Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'97 Rav4L. A weird problem just cropped up. I've owned the car for 5 years so this is a new one. When the car is running everything is fine. When you shut the car off the dash "brake" light comes on, sometimes dim and then full bright, other times full bright right away. If I restart the car the light goes off. If I leave the car off, key out, and pull up the parking brake slightly it extinguishes the light. Put the parking brake handle back down and the light comes back on. Has something to do with the switch in the parking brake lever I'm thinking. The odd part is that light shouldn't come on with the key off and out should it? Anybody have this problem can shed some light? Thank you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, the problem only lasted one day. It hasn't done it now for a couple of days. I guess I'll just hope it doesn't start up again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow, okay. I think the alternator is working okay because the headlights work fine and the "gen" or "alt" light doesn't come on. Oh well. Thanks.

J

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind, if the "brake" light comes on, most of the time you ether have a pressure loss in your brake lines, or your e-brake is stuck engaged. But, you would diffently notice if one of those were happening. However in your case, it sound like a loose connection somewhere along the line...just an idea. :wink: I'd just keep a eye on it.

J

·
0 Posts
When was the last time you checked your brake fluid? Does your rav have ABS?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fluid is good. No ABS, wish I had it. The key to this one is that the light only came on when the key was off and/or removed from the car. It would not light up when the car was running. Those other problems would only set the light on if the car was running I'm pretty sure. I think this had something to do with the switch on the e brake lever. Oh well. If it never happens again that'd be fine.

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah, if the key is in the "off" position, and this happens, it diffently sounds like a short on the brake lever switch like you said, or the connection to the blub itself. You should be fine, like I said, I'd just keep an eye on it. :wink: It just might work itself out, and you may not ever see it again....**knock on wood** :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts