Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a 5 prong adapter on my Rav4 and all lights work including backup lights. I am upgrading my trailer and putting brakes on it and want to install a Reese IQ 850700 and also plan on using the 3040-P adapter. What I don't understand I see on this forum people talking about a white wire under the dash, but I don't know where it is used in the installation. Also where does the Blue wire connect. If you plug one end of the 3040-P into the Controller and the other end into the Connector under the side panel. How do I get the blue wire to the 7 prong connector?

·
Super Moderator
9,566 Posts
First, unless Toyota added it after my 2006 model year there will be no "Connector under the side panel" to plug "the other end (of the 3040-P) into." If there is that'll save you wiring the four wires individually which connect like this:

White = ground. Connect to something metal under the dash that looks like it goes the the frame.

Red = brake signal input. Connect to a wire on the brake switch that energizes only when braking.

Blue = brake driver output. You'll need to run an additional wire the length of the car to connect to the brake pin on the 7-round connector. Some install videos show running it under the vehicle but I prefer snaking it behind and under the panels inside. (While running the wire it's a good idea to run a second with it for live trailer power if you ever need it.)

Black = +12V power. This is the one that goes to the white open-ended wire that's hiding up above the parking brake mechanism behind the dash. It's worth the standing-on-your-head effort to find it because it's powered by a 30A fuse slot in the right side underhood fuse panel. Otherwise you have to run a wire to the battery and add an inline fuse.

Have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I put the 4 pin plug in I used a Tee connector off the back lights and then had to run a wire to the battery. Could I reroute this wire and connect it to the white wire, and also continue on to add the power for auxiliary power for the trailer? Also if the plug is there( Which I have read on this forum people with 2009 and up say the connector is there). I believe I saw the white wire it was stuck in a red plastic connector on the brake pedal. I also found the missing 30 amp fuse location so I can energize the white wire.

·
Super Moderator
9,566 Posts
If "the plug" is there it would have to have all four connections, power, ground, brake switch and brake driver. Check for it first and see if adding the 30 fuse sends power to it. And it would have a blue wire running back to the 7-round connector.

If you can't find it you could indeed get power (for the black controller wire) off your battery wire if it's at least 12 gauge. But then as I mentioned you'd have to add a 30A inline fuse and wouldn't be using the white wire powered by the 30 Tow fuse.

·
Super Moderator
9,566 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are correct I removed the kick panel on the drivers side and there was no connector. I will wire as you said and will use the white wire on the black power connector. Can I also attach the wire for my 4 prong tail light converter currently on the positive terminal of the battery, I already have a fuse on it at the converter?

·
Super Moderator
9,566 Posts
yes, you'll be all set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts