Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a special place in my heart for hating tailgaters on the road. Although I do drive with the flow of traffic up to 20 MPH above limit, there's never a lack of a-hole drivers in my neighborhood. Does anyone have any brake light (stop light) upgrade recommendations so I can street legally deter people who's invades my rear automobile personal space?

·
Super Moderator
11,095 Posts
Don't know if it would work and I haven't seen it on a car but on motorcycles guys add a unit that makes the brake lights, light in their case, flash while they are holding the brake pedal.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,088 Posts
The brake light blinker is easy to install on the top brake light. Its not legal to install on all the brake lights. Some areas have laws limiting them to "pulsing" instead of flashing.
There are many variations, some have adjustment on how fast and how many blinks. They are all over eBay and Amazon.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
There is this solution via Ebay- they don't have flashing capability unless one also obtains and installs a flashing mechanism, (easy to do). Supplemental lighting is pricey for 4th gen. RAVs, much less so for gen. 3. If installing a flasher some states limit the number of flashes, e.g., for CA it is four flashes. Many flashing devices are adjustable for the number of flashes. Don't know whether these would work in the Hybrid bumper:

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you are dealing with an a$$hole, lights won't make much difference to them. Unfortunately, the middle finger or a brake check seems to be the best deterrent.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I have a special place in my heart for hating tailgaters on the road. Although I do drive with the flow of traffic up to 20 MPH above limit, there's never a lack of a-hole drivers in my neighborhood. Does anyone have any brake light (stop light) upgrade recommendations so I can street legally deter people who's invades my rear automobile personal space?
Definitely with you on the tailgating issue. No excuse for it. What I have had pretty good success with, on local roads, is turning on the left turn signal and leaving it on. They usually back off, unsure what I am going to do.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I have used the flashing 3rd brake light for about 5 years on 2 vehicles. Not a scientific test, but it seems to back them off a little. Sometimes you have to show it to them a couple times.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
If you are dealing with an a$$hole, lights won't make much difference to them. Unfortunately, the middle finger or a brake check seems to be the best deterrent.

Unfortunately doing especially the first suggestion in the U.S. may result in the other driver producing a weapon and begin shooting. The second may also result in road rage of varying degrees. One never knows how the other person will react.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
I used to get road rage over the same thing. Nowadays I simply take my foot off of the go pedal and make them go around. If they rear end me in this state it's their fault no matter what. I used to brake check but morons with guns makes me a moron if I do that. I found that out the hard way in Birmingham, Al.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The brake light blinker is easy to install on the top brake light. Its not legal to install on all the brake lights. Some areas have laws limiting them to "pulsing" instead of flashing.
There are many variations, some have adjustment on how fast and how many blinks. They are all over eBay and Amazon.
Was wondering if you can tell us specifically how you installed this on the top brake light..??
Expect my '17 Rav4 Limited has the same wiring set-up as your RAV4..Would appreciate...Thanks

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Was wondering if you can tell us specifically how you installed this on the top brake light..??
Expect my '17 Rav4 Limited has the same wiring set-up as your RAV4..Would appreciate...Thanks
About a 15 min job, there's enough slack in the wires in the spoiler to splice one right in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info....
Maybe its just me., but just where do you unscrew lens to get to bulb area..?? I see no place where there are screws..?? Could you are anyone possible be more in detail on removal of third light lens or anyother way to get into the bulb area...Many Thanks

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Maybe its just me., but just where do you unscrew lens to get to bulb area..?? I see no place where there are screws..?? Could you are anyone possible be more in detail on removal of third light lens or anyother way to get into the bulb area...Many Thanks
Been a while since I did this, but I think this model needs you to open the hatch and remove the top inside trim section, should pry right off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll give it a try tomorrow..I see no other way..Be nice to know where the clips are located at...Appreciate your input...Will keep you posted....Thanks again..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Been a while since I did this, but I think this model needs you to open the hatch and remove the top inside trim section, should pry right off.
Quick update...Absolutely right, just pop open the short plastic covering inside lift gate over third light and you have it..Strobe light works perfectly and to me another safety feature..Thanks to all for your help...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts