:
Im assuming this only applies to V6s...

"...but he’ll also have fun driving there."

Sorry, the )4 isnt fun. It just gets the job done.
Hmmm...my 4 C is fun! LOTS of fun, in fact! I don't drive freeway...so, I didn't need a V6. I do drive a lot of roads, and a lot of turns and hills...and, it is fun, fun, fun!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
RAV4HER said:
Sorry, but a RAV 4.1 is a RAV 4.2 is a RAV 4.3 equal = chick car
Demographics will show that over 50% of 4.3 owners are female too.
No, that doesn’t mean it’s a chick car. But, that’s the only quantitative definition of “chick car” I can think of.

Actually, I know very few men who drive any kind of SUV. Most men (including me) drive cars and to a lesser degree trucks. Therefore, one must assume all SUV’s equal “chick vehicle” under our definition.

Well, the last time I looked, our RAV didn’t have ovaries or any other naughty bits. It’s not shaped like an hourglass, a pear, or Twiggy either. Thus, I must conclude it is a hunk of metal with no gender awareness. What do you know...this whole discussion is pointless. But we have fun with it anyway.
Lol, very interesting point of view, most cute SUVs are driven by female. AT least the RAV4 is not as much as a chick car than say the VW beetle. Dont forget the 06 RAV4 is all grown up, it is no longer a chick car, it is now a woman's car.

R

·
0 Posts
I hope you didn't offend anybody with the VW Beetle reference. And, I'm sure glad you didn't pick on the Corolla. That's the quintessential SECRETARY'S car...and I drive ours now. That's what I get for being too practical and trading the Tundra for her RAV.

Seriously though, my only issue is I have side curtain airbag envy.
Some '05-'06 Corolla's have them and our RAV does too.

BTW - you secretarys know the building would fall apart without you. C U on the road!

·
Registered
132 Posts
flyingn said:
oh brother now the other gen RAV owners are gonna blast you Tone.. You posted an article that called their car a chick car :) :)
Naaah.... I think that "Chick Car" thing was only applicable BEFORE the gas prices went up....

I live in "Big Truck/SUV" country, but I noticed that ever since gas prices went up, I've been getting a lot of compliments on my 4.2, and a lot of them from big SUV/Truck owners.... Hey I've passed a lot of those "muscle" trucks on the highway, snow or no snow..... But I'm a manual transmission veteran, so even if I have an automatic tranny, I know how to overcome the RAV's "lack of power" - Nothing "downshifting" or a simple click of the OD button can't overcome... I've also seen how hard these muscle-car owners shake their heads everytime they're filling up their tanks... I've also noticed an increase in the number of RAVs & other compact SUVs in the area.

If Chick Car = Practical Car, then so be it.....

Anyway, if my RAV is a Chick, then I really don't have any problem saying I llove "her". :p

R

·
0 Posts
Hey RAV Lover,
Is your RAV a sport? Does she go?
< wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know what I mean, Say no more! >

ref: Monty Python...you non-fans don't try to figure it out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
...Number 7: Two inches to the right of a very naughty bit indeed.... Number 13: The naughty bits of a horse....

:lol: Gotta love it!

Becky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts