Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to pass on the Venza and Instead buy a Rav 4 Prime SE in silver

We were not thinking of owning two 5th generation Rav 4 but the 42 miles all electric and the uncertainty of future gas prices convinced me to buy the Prime

I did manage to negotiate $667 below MSRP or $41,000

Not great but at least I will receive the $7,500 tax credit and the fees only added just over $100 to the purchase. ( $75 Doc Fees, $45 Temp License and $10 for title.)

I will need to fly to a small town in Oregon and drive back to Utah where I will get hit with sales tax.

I purchased their one and only 2021 Rav 4 Prime they were allotted.

My Rav 4 Prime arrived in USA today and it should be delivered to the dealer in about a month.

There is no way an SE will MSRP for $38,100. That is the base price and Toyota will always add a package.

In my case I got the weather package, cross bars on the roof rack all weather mats and a couple other items totaling $41,667 MSRP

I was pleased there were no dealer add on and I managed to at least get them to knock off $667 from the MSRP.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Some Oregon dealers added the security device for around $350. When I purchased my 2020 RAV4, the dealer did that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's got to be the most imaginative reason for buying a new car that I've ever heard.
Crazy horse,
It is short sided thinking to believe gasoline will remain $2 a gallon. Buying an automobile capable of traveling 42 miles on electricity which is not as price volition as gasoline and a $7,500 tax credit is smart.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
Congratulations! Are you the first member of RAV4World to buy a Prime?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Today I decided to pass on the Venza and Instead buy a Rav 4 Prime SE in silver

We were not thinking of owning two 5th generation Rav 4 but the 42 miles all electric and the uncertainty of gas prices if Biden becomes President convinced me to buy the Prime

I did manage to negotiate $667 below MSRP or $41,000

Not great but at least I will receive the $7,500 tax credit and the fees only added just over $100 to the purchase. ( $75 Doc Fees, $45 Temp License and $10 for title.)

I will need to fly to a small town in Oregon and drive back to Utah where I will get hit with sales tax.

I purchased their one and only 2021 Rav 4 Prime they were allotted.

My Rav 4 Prime arrived in USA today and it should be delivered to the dealer in about a month.

There is no way an SE will MSRP for $38,100. That is the base price and Toyota will always add a package.

In my case I got the weather package, cross bars on the roof rack all weather mats and a couple other items totaling $41,667 MSRP

I was pleased there were no dealer add on and I managed to at least get them to knock off $667 from the MSRP.
Congratulations. Have you considered an XSE model? If you, can you plz share your thoughts on deciding between that and SE?

As this car is in high demand, how did you manage to get the discount? Any additional insights would be helpful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Let’s say you want to take your RAV4 Prime on a family trip total distance 500 miles. Doesn’t really matter the distance just more than 40 miles.

What happens if you can’t plug it in at all? I’m wondering will it operate just like the regular hybrid engine? Will the gas engine charge the battery in the car the same as the standard RAV4 hybrid?
if you never plug it in and operate in the option mode (electric and engine mode) Is this basically the exact same as the standard hybrid?

What I’m getting at is I understand on short trips you will be able to use pure electric power. I am just wondering how this works if you have to go on longer trips?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I waited until the Venza drive impressions were released on YouTube yesterday morning and decided to give it a try and googled every dealership in Oregon and called a small out-of-the-way dealer and asked if they had any Rav 4 Prime and he said they had a spec sheet on the one and only.

I asked if he could send it to me via text

Unfortunately when there are only 5,000 in all of USA you take what you can get and it was a SE in metallic silver with a base price of $38,100 + $1,125 destination, weather package, roof rails, weather mats and it ended up $41,667 MSRP.

I waited until he texted back if I had any questions (5 min did not want to appear anxious) and this was my exact reply:

“No. A little more than we are looking at. We are also looking at a Venza locally in Utah.

I wish it did not have the weather package.
I think my wife and I may be interested at $39,000. Which is about $1,000 more than what I read the SE without leather seats will go.”

The salesman asked cash or financing and I replied “ Is there a preference”

I waited 10 min for a reply and he came back with we cannot go $39,000 $41,000 plus fees is the best we can do.

I called him asked what fees would be added : $75 doc fee, $45 temp 30 day license, $10 title, $299 security etching.

I told him he can remove and replace all the glass that I am not paying for serial number etching on the glass. He dropped it and I accepted the offer of $667 below MSRP and he took $1,000 over the phone told me the Rav 4 arrived from Japan yesterday and it is in Portland.

I asked if he would pick me up at the airport and he agreed and that was it.

I will post my driving impressions when I take delivery in a few weeks.

Russ

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let’s say you want to take your RAV4 Prime on a family trip total distance 500 miles. Doesn’t really matter the distance just more than 40 miles.

What happens if you can’t plug it in at all? I’m wondering will it operate just like the regular hybrid engine? Will the gas engine charge the battery in the car the same as the standard RAV4 hybrid?
if you never plug it in and operate in the option mode (electric and engine mode) Is this basically the exact same as the standard hybrid?

What I’m getting at is I understand on short trips you will be able to use pure electric power. I am just wondering how this works if you have to go on longer trips?
According to TLC on YouTube if the battery is drained it will operate as a hybrid averaging 38 mpg.

TLC discovered on a 77 mile trip up and down Colorado Rockies they averaged 89 MPGe and what was cool as they drove back down they actually added 6 all electric miles in regenerative energy going down hill.

The 5.6 second 0 to 60 is always available because Toyota made sure the battery will never completely drain out just like the hybrid model when it goes below a point the engine will recharge.

Long flat trips you will get 38 mpg as a hybrid

Short trips less than 42 miles all electric. If you let the computer decide with a full charge battery you will get 94 MPGe. (TLC on YouTube went 77 miles on hilly terrain and managed 89 MPGe

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
Congratulations! Are you the first member of RAV4World go buy a Prime?
He must be. And since we don't have a forum for Prime I guess discussions will stay in 4.5 Hybrid.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He must be. And since we don't have a forum for Prime I guess discussions will stay in 4.5 Hybrid.
I originally called Portland Toyota about one month ago and they were accepting $1,000 deposits but stopped when they hit 15 deposits and when Toyota our a 5,000 unit cap on the 12 zero emission states (ZEV)

There may be others taking delivery before me but I have money down on a vin Rav 4 Prime.

I purchased without seeing g it but at least I know the color, model and features and most important price I will be paying.

Portland Toyota could not tell me what color or price I would be placing a $1,000 deposit.

It is hard enough to buy sight unseen I cannot put down money when I have no idea what the final cost will be.

I feel very blessed I was able to buy under MSRP

This year will be a first I will not pay any federal tax after I deduct $7,500 + $2,500 college + church contributions

Pretty cool that we will be able to pay off most of the Rav4 Prime after our Federal tax return next Spring.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Crazy horse,
It is short sided thinking to believe gasoline will remain $2 a gallon. Buying an automobile capable of traveling 42 miles on electricity which is not as price volition as gasoline and a $7,500 tax credit is smart.
Okay...if you say so.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As you can see I don’t think it is possible to buy the Rav 4 Prime SE for $38,100

·
Registered
724 Posts

If you never plug it in it will work almost exactly like the Hybrid. The gas fuel economy is slightly lower (36 vs 38 MPG on the highway) so it has a lower range and will cost a bit more in fuel on road trips. On the other hand, the larger battery in the Prime means it won't saturate when coming down mountain passes, which can be helpful for some people. When the battery saturates the engine turns on to provide engine braking, so you're losing efficiency in two ways, actually.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you never plug it in it will work almost exactly like the Hybrid. The gas fuel economy is slightly lower (36 vs 38 MPG on the highway) so it has a lower range and will cost a bit more in fuel on road trips. On the other hand, the larger battery in the Prime means it won't saturate when coming down mountain passes, which can be helpful for some people. When the battery saturates the engine turns on to provide engine braking, so you're losing efficiency in two ways, actually.
Thank you for that. It seems to me that if you can’t plug it in you would actually be better off with a normal hybrid. For me personally I go on long trips once in a while so looks like a standard hybrid would be the best choice for me. I like all the extra power but I worry a lot of times driving the car I won’t be able to plug it in.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just curious about what is involve to be have the plugin available at home?

Does it require an electrician to prepare the garage?

Does it use 220 or 110 VAC used for charging?

·
Registered
23 Posts
@RussC Congrats on your purchase! As the first documented Prime owner, can you post your purchase details in the "Official Prices Paid: Rav4 Prime" thread? I want to start collecting data points for this community.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts