Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just ordered this dual dash cam from amazon but it says 5 volt. The battery outlet on my rav4 2020 hybrid LE says 12 volt. Can I use the dashcam or will it cause problems?
Thanks

·
Registered
645 Posts
Depends on the camera. 1A will always be sufficient. A lot of these chargers/adapters provide 0.5 A, mostly not enough and they overheat very quickly. Almost any 5V phone charger will work fine too .
Just read your remark about the cylindrical plug. There should be a notice on it about the power needed and provided. And of course read the manual...

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
It has a cylindrical plug for connection and not a usb for power supply.
If it fits a cigarette lighter style outlet then it's for a 12V outlet and is the 12V to 5V adapter you need.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If it fits a cigarette lighter style outlet then it's for a 12V outlet and is the 12V to 5V adapter you need.
This is not always the case, might be a truck connector that runs on 24V... I'd rather be sure and read the manuals.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
This is not always the case, might be a truck connector that runs on 24V... I'd rather be sure and read the manuals.
We don't have any 24V systems on cars in the US. But I do agree the manual should confirm it's a 12 plug.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hello,
I just ordered this dual dash cam from amazon but it says 5 volt. The battery outlet on my rav4 2020 hybrid LE says 12 volt. Can I use the dashcam or will it cause problems?
Thanks
Don't get me wrong, but every new dual camera setup that I've dealt with usually comes with a lighter adaptor, if not a 12V to 5V adaptor with the more expensive cameras.

Could you list a link to the camera where you bought it, or the name and model #? I believe with that information you'll get a more solid of an answer to your question instead of speculations.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't get me wrong, but every new dual camera setup that I've dealt with usually comes with a lighter adaptor, if not a 12V to 5V adaptor with the more expensive cameras.

Could you list a link to the camera where you bought it, or the name and model #? I believe with that information you'll get a more solid of an answer to your question instead of speculations.

Have a good day.
It is called Chortau Dual Dash Cam front and rear on amazon listed for $44.98. Model number is B-T13.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,
Thanks
The 5 Volts charger's output is for the camera connection. The input of the charger is 12 Volts standard plug to be connected to the 12 Volts outlet on your car. Capish?

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is called Chortau Dual Dash Cam front and rear on amazon listed for $44.98. Model number is B-T13.
This setup comes with a lighter adapter to supply power. Unless your lighter outlet stays live when the ignition is off, the security features will not be available.

To take full advantage of this camera, you have to have it connected to a power source that is always on. You can purchase a 12V to 5V DC convertor that can tap power from a fuse location that is always on.

If you have a power mirror or sunroof, you can tap into the power there with this:

Call them and they can put the round end on that your camera requires.

Good luck with the install.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My favorite cars have had one socket that was on/off with the ignition and one that is always on. Best of both worlds. Older cars (70's 80's) that had actual cigarette lighters were always on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts