Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both tail lights stopped working so I replaced the bulbs, despite the old ones not looking blown. The fuses are good, but I swapped them anyway, still no luck.

What should I do to troubleshoot this?

It's a 2004 Rav4 2WD

Thank you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also wanted to add that everything else works as it should and I have the proper 7443 bulbs in.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
So right out of the box these bulbs do not work ? The tail and the brake lights do not work? Did you wear gloves or made contact with the bulb glass with your bare hands?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wore gloves, and have tested the bulbs to make sure they work. The brake lights, turn signals, and reverse lights work. The license plate light also works. I've checked all of the fuses and relays, not just the fuses pertaining to the tail lights and all are good. I replaced the tail light fuses just to be sure, however, the old ones has continuity so they should be fine as well. I'm going to start looking at schematics and start following the leads.

I realize this doesn't make sense, that's why I'm asking for help. If anyone has suggestions, I will appreciate anything you have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Below is the schematics of the tail lights for this vehicle. Both tail lights have a common connection as I highlighted below. Does anyone know where this connection is located? I assume it's the 7.5A fuse located to the left under the steering wheel area. Can anyone help me verify this?

Also, I tested the current draw at the 7.5A "tail" fuse by pulling it and using a multimeter in series. It measured 0.8A with the headlight switch on. It also showed 12 volts. So this is now even more confusing as to why these lights won't come on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has been solved. After evaluating everything, and rechecking fuses, relays, and continuity, I realized the problem had to be the bulbs. So I swapped them out with different bulbs and they now work. The bulbs I was using are simply not compatible, even though they should be. They are 7443 LEDs.

Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
This has been solved. After evaluating everything, and rechecking fuses, relays, and continuity, I realized the problem had to be the bulbs. So I swapped them out with different bulbs and they now work. The bulbs I was using are simply not compatible, even though they should be. They are 7443 LEDs.

Thank you for the response.
LEDS do have quality problems but I am glad you got it fixed. I don't have much luck with LEDS for the exterior back lights so I prefer to use regular bulbs. I seem to have better luck with LEDS for the interior.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Silly question, but did you swap the bulb around? When I installed LEDs on my 2002 Tundra I noticed they seemed to prefer one polarity over the other. Which I thought was strange, I didn't think LEDs would care, but perhaps the chip inside them does?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts