Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to replacing my four brake hoses today (Dorman brand, from RockAuto), and used for the first time my new Motive Products pressure bleeder.

The hoses were much more difficult to replace than hoped due to the old fittings being somewhat corroded. Used Liquid Wrench for several hours on them, and lots of careful back-and-forth wrenching (10 mm flare nut wrench, 17 mm open end on the hose ends {with a ViceGrip to keep the 17mm in place}) so as not to twist the brake lines.

I used the universal adapter for the pressure bleeder. The adapter was very tight to get on due to having cruise control (cables go over the master cylinder). Also, getting the retaining chain around the bottom of the MC was challenging -- ultimately I used a hooked wire to fish it around then attach it to one of the adapter's J-hooks. Used about 10 psi and several cups of new fluid to flush and bleed the system.

Still need to put the wheels back on and test drive the RAV4.1, but the brake pedal is already feeling very firm. Was way past due on flushing the brake fluid ...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Test drive went very well. The brake pedal is a little harder than it was, but no huge change was expected due to this work being preventive maintenance.

Hadn't driven the RAV4.1 for about a month due to a new/used fancy daily driver that I fixed up recently. Really enjoyed driving the RAV4! Might go back to it ... one too many cars ... tough, tough choice to make soon. :-{

1 - 2 of 2 Posts