Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1: So, the last time I did my brakes, I was having trouble put one of the brake guide pins/bolts back in because of a rubber/nylon ring that goes on one of the pins. Only one of the two pins per side uses the ring. I've attached a picture with a red arrow showing where the ring would go. Can anyone tell me if the rubber ring is important to have on or can we get away with not using them?

2:Additionally, there was some crud/corrosion (lime/rust) building up inside the hole where the pins slide into. The only way I could think of trying to clear that up was to wrap a piece of sandpaper around a screw driver to sand the inside; but, it was really time consuming. Is there a special tool designed for cleaning/smoothing out the brake guide pin holes?

Thanks in advance for your insight and help.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Use a wire bore brush. Figure out what caliber is closet to the bolt, get the next size up and clean the guide pin hole. Walmart or Dicks will have a good selection. Grab a can of CLP gun cleaner too, squirt a little on the brush.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
I use a drill bit just a little smaller than the bore and wrap it with emery cloth.

To keep the ring on the end of the pin you have to grease it very lightly since trapping air in the bore is what forces the ring off. In fact just a dab of grease in the far end of the bore works because it doesn't air lock until the very end. Also wipe any excess grease off of the flat side of the pin to allow the air to escape.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The nylon ring that goes around the guide pin on mine broke so I threw it out and used without it. I am not sure it has any effect with out it and so far no problems.

If you can't get rid of the rust inside the hole of the guide pin just get new ones which are inexpensive. I would put some anti-seize grease in the hole to prevent rusting in the future.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Threw that piece of rubber (or nylon) at the end of the pin. Did not see any difference.
Mine pits and get corroded.
I even changed the pins and the same thing happened.
I just sand, grease every other year.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Threw that piece of rubber (or nylon) at the end of the pin. Did not see any difference.
Mine pits and get corroded.
I even changed the pins and the same thing happened.
I just sand, grease every other year.

If the slide pins are corroding every year then maybe using a certain incompatible grease is swelling the rubber pin cover which is allowing water in. I recommend 3M Silicone Paste which is safe on rubber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts