Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a lot of dark brake dust on my front wheel covers when I clean my 2015 Rav. I have less than 10,000 miles on it. Is this a normal thing? I don't brake hard when stopping and I don't ride with my foot on the brake. Appreciate any info. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
I wouldn't consider that abnormal since the front brakes do most of the stopping. Dust builds up on the front wheels of all cars to a greater or lesser extent. It varies a lot with the type of driving one does - more in city or hilly areas, less on the highway where the brakes are used less.

Also varies with the pad material. Yours still has the stock pads I'm sure but when it's time to change you'll have many options for ones with less dust or maybe even a different color dust. The dust doesn't bother me so I just choose pads for service life but I'm sure other members will make suggestions.

The only concern would be if the buildup on one side is significantly heaver than the other. That might indicate a sticking caliper, but that's unlikely on a new car such as yours.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
It could be that Toyota or its supplier has changed the brake pad formulation for the 4.4 generation. My 4.3 doesn't have any evident brake dust on wheels or other components.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
It could be that Toyota or its supplier has changed the brake pad formulation for the 4.4 generation. My 4.3 doesn't have any evident brake dust on wheels or other components.
Same here. I was very surprised to see that the OEM pads didn't produce dust on my alloy wheels like other cars I've owned. And I have since replaced my pads with identical OEM Advics pads and still no dust.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i had the opposite experience. I had more brake dust on front alloy wheels with oem advics pads. i switched to raybestos professional grade ceramic pads with centric premium rotors and have a lot less brake dust. i would say a 90% improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts