Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, perhaps I should have done more homework first, but I took the plunge on buying a Scion stereo with iPod connectivity (part 08600-21802/21801).

The following threads have been helpful to me so far:

Scion radio & install

Head Unit Removal

Scion T 1804 Stereo install (update)

So, down to business. I've removed the left/right trim parts (yes, very scary...those diamond clips on the trim have some fiber tape or something covering them which sounds like something is ripping when you pull outwards on the trim piece. Still, I was eventually successful in extracting them. I used a butter knife covered in a thin microfiber cloth to pull these off.

I'm slowly going through this process and now I'm not sure I have all the cables. =(

There is a short-ish cable that is supposed to come off the wiring harness that ends in a dash panel jack. I had assumed (incorrectly) that this jack was just a standard end to an iPod dock cable, but it seems proprietary. It is this cable which goes to the ipod from the dash jack that didn't come with the auction I won. (Does anyone know a part number I can use to find it with?)

I *was* expecting this process to be straight-STRAIGHT-forward, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

Has anyone installed this particular head unit in their RAV? Any problems? Is it possible? In any case, I'm trying to take loooots of pictures of my stumbling/bumbling progress so others can follow the lead if I'm successful.

Kudos to Wayne and his previous experience with his Scion head unit to help me get this far.

TIA,
-Brian

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update from my research and playing today:

Getting the venting trim off felt like I was going to bust the thing, but like the side trim pieces, this one lifts straight out also. It just won't do it very easily.

The stereo is in place and working, so that's a plus.

The ipod feature. How brain-dead is this?:
From the stereo to the ipod, there are *3* cables required. I can't believe how complex such a system evolved. Why 3 cables to go about half a meter? (which begs the question of why the auction I won only came with *1* of those 3 cables).

I'm going to a scion dealer tomorrow to try and see how much the remaining 2 cables will set me back (probably a mint). I'll try to get separate part numbers and all that.

-Brian
(hint: when you are doing this, don't tell the scion dealer that this stuff is not going into a scion...one dealer basically stonewalled me after saying it was going in a RAV and wouldn't tell me anything more, "well, they are only designed for scions (yadda yadda)")

J

·
0 Posts
bloorav said:
Quick update from my research and playing today:

From the stereo to the ipod, there are *3* cables required. I can't believe how complex such a system evolved. Why 3 cables to go about half a meter? (which begs the question of why the auction I won only came with *1* of those 3 cables).
Because it's a flucking Apple product, that's why.

B

·
0 Posts
I don't think Apple has anything to do with 3rd party product design

there are other products on the market that integrate the ipod with one cable :roll:

J

·
0 Posts
bzride said:
I don't think Apple has anything to do with 3rd party product design

there are other products on the market that integrate the ipod with one cable :roll:
I know, just had to get my dig in at Apple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bloorav said:

I'm going to a scion dealer tomorrow to try and see how much the remaining 2 cables will set me back (probably a mint). I'll try to get separate part numbers and all that.
Well you're not the first to do this, I installed the same unit in my 2003 Rav4 in March and have basically the same issue as you. Unfortunately what you're going to find when you go to the Scion dealer is that they can get you 2 out of the 3 cables (for a small fortune) but that the 1st cable that goes from the 16 pin connector on the back of the unit to the ipod socket in the center console is not available as a service part since it is actually part of the factory wiring harness installed in every 2006 Scion. I guess Scion did this so that dealers would not need to be fishing a cable from the dash into the center console. :roll:

I currently have on order with my Toyota dealer (we don't have Scion dealers here in Canada) the plug housings needed to make this cable. The fun doesn't end there because I'm going to have to source the pins that go into these housings and then build the cable...

A possible alternative idea might be to try to find a cooperative junk yard with a totaled 2006 Scion that would allow you to pull that piece of the wiring harness.

I'd be interested to know if you have any luck getting those parts.

Karl

·
Registered
39 Posts
2006 Scion head with ipod interface

I also purchased a 2006 Scion 08600-21802 tuner/MP3/Ipod interface on ebay to install in my 2005 Rav4L.
It came with the cable that plugs into the ipod and the console mounted connector (part number PT 546 – 21062) and the cable that mounts in the console and extends about a foot towards the radio (part number PT 546 – 21061). This cable does not reach the radio connector (the connector is different anyway).
This tuner and cables are designed to be installed into a 2006 Scion. The cable that is missing is part of the 2006 (not the 2005) Scion main wiring harness and cannot be ordered from Toyota (the main harness costs around 1500.00). The individual connectors can be ordered, but the contacts cannot be. The wires with contacts are not listed with Toyota either at the dealer level or with Toyota Database online.
It has taken me 3 months of searching (along with a lot of patience from a local dealer) and being an Electronic Engineer has helped to finally get my radio to perform as it was intended to with my ipod.
It allows me to place my iPod in my console glove box and select songs by playlist, artist, or name from the head unit(complete head unit control) and also charge it.
If there is enough interest, I am considering making and selling the “missing cable”.
So, if you are interested or have any other questions please contact me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: 2006 Scion head with ipod interface

billc said:
It has taken me 3 months of searching (along with a lot of patience from a local dealer) and being an Electronic Engineer has helped to finally get my radio to perform as it was intended to with my ipod.
It allows me to place my iPod in my console glove box and select songs by playlist, artist, or name from the head unit(complete head unit control) and also charge it.
If there is enough interest, I am considering making and selling the “missing cable”.
I'm definitely interested in more details. :D Assuming you built up the missing cable using the toyota plug housings I'd love to know where you sourced the pins to go in these housings. I'm very good with electronics so crimping or soldering up a wiring harness is no big deal for me.

Regards,

Karl

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kwarwick said:
Well you're not the first to do this, I installed the same unit in my 2003 RAV4 in March and have basically the same issue as you. Unfortunately what you're going to find when you go to the Scion dealer is that they can get you 2 out of the 3 cables (for a small fortune) but that the 1st cable that goes from the 16 pin connector on the back of the unit to the ipod socket in the center console is not available as a service part since it is actually part of the factory wiring harness installed in every 2006 Scion. I guess Scion did this so that dealers would not need to be fishing a cable from the dash into the center console. :roll:
I found that out today during my trip to the toyota/scion dealer. 8-{

What I'd really love to see is what the Scion wiring harness looks like. A pin/wiring guide would be useful as well, but the dealers can't even access that it seems. I may be completely wrong, but my guess is that the ipod wiring is totally sourced completely from the radio, with perhaps a power wire or two to charge the thing. Since all the radio jacks are taken in my existing harness, I'm wondering if one of the existing cable groups is actually a split cable that combines the ipod wiring with one of the other cables. Hmm. Did that make any sense?

kwarwick said:
I currently have on order with my Toyota dealer (we don't have Scion dealers here in Canada) the plug housings needed to make this cable. The fun doesn't end there because I'm going to have to source the pins that go into these housings and then build the cable...

A possible alternative idea might be to try to find a cooperative junk yard with a totaled 2006 Scion that would allow you to pull that piece of the wiring harness.

I'd be interested to know if you have any luck getting those parts.
Well, one of my thoughts today was to build my own harness (if I could ever see/get a hold of an existing harness and/or wiring guide), but then I'd need the plug housings. If you have a source on that, that may be some serious progress in all of this (are these plugs expensive or hard to come by? I mean...those other two cables cost about 75$US *each* I'm a bit flabbergasted by that.

Since the Scion 2006 model year is so new, it may not be easy to locate something like this, but...maybe I should start looking around now.

For the moment, the FM transmitter option will be my solution, but I'm hoping that a real scion-based ipod solution can still somehow work.

Thanks Karl,
-Brian

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: 2006 Scion head with ipod interface

billc said:
I also purchased a 2006 Scion 08600-21802 tuner/MP3/Ipod interface on ebay to install in my 2005 Rav4L.
It came with the cable that plugs into the ipod and the console mounted connector (part number PT 546 – 21062) and the cable that mounts in the console and extends about a foot towards the radio (part number PT 546 – 21061). This cable does not reach the radio connector (the connector is different anyway).
This tuner and cables are designed to be installed into a 2006 Scion. The cable that is missing is part of the 2006 (not the 2005) Scion main wiring harness and cannot be ordered from Toyota (the main harness costs around 1500.00). The individual connectors can be ordered, but the contacts cannot be. The wires with contacts are not listed with Toyota either at the dealer level or with Toyota Database online.
Yes, everything you say checks out with what I learned today. Those two part numbers are correct, and they ARE expensive. But that is nothing compared to getting the entire harness (I asked about that too). By contacts, you mean the pins? The cable set will consist of connectors, wires, and pins, yes? It is the pins that are hard to get then?

billc said:
Well, you'd most likely have my interest! I had *thought* I had done my homework on this unit, but the last few days have proven otherwise. This has gotten much hairier than I ever wanted it to be. Is your solution the same thing that is possible with the stock scion setup?

The one of the two Toyota/Scion dealers in our local area that is actually nice is in a state of utter confusion right now (major remodel), so I wouldn't expect any help from them (although the guy I talked with today definitely tried his best). The other dealer goosesteps the party line of if-it-ain't-toyota-for-a-RAV4-we-know-and-admit-nothing.

-Brian
(I have looked on other boards the last few days, namely toyota tundra and a couple other toyota boards, and there is interest there too for customizing the scion unit for the more standardized Toyota harness.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The plug housings from Toyota are $6-8 each. The key part being the one that plugs into that 13 pin connector on the back of the radio, part #90980-12423. Depending on if you are planning to plug into the existing other 2 cables then you'd also need the housing for the plug on the other end of this cable, part #90980-12155. I also ordered the plug housing for the 20 pin connector on the back of the radio which has the connection for AUX, steering wheel radio controls, and automatic sound leveling , part #90980-12259.

For anyone interested I've posted the wiring schematic for the iPod connector in my album.

Karl

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Bought a 06 Scion iPod head unit; am I the first guinea

Hi guys,

I am SO sorry you've run into all this problem. I do feel somewhat responsible for your troubles since I had been pushing the idea of the upgrade for everyone. I had not even considered the obfuscation that Toyota intentionally built in to keep their customers from cross-installing the iPod capable deck..

I thought -- and logic would dictate -- that it would be a straight-forward plug in with one single wire going from the deck to the iPod. Three wires, none of which are readily available, seems rather insane but then again, knowing Toyota and the stupid things they do to hinder their customers, maybe not.

I'm glad to see we have a few electronics geniuses though, because should I decide to make the jump myself, I may through a chunk of change your way in exchange for the necessary cables (electronics scare me :) )

Wayne

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kwarwick said:
The plug housings from Toyota are $6-8 each. The key part being the one that plugs into that 13 pin connector on the back of the radio, part #90980-12423. Depending on if you are planning to plug into the existing other 2 cables then you'd also need the housing for the plug on the other end of this cable, part #90980-12155. I also ordered the plug housing for the 20 pin connector on the back of the radio which has the connection for AUX, steering wheel radio controls, and automatic sound leveling , part #90980-12259.

For anyone interested I've posted the wiring schematic for the iPod connector in my album.

Karl
Hey Karl,

I looked in your album...since I'm almost a total novice in these matters, and have enough circuit/pin-out mapping experience to fill - well, nothing at all really, this doesn't get me very far. Never having seen a Scion wiring harness or the connectors the pin map doesn't mean a thing to me - yet. I'm still trying to decide if all this is worth messing with...and I already HAVE the scion unit installed and working (well, minus the AUX and the iPod ports).

As for the AUX port, is this an easy(ier) add-on? Or is it yet more 70$ cables and partial solutions?

Here is a thread on the ScionLife forums that checks out all the data you have passed on so far:
If the solution you've come up with is a full functional replacement for the missing Scion harness cable, I'd definitely be interested (depending on cost, of course...this mod is quickly looking like it will spiral out of control however I choose to move next).

You seem to have figured out what you are doing in all this mess, so in essence you have the holy grail. Now watch as people beat a path to your door in search of the better mouse trap. 8-} Are you prepared for the possible screaming hordes? *getting in line early*

wayne said:
I am SO sorry you've run into all this problem. I do feel somewhat responsible for your troubles since I had been pushing the idea of the upgrade for everyone. I had not even considered the obfuscation that Toyota intentionally built in to keep their customers from cross-installing the iPod capable deck..

I thought -- and logic would dictate -- that it would be a straight-forward plug in with one single wire going from the deck to the iPod. Three wires, none of which are readily available, seems rather insane but then again, knowing Toyota and the stupid things they do to hinder their customers, maybe not.
It's OK Wayne, you are forgiven. 8-}

I still think a complete solution is possible (maybe from Karl?), but I hope it is an easyeasyeasy one so more can get on board.

-Brian

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kwarwick said:
So I just picked up the plug housings from the dealer, now I need to source the pins... any ideas where I can get them?

Karl
Would Radio Shack have that sort of think Karl? Exactly how specialized are these pins? I noticed in playing with some of the cables that each type of plug had different pin types...some were flat/spade pins, some were just pin-pins, and I'm sure there are some thicker round pins too. If they are specialized, would the dealer have part numbers available for them?

For electronic places in general, I can think of a few places in the US that would have what you need, but it might be a different story of availability in Canada.

If you could get them from a radio shack-y type of place, I'd imagine the price would be peanuts. Custom pins would probably be, what, 1$/pin or more? :wink:

Any updates on the project so far? Are the pins turning into a stumbling block?
-Brian

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It has been awhile since there has been any action on this thread - I know that many are probably having fun in the summer sun. I sent PMs to Karl and Bill but I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

I've tried to do some research on my own and I've had about as much luck as before...that is to say zero. No one on any other toyota-related site seems to have gotten beyond the connector problem yet.

You know how you sometimes like to think of yourself as at least SOMEwhat educated and informed...well, this sort of thing just shows you how wrooong you are. That "you" would be me, and the "this sort of thing" is trying to figure out Toyota and Scion wiring diagrams.

I paid for a day's access to Toyota's TIS website:
(http://techinfo.toyota.com/index.html) and I now have waaay more wiring diagrams for the 2005 RAV and the 2006 Scion than I will probably ever need...as well as manuals and other things (wow, that site has so much). But I came away from the download experience realizing that I was still so very far away from getting any closer than I was before. I'm in over my head, I admit it. 8-}

Hmm. I've written the next part about 5 times trying to make the question coherent. Here's to hoping I actually succeed.

This missing wire. Is it a straight across connection from the existing ipod wire to the jack at the bottom left, given this phantom wiring from the stock scion harness? Does this missing wire pick up other wires from other parts of the stereo or car system? I would imagine that the design would make everything self-contained. Once the signal comes from the ipod, it shouldn't need anything more to feed the incoming signal to the stereo. Going back to the ipod, I can't imagine that the power wouldn't be included in that path as well.

If I had all the pieces I needed, is creating your own wiring cable difficult? Mmm, even better, if I gave all this info to a stereo installer, would they be able to whip me out something pronto?

Karl, thanks for the wiring diagram. Karl and Bill, thanks very much for your useful input so far.

*Feeling pathetically ignorant, but more than happy to learn* 8-}
-Brian

(iPod through FM just blows, lemmetellyou)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update - SUCCESS!!

Ok, this is just a small update. I'm so familiar with this issue now that I could go on for pages about it, but I won't...for now.

The short story is:
- Toyota will probably never have the "missing cable" available separately
- I found a thread on scionlife.com that was a great help. There were two solutions posted on that thread. I followed one of them. I do not recommend the other one.

I found a '06 Scion tc wrecked along the route of a road trip. It took me an hour plus of careful cutting, but I was able to free the required cable from its wrecking yard tomb. The relevant scionlife.com thread also suggested talking someone who has an 06+ scion out of their cable. But, after doing surgery on a dead one, I can't recommend this option to anyone. Granted I didn't know what I was doing, but extracting it was far too invasive to be healthy to a living scion.

I installed all three cables necessary for the ipod to work today.

WOW. This was exactly what I wanted. I'm VERY satisfied.

As a bonus, I'll add that toyota is supremely unhelpful in matters like this. I mean belligerently unhelpful. Blech.

I've been seeing enough people wanting a solution that I still want to engineer a cable and make them or post the schema/how-to to help others. But now that mine works the urgency is a little less. Still, I know (now) how hard it was to get as far as I have. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 8-{

Hopefully more to come at some point,
-Brian
(never did hear back from Karl or Bill about this issue...hope they also got theirs working)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If any of you out there have an 06 scion ipod radio or are thinking about it, please let me know - I'm trying to gauge interest in making the required missing cable. If it is worth my time and effort I'm going to try fabricating them so others can get ipod capability on this great radio.

-Brian

B

·
0 Posts
Anyone figure out a way to get the ASL working?

From the manual:
ASL: During drive, noise in the car changes according to the driving speed and road conditions. The automatic sound levelizer (ASL) monitors such varying noise and automatically increases the volume level. If this noise becomes greater, the sensitivity (variation of volume level to noise level) of ASL can be set to one of three levels. Turning the VOLUME knob changes the ASL setting as follows: Turning the VOLUME knob clockwise OFF -> Low -> Mid -> High. Initial setting is low.

Do Ravs have the same wiring for the speed pulse signal?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
belikespre said:
Anyone figure out a way to get the ASL working?

From the manual:
ASL: During drive, noise in the car changes according to the driving speed and road conditions.
I never did check regarding the feasibility of getting this feature working in the RAV. I was just happy to get the iPod capability. It sounded like a nice-to-have feature, but it was not the feature of the radio I was really pining for.

I'd be curious to know though if you get any progress on this.

-Brian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts