Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,980 Posts
Dr. Dyno
I have requested a separate category for the PRIME and was shot down. Can you please explain what the issue or issues might be for not creating one? Thanks!
I'm not privy to how the forums are set up. JuneBug used to do it on the old forum of over a year ago but now says it's been put out of his reach too.
I guess technically "4.5 RAV4 Electric Hybrid" does cover both the "standard" hybrid and the plug-in one.
But they'd be in separate 4.5 subforums of 4.5 RAV4 Hybrid and 4.5 RAV4 Prime if it was up to me.

Reactions: jupiterking

·
Super Moderator
9,980 Posts
If you want to change the title the official date we get the keys will be Aug 7th.
I edited the title today (7/31/2020) to reflect the fact that your "Bought today" is actually next month.

Reactions: jupiterking

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dr Dyno,

That is kind of you.

The Rav 4 Prime SE will arrive at the Oregon Dealer between Aug 3-5

We purchased Southwest tickets for Friday, Aug 7th.

If you want to change the title the official date we get the keys will be Aug 7th.

I will take pictures and post.

Everything has fell into place. We got the financing today for 1.9% for 60 months and we hope to have her paid off in 2 1/2 years.

The vehicle is already on my insurance policy since I had to take the check today from the credit union.

The airport is an hour from the dealer and they are going to pick us up and have the battery fully charged and a full tank of gas.

We should be in and out in 15 minutes at the dealer since everything was done over the internet.

Russ
Congrats on the SE!

Is that rate through Toyota Financial?

I set aside some money last year to buy the R4P, but seeing how low it is I might just drop it into the mortgage.

·
Registered
First toyotas...'20 Rav4 xse Hybrid and '20 Highlander Limited
5 Posts
So much wrong information here.

There's several ways to make a CVT, and only one of them uses a belt and pulley. Toyota hybrids don't have any belts at all -- others have posted the videos as proof, so I'll leave it at that. Nissan also has something called a "toroidal CVT" which (as far as I know) they've only used in one vehicle, but also doesn't have a belt. I seem to remember something about them bringing it back for some future models, but don't quote me on that. And if you look outside of automobiles, there's a whole world of options for CVTs: cones, hydrostatics, magnetic power split devices, ratchets, and more.

Also, the non-hybrid ICE used in the RAV4 (and Camry and others) is actually considered to be an Atkinson cycle as well. The EPA has an incredible document on this engine here: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2019-04/documents/sae-2019-01-0249-benchmarking-2018-toyota-camry-2.5-liter-atkinson-cycle-engine-cooled-egr.pdf. Variable valve timing allows the engine to operate as an Atkinson cycle for efficiency while cruising, but then use Otto when needed for power. The Hybrid version of this engine always runs in the Atkinson cycle IIRC (with an even higher compression ratio), making up for the lack of power with the electric motors.

But no, there's no launch gear at all in these hybrids. There doesn't need to be, because the instant torque of the electric motors is enough. Toyota made a huge mistake with the "eCVT" nomenclature for their hybrid transmissions. It's technically correct, but leads to all sorts of confusion because the technology has absolutely nothing to do with the types of CVT you see in virtually every other car.

We're talking Toyota's new gen direct shift 6 speed CVT in a Rav4 hybrid, not a tranny in an electric only vehicle. Perhaps you missed the subtleties of the new '19-'20+ Toyo CVTs but the graphic shows the operation of it's metal push drive belt and demonstrates the existence as well as it's launch gear.

Seems some Lexus also uses belt type CVT's

In fact the '19-'20 RAV4 contains both types of transaxles. The front driven by a combo ICE and electric power supply which uses the belt type CVT tranny to compensate for extreme power demands when electric motor is decoupled and driven on ICE only. I live in the mountains and on a long uphill slug the battery drains and the ICE powers both the wheels and charges the battery while the electric motor is idle. The non CVT rear axle is electric only and contains an integral internal electric motor which unlike an ICE driven axle does not need gear change compensation necessary for rpm dependent max. power application.....so no need for gear reduction as done in trannys with planetary gearsets or direct shift CVT's belt/pulleys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thomcat, the RAV4s have an 8 speed traditional automatic while the RAV4 Hybrids have eCVTs. Neither have the Direct-shift CVT which has been rebranded to Dynamic-shift CVT for 2020.

The eCVTs found in the hybrids do not have any belts. They are made of a planetary gearset with two motor/generators, one for starting the ICE and recapturing energy while idling, coasting, and braking while the other is the primary traction motor. The rear differential also has a single motor/generator which enables the AWD and the recapturing of kinetic energy while braking.

Please see the attached screenshots to see how Toyota differentiates the transmissions in their promotional literature.

·
Registered
587 Posts
We're talking Toyota's new gen direct shift 6 speed CVT in a Rav4 hybrid, not a tranny in an electric only vehicle. Perhaps you missed the subtleties of the new '19-'20+ Toyo CVTs but the graphic shows the operation of it's metal push drive belt and demonstrates the existence as well as it's launch gear. Don't have to believe me, just your own lying eyes in the video.
The video says nothing about that CVT being used in the Rav4 hybrid (or any other Toyota hybrid). I would ask you to show documentation that this tranny is used in the Rav4 hybrid but you can't because the eCVT in all Toyota hybrids uses a planetary gear set, no belt or launch gear.

Every Toyota hybrid is labeled as using "Hybrid Synergy Drive". From Wikipedia: "The HSD also combines an electric drive and a planetary gearset which performs similarly to a continuously variable transmission."

Wikipedia: Hybrid Synergy Drive

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Congrats on the SE!

Is that rate through Toyota Financial?

I set aside some money last year to buy the R4P, but seeing how low it is I might just drop it into the mortgage.

Utah First Credit Union had a July special of 1.99% for 60 months on new automobiles.

I asked the dealer in Oregon and Toyota had no finance offers for the Rav 4 Prime.

Kind of funny I have a Prime on my insurance and interest is being added daily on the loan for an automobile I have not seen nor has it yet arrived at the dealer.

We have airline tickets for next Friday and the dealer will pick us up at the airport.

Russ

121 - 130 of 130 Posts