Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I've got a new 2005 RAV4 and would like to know if there's a way to disable the Brake Assist.
When I need to apply the brakes quickly (but not in a panic), the darn Brake Assist takes over and suddenly I'm nose-diving and watching things slide off my front seat. (I don't do this a LOT, but it's happened twice to me and I'm glad I'd read the owner's manual which explains this.)
I'd rather contol the stop myself, so I don't get rear-ended by someone.
Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just learn to apply the brakes softly and gently. I have learnt it and I am sure any one else can. I also drive our Corolla sometimes and that has no brake assist and I do not have any problem switching between the RAV4,2 and the Corolla. Just give your self sometime.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've been driving an '05 GMC Yukon in addition to my Rav, and it has the brake assist and all the other nifty gadgets. It took some getting used to, because you don't feel as much pedal feedback as you would with standard brakes. I guess the soccer moms have a hard time stopping their lumbering SUV's. The brake pedal in the Yukon feels almost like the clutch pedal in my Rav, so it was definitely an experience when I first started driving it. However I have gotten used to the pedal feel, and it's nice to know that all I have to do to stop a 6000 lb. vehicle is stomp on the brake pedal, even without a heck of a lot of force.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It is a very annoying feature, especially for those of us with quick foot reactions but know what to do once our foot hits the pedal. Car thinks fast=panic!
To disconnect it would probably kill ABS( which I could care less about) and low tire pressure warning.
34000 miles in my '04 and i've gotten used to it but still get surprised now and then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Shar Pei Puppy said:
It is a very annoying feature, especially for those of us with quick foot reactions but know what to do once our foot hits the pedal. Car thinks fast=panic!
To disconnect it would probably kill ABS( which I could care less about) and low tire pressure warning.
34000 miles in my '04 and i've gotten used to it but still get surprised now and then.
"Some surprises are better than other surprises". Surprised that you stopped just in time (or two feet short) of hitting the car in front of you is a good surprise . There is the other kind of surprise where you actually end up hitting the car in front of you and that is a bad surprise. Guess which surprise did not have the brake assist?
Just kidding! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts