Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with a 3rd generation RAV4 take a look at their brake pedal/ brake light switch. I noticed today that my brake lights are staying on. When I went to look at the brake light switch, I see that the plunger is not making contact with the "tab" on the brake pedal itself. I was wondering if a piece fell off this brake pedal tab. The tab is made entirely of metal. Did a spacer piece fall off? Thanks in advance. I should have taken a picture of the assembly.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
I haven't looked at mine, but those switches are usually adjustable. Do you see an adjustment of any kind to move the switch closer to the tab?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The switch makes contact only when you've pressed the brake down usually. Sounds like the switch is sticking in the closed position. Have you tried manipulating it, maybe try to squirt some contact cleaner-lubricant into it?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I believe that switch relies on the pedal coming UP far enough after braking to turn off the brake lights.

I believe that switch is also adjustable for protrusion length, to accommodate the brake pads wearing down and thus the pedal not coming up as far as it used to.

I had to slam HARD on the brakes to avoid an accident about a year ago. Right after that, my brake lights wouldn't go off.

I stuffed a box under the brake pedal to keep the lights off until I could leave for my appointment to get it fixed. They had it fixed in just a few minutes, and said it was just a switch adjustment.

IIRC it looks something like this:

the white plunger on the left actually points down to the brake pedal arm. When the pedal comes back up, it pushes the white plunger in, which causes the brake lights to go off.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
72 Posts
While you are figuring out your problem you might want to at least pull out the brake light fuse so as not to drain the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I went to the dealership and looked at a 2010 RAV4 to see how the switch worked. It looks like the metal tab that contacts the switch somehow got bent out of place. How it happened I do not know. I rebent the tab and now all is good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts