Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It comes with a 120 v charging cable

It takes 12 hrs to recharge if you have the 3.3 kWh onboard charger Which I just checked I have

I have a 220 v plug in my garage and plan to buy the 220 v charger which will cut the time to 4.5 hrs.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It comes with a 120 v charging cable

It takes 12 hrs to recharge if you have the 3.3 kWh onboard charger Which I just checked I have

I have a 220 v plug in my garage and plan to buy the 220 v charger which will cut the time to 4.5 hrs.
Thank you for the details.

I can only imagine that the 220 connection also have the same advantages as my hot tub. The 110 version would have caused havoc with my electric bill but the 220 version was much more gentle.

You called the charger "on-board". Is this in the vehicle or is it a box between the 110 plug and the vehicle connection?

So once it's charged it shuts off or goes to a trickle to maintain the charge of 100%?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)

I can only imagine that the 220 connection also have the same advantages as my hot tub. The 110 version would have caused havoc with my electric bill but the 220 version was much more gentle.

You called the charger "on-board". Is this in the vehicle or is it a box between the 110 plug and the vehicle connection?

So once it's charged it shuts off or goes to a trickle to maintain the charge of 100%?
Jfox

It is in the Rav 4.

I have no idea after charged if it shuts off or trickles.

I am still about a month away from delivery

I read if you upgrade the onboard charger you can cut the 220 v time in half to 2 hrs

However, because you are limited to what the dealer receives there will not be any orders. You will get what they get.

I am ok with 4.5 hrs 220v using the 3.3 kwh onboard charger.

12 hrs for the 110v is too slow.

I just want to have plenty of time to recharge after my 58 mile round trip commute and I don’t get home until 6:30 pm and leave again at 6:30 am

In theory I should have a full charge but it is pushing it and you mentioned it may be more efficient going 220 v

My work may installs a few level 2 chargers In the parking lot which would help.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thank you for that. It seems to me that if you can’t plug it in you would actually be better off with a normal hybrid. For me personally I go on long trips once in a while so looks like a standard hybrid would be the best choice for me. I like all the extra power but I worry a lot of times driving the car I won’t be able to plug it in.
If you can't generally plug in then it comes down to how much the extra power interests you.

When it comes to long trips, remember that you can start out with a charged battery, which offsets some of the downsides. The break-even point for cost in fuel is somewhere around 300+ miles, it's only after that where the normal hybrid is cheaper (by about $0.40 per 100 miles). And for range per tank, the Prime actually has a longer range in the first tank because of the battery, though it evens out in the second tank (the break-even is at 21 gallons).

The point being, as long as you can even occasionally recharge the two are pretty similar. I'd say it's basically a wash for road trips where you're only going to use maybe 1 or 2 tanks of gas. And if you only go on trips longer than that occasionally, it's probably not enough to be a deciding factor.

But for some people, charging might be a rare thing. Maybe they live in an apartment, for example. The Prime doesn't make as much sense for them unless they really, really want that extra power.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I am in the Oregon area and looking. Please add your sale info to the thread:

·
Super Moderator
9,980 Posts
I also bought below MSRP which I did not anticipate at the time I posted

We also did not know there would only be 5,000 available.
Anyway you look at it these two facts mean you got an amazing and enviable deal!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Congrats on your purchase. I am in the Oregon area and looking. Please add your sale info to the thread:

Just finished with all the info you requested.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Anyway you look at it these two fact mean you got an amazing and enviable deal!
Dr Dyno,

When I Googled all dealerships in Oregon I picked a small out-of-the-way dealership thinking they probably only had one allotted.

Timing was good. When I called the salesman told me he had a spec sheet for one that just arrived in the Port in Oregon the day before I called.

I jokingly said who in the office had their name on it?

I was pleasantly surprised when he said no one and when there were zero ad-ons I felt very blessed and again blessed the manager was willing to go down from MSRP of $41,667 to $41,000.

It is a lot of money and the most I have ever spent on an auto. (Purchased a 2019 Rav 4 XLE hybrid for $27,900 and paid off last month)

I am numbers guy and am very blessed with a good job and a very financially minded wife.

We always payoff our auto loans in 2 to 2 1/2 years so the cost becomes a very big deal when negotiating.

What I found compelling buying was the fact that with my daughter in college I will get back $2,500 from the hope tax credit in 2020 tax year, $7,500 credit from the Rav 4 purchase and doubling up my tithing contributions will allow me to itemize my deductions which I figure will reduce my tax liability another $2,500

Bottomline next Spring we will have zero federal taxes owed for 2020 tax year and we will take the federal tax refund Of $12,500 and drop it all on the Rav 4 Prime.

Yes very blessed.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Dr Dyno,

When I Googled all dealerships in Oregon I picked a small out-of-the-way dealership thinking they probably only had one allotted.

Timing was good. When I called the salesman told me he had a spec sheet for one that just arrived in the Port in Oregon the day before I called.

I jokingly said who in the office had their name on it?

I was pleasantly surprised when he said no one and when there were zero ad-ons I felt very blessed and again blessed the manager was willing to go down from MSRP of $41,667 to $41,000.

It is a lot of money and the most I have ever spent on an auto. (Purchased a 2019 Rav 4 XLE hybrid for $27,900 and paid off last month)

I am numbers guy and am very blessed with a good job and a very financially minded wife.

We always payoff our auto loans in 2 to 2 1/2 years so the cost becomes a very big deal when negotiating.

What I found compelling buying was the fact that with my daughter in college I will get back $2,500 from the hope tax credit in 2020 tax year, $7,500 credit from the Rav 4 purchase and doubling up my tithing contributions will allow me to itemize my deductions which I figure will reduce my tax liability another $2,500

Bottomline next Spring we will have zero federal taxes owed for 2020 tax year and we will take the federal tax refund Of $12,500 and drop it all on the Rav 4 Prime.

Yes very blessed.
Just a word of caution ... both the Hope and the EV tax credits are non-refundable, so you only get a refund up to your tax liability. So if your taxes paid in 2020 is less than $10k you'll lose the credit. It sounds like you might already know this from how you worded things, but it's important to keep in mind. You might consider waiting to increase your charitable contributions until the very end of the year so you have more control over how the numbers work out (donate too much and your tax liability decreases and you lose out on some of the tax credit). You can always wait until January to donate the remainder (and then save on next year's taxes instead).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just a word of caution ... both the Hope and the EV tax credits are non-refundable, so you only get a refund up to your tax liability. So if your taxes paid in 2020 is less than $10k you'll lose the credit. It sounds like you might already know this from how you worded things, but it's important to keep in mind. You might consider waiting to increase your charitable contributions until the very end of the year so you have more control over how the numbers work out (donate too much and your tax liability decreases and you lose out on some of the tax credit). You can always wait until January to donate the remainder (and then save on next year's taxes instead).
RavDoug

Thanks.

It will be very close but it looks like I will be able to take full advantage of the Rav 4 credit and Hope Credit.

First time I will owe zero federal taxes for a year.

Russ

·
Registered
92 Posts

110 volt and 220 volt are going to use just about the same electricity to charge the car (a quick google search shows that 220 is about 5% more efficient, that could add up over the years!).

If one is going to be in the same house for a while, it's worthwhile to install a 220 volt outlet for the 5% or so energy savings. I read (I think) in the manual that the battery cooler only activates when the car is being charged via a 220volt outlet, so you'll be able to prolong the life of the battery if you keep charging it on a 220volt outlet as well (then again, this cooler will use a little extra energy, but it's good to prolong that battery life!)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
110 volt and 220 volt are going to use just about the same electricity to charge the car (a quick google search shows that 220 is about 5% more efficient, that could add up over the years!).

If one is going to be in the same house for a while, it's worthwhile to install a 220 volt outlet for the 5% or so energy savings. I read (I think) in the manual that the battery cooler only activates when the car is being charged via a 220volt outlet, so you'll be able to prolong the life of the battery if you keep charging it on a 220volt outlet as well (then again, this cooler will use a little extra energy, but it's good to prolong that battery life!)
Cyprus,

please send me a link of the 220 volt charger I will need for the Rav 4 Prime.
Thanks
Russ

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
$500 is a junk fee.
As you see from my picture of the breakdown

$38,100 base fee for SE model.
$1,120 destination fee
$2,447 optional equipment (From Toyota)
$41,667 Grand Total.
-$667 discount
$41,000 sale price before fees.
$41,277 all fees temp license title
I pay sales tax registration in Utah
I will say Oregon doc fee is much less at $75 vs $299 in Utah.
The etched serial number in the glass at $299 in Oregon I quickly said no way and they retreated quickly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for sharing this. A dealer nearby is trying to charge me an additional $500 processing fee saying the $1120 fee is charged by Toyota and is not by the dealership.

Have you faced anything similar?
comectclick
Is the $500 a doc fee?

Can’t negotiate doc fees.

Russ

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cyprus,

please send me a link of the 220 volt charger I will need for the Rav 4 Prime.
Thanks
Russ
I'll be honest, I haven't purchased one for myself just yet, but I've been told by my brother who has an EV that basically anything works as a charger as long as it has the right amperage, voltage rating, and wall+vehicle plug setup. For the car it's a J1772 (which is the standard north america) plug for the connection to the vehicle. Some chargers have some extra "fancy" features, like telling you how much power they've used per day/month/etc.(I think you can find some that connect to your wifi router too). I don't know if anyone really needs any of that though, since the car will monitor electricity usage for you.

Here's a link to some on Amazon:

Do you already have an outlet in your garage? If not, and depending on your background with electricity, you might want to reach out to electrician first before purchasing a plug. If efficiency at the charge point is a goal, I've heard that it's even better to hard wire the 220V car plug straight into the wall to minimize extra heat loss at the plug itself.

Also, how many people in this forum plan on (or would love to) attempt to install their own outlet/plug setup? If you wait a few months (for when I inevitably buy a Prime myself), I'll likely make a really nice post about how to go about installing an outlet, picking a charger, etc. I love little DIY projects with some challenge like this. I also may just stumble across something solid from a tesla/nissan leaf forum. I just haven't started digging around yet, lol. When I know the car's coming (like you now) then I'll start preparing, haha.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If that earlier mentioned ordering is same as byuing, then I bought my RAV4 Prime 14.2.2020. Its like yours XSE with all in. Genuine leather seats, Blueprint. Only moonroof is out, couse I didnt want it. Wintertyres with Nokian R3. And its on the way. VIN code ends with 171X. And thats official VIN code. So IM vaiting to leave my older RAV4 hybrid ti dealer and getting the new one under my ass.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'll be honest, I haven't purchased one for myself just yet, but I've been told by my brother who has an EV that basically anything works as a charger as long as it has the right amperage, voltage rating, and wall+vehicle plug setup. For the car it's a J1772 (which is the standard north america) plug for the connection to the vehicle. Some chargers have some extra "fancy" features, like telling you how much power they've used per day/month/etc.(I think you can find some that connect to your wifi router too). I don't know if anyone really needs any of that though, since the car will monitor electricity usage for you.

Here's a link to some on Amazon:

Do you already have an outlet in your garage? If not, and depending on your background with electricity, you might want to reach out to electrician first before purchasing a plug. If efficiency at the charge point is a goal, I've heard that it's even better to hard wire the 220V car plug straight into the wall to minimize extra heat loss at the plug itself.

Also, how many people in this forum plan on (or would love to) attempt to install their own outlet/plug setup? If you wait a few months (for when I inevitably buy a Prime myself), I'll likely make a really nice post about how to go about installing an outlet, picking a charger, etc. I love little DIY projects with some challenge like this. I also may just stumble across something solid from a tesla/nissan leaf forum. I just haven't started digging around yet, lol. When I know the car's coming (like you now) then I'll start preparing, haha.
Cypruscorner

My neighbor is an electrician and I am going to have him move my 220v in my garage closer to where I plan to park our Rav 4 Prine.

Big thanks on the link
I ordered a 40 amp “Amazon Choice” $189 with a Tesla adaptor.
Reviews were 4.8 out of 5 stars.

21 - 40 of 130 Posts