Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
110 volt and 220 volt are going to use just about the same electricity to charge the car (a quick google search shows that 220 is about 5% more efficient, that could add up over the years!).

If one is going to be in the same house for a while, it's worthwhile to install a 220 volt outlet for the 5% or so energy savings. I read (I think) in the manual that the battery cooler only activates when the car is being charged via a 220volt outlet, so you'll be able to prolong the life of the battery if you keep charging it on a 220volt outlet as well (then again, this cooler will use a little extra energy, but it's good to prolong that battery life!)
The cooler comes on with 220V to mitigate the additional heat that is generated by charging faster. Charging slower means there's time for the heat to naturally dissipate into the environment, so a cooler isn't needed. I highly doubt 220V will prolong battery life -- it will be equal, at best.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cyprus,

please send me a link of the 220 volt charger I will need for the Rav 4 Prime.
Thanks
Russ
It's acutally not really a 220v charger that one needs, it's a 220v cable. The charger will run on 110 or 220. It will charge faster on 220. It's the same 3.3kw charger in each case. (unless you get the upgrade to the 6.6kw charger in the XLE)
Any of these:
Amazon.com : 220 charger for electric vehicle
Some state will subsidize a charger. (again, really its just a cable)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It's acutally not really a 220v charger that one needs, it's a 220v cable. The charger will run on 110 or 220. It will charge faster on 220. It's the same 3.3kw charger in each case. (unless you get the upgrade to the 6.6kw charger in the XLE)
Any of these:
Amazon.com : 220 charger for electric vehicle
Some state will subsidize a charger. (again, really its just a cable)
So are you saying you can just get $30 dryer cord attach evse plug Amazon.com: Couplago New J1772 Plug 32 Amp Level 2 208V - 240V SAE Type 1 USA Standard: Automotive and plug in directly to the 240 volt outlet?

·
Registered
92 Posts
So are you saying you can just get $30 dryer cord attach evse plug Amazon.com: Couplago New J1772 Plug 32 Amp Level 2 208V - 240V SAE Type 1 USA Standard: Automotive and plug in directly to the 240 volt outlet?
Most car chargers I've seen have an additional control box that manages something(perhaps safety related), I'm actually not too sure what purpose they serve, because otherwise I'd agree that I think you only truly need the outlet, cord, and plug to vehicle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well no, not really. There are some electronics in the cord to keep people from being shocked, and to turn on/off the power after the pins mate. Here is how to build one yourself:
And from wikipedia, this one is a bit simpler:

So the cable have some control circuits. But the actual charger is inside the car, unless we are talking about fast chargers like Tesla. There is an alternate version of j1772 for DC, I don't know much about that. But that would put the actual charger outside the car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This is what I bought for my ordered RAV4 Prime

it should charge from empty in 4.5 hours with the 3.3 kWh charger onboard the Rav 4 Prime SE

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does Prime have tow eyelets in the front?
It is a big negative that Adventure/TRD has no tow eyelets.
I think this was asked before, but I cannot find it. I think it does, but I might have seen it in one of the youtube reviews. so, no way to search. Check the videos and look for the small panel in the bumper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RussC, I think you probably will be able to use the external charger that comes with the Rav4 Prime and run it at 240V to get the faster charger time.

I have a Chevy Bolt, and its charger works at 240V as well as 120V. Also, I found this video which indicates a Prius Prime standard charger also works at both voltages. I can't yet confirm if this is also true for the Rav4 Prime, but it probably will.

In the video, the guy is adding a new 240V circuit to his breaker box. You already said you have a 240V socket in your garage, so you might only need an adapter to plug your supplied Rav4 Prime charger into it.

The issue is that such an adapter is hard to find. You can get adapters on Amazon or Walmart, but they usually convert 240V to a standard 120V socket and the voltage will only be 120V. They do not include the second 120V line that a 240V socket has which you need to get 240V.

While it can be done, you probably don't want to wire a standard 120V socket (called a NEMA 5-15 socket) to 240V (and it probably violates electrical code). If someone plugs a standard 120V device into such a socket, it could not only destroy the device but could also start a fire.

You can get a custom adapter here. I'm not sure if cheaper ones are available...

240V adapter

The more elegant solution is to add a dedicated 240V electrical socket dedicated for Level 2 EV charging. If you later get another electric car, you can probably use the same socket (but not for two cars at the same time). Most dedicated EV chargers use a NEMA 14-50 socket (search for "NEMA socket diagrams" which will show what they look like) with a dedicated 50 amp circuit which usually is installed by an electrician unless you are very handy.

You then purchase a Level2 EV charger from a place like Amazon. They come with various charging capabilities, usually supplying 16A, 32A, or 40A. Any of these will work for the Rav4 Prime. It doesn't matter if the EV socket can supply more current than the Rav4 Prime's internal power supply can use, the internal power supply will limit the current used.

If you add a dedicated circuit, you need a circuit breaker rated high enough so that no more than 80% of the rated EV charger current is used. If you install a NEMA 14-50 socket with a 50A breaker, then it can handle up to a 40A EV charger.

By the way, there is another federal tax credit if you install and EV Charger. You can get a nonrefundable credit (must also owe sufficient taxes to get it) of 30% up to $1000 spent on the charger ($300 max credit on top of the $7500).

EV Charger Credit

·
Registered
2 Posts
A couple of things to add regarding charging a Rav4 Prime...

I now notice the standard Prius Prime power supply in the video is labeled 120V. So the guy in the video may be taking some risk (besides not being an electrician). However, the Chevy Bolt included power supply is also labeled 120V and I've seen a lot of reports and products (like the one I linked) which run it successfully at 240V. I don't know how the Rav4 Prime standard charger is labeled.

Also, a 16A Level 2 EV Charger is good enough for the fastest charging time on a Rav4 Prime with the standard 3.3 kW internal power supply. If you upgrade to the 6.6 kW version, then you need a 32A EV charger to get the fastest charging time, which usually is rated at 7.68 kW. As I mentioned, there is no harm (other than in the pocket book) in getting a 40A EV charger, and it will give a faster charging time for most electric cars (still not as fast as a "fast charger" which I don't think will be supported on the Rav4 Prime).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
A couple of things to add regarding charging a Rav4 Prime...

I now notice the standard Prius Prime power supply in the video is labeled 120V. So the guy in the video may be taking some risk (besides not being an electrician). However, the Chevy Bolt included power supply is also labeled 120V and I've seen a lot of reports and products (like the one I linked) which run it successfully at 240V. I don't know how the Rav4 Prime standard charger is labeled.

Also, a 16A Level 2 EV Charger is good enough for the fastest charging time on a Rav4 Prime with the standard 3.3 kW internal power supply. If you upgrade to the 6.6 kW version, then you need a 32A EV charger to get the fastest charging time, which usually is rated at 7.68 kW. As I mentioned, there is no harm (other than in the pocket book) in getting a 40A EV charger, and it will give a faster charging time for most electric cars (still not as fast as a "fast charger" which I don't think will be supported on the Rav4 Prime).
thanks. I ordered a 220v Charger.

41 - 60 of 130 Posts