Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm new here. I was pulled over by a police officer, who said my left brake light is out, so I went to O'Reilly's to get a new brake light. Ha. They told me there that I need to replace the entire back lighting box. I am not a car person, so I don't know what it's called. They said it will run about $150, and my son found one for around $55. I'm just wondering, before I replace it if I really need to do that. There's one little light in the light box that lights stronger for brakes, and all the rest light up, but not strong like for brake lights, when I turn my headlights on. So, do I really need to replace all of those lights in my 2006 RAV or could it be something else causing the problem, like a computer connection or something?

Anyone else have a problem like this? How did you fix it? Help!

Thanks a bunch, WendyNug

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
The brake & tail lights are an LED module not just a bulb as in other cars. I've never heard of a failure. I suppose it's possible but wonder if something else is causing the problem. If so replacing the lighting box won't fix it. Does the car have any kind of trailer light wiring or module that might be interfering?

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
The video may apply to later model RAV4s since I know a some point Toyota switched back to filament bulbs, but my '06 has a multiple-LED brake/tail light. The OP's '06 would be the same.
Edit: From the taillight assemblies I found on eBay the video would apply to 2009-2012 models, not 2006-2008s

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Okay, I took a look at the schematic and internally to the tail light assembly (the light box) there's a resistor in series with the LEDS to allow for the tail light (dim) function. That, or those resistors get bypassed by a diode or diodes for the brighter brake light function. The fact that both left and right brake lights are powered in parallel and the OP says, "There's one little light in the light box that lights stronger for brakes" means some of the internal bypass diodes are bad.

Interpretation: Replace the whole assembly and a quick check of eBay shows $55 is a good price.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Okay, I took a look at the schematic and internally to the tail light assembly (the light box) there's a resistor in series with the LEDS to allow for the tail light (dim) function. That, or those resistors get bypassed by a diode or diodes for the brighter brake light function. The fact that both left and right brake lights are powered in parallel and the OP says, "There's one little light in the light box that lights stronger for brakes" means some of the internal bypass diodes are bad.

Interpretation: Replace the whole assembly and a quick check of eBay shows $55 is a good price.
Dang, all that for a brake light bulb? Who's better idea was that anyway:mad:

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Dang, all that for a brake light bulb? Who's better idea was that anyway:mad:
I much prefer LEDs over individual light bulbs. The OP's failure being the only exception I've heard of, LEDs rarely fail wheres it seems every other day I see a vehicle with a burned out bulb. To me going back to bulbs is a giant cheap-out to just save car manufacturers a few pennies.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
The video shows how to change the incandescent bulbs for the backup lights, turn signals, and side marker light. The tail lights/brake lights are LED's, and this is the first time since I've been here that I've heard of one failing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts