Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Rav4 with 69,000 miles. The front brakes were replaced at 47,800. The rear brakes are original. This morning the brake light came on while driving. The odd part is it did not come on full bright (such as when you put on the parking brake) only half bright. I checked and found my brake fluid was low. I filled it up but no change. I parked the car and a few hours later I got back in, now the brake light is very dim (barely noticable). I had my brakes checked and the mechanic said the brakes are OK. Also he said disconnected 2 sensors and the light still stayed on very dim. He said it seemed like a possible short in the wiring somewhere. Has anyone ever seen something like this?
:? :shock:

C

·
0 Posts
I used to have a Mazda pickup that the brake light came on when the fluid got too low, but that was either on full bright or not on at all. I would think that if it is really dim it could be the switch for the brake. Usually on the bottom side of the e-brake at the base there is a switch that controls the light, if that is faulty it could be passing a partial current. Other than that I wouldn't know.

By the way, if you have ABS or traction control make sure the 2 disconnected sensors were not for the ABS or traction control system. Both systems would need to read the speed of each wheel to allow for compensation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brake light went out the next day, although sometimes it seemed to come on at first start very very dim, then went out later. The sensors were disconnect for troubleshooting but reconnected when he was done. If I pull the Emergency brake the light comes on full bright. After a few more days it seems that the light now stays out. I'm chalking it up to gremlins and will remember to check the brake fluid more often. Thanks. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts