Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Rav4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I've got 2 99 rav4's. On one of them the back brake lines need to be replaced but I can't quite figure out how to get to the connector point under the hood. My uncle looked at it and said it almost looks like the engine would have to come out. Figured I'd ask here and hope someone could help.

·
Read Only
1,401 Posts
Can you take a photograph of the connection point you think is not accessible?

I have done a lot of maintenance and repairs in this area of the engine bay. I generally start by removing the air cleaner box, the ducting to the throttle body, and sometimes, the fuse/relay box and the charcoal canister. Go to DIY: Replace Power Steering Rack Seal (Pinion Valve... and start at Step 5 for removal of these items. This should give you more space. Here are some more clues on removing some of these items (see the first few minutes especially):

Depending, I would not hesitate to drain the brake system as best I could and take off the brake master cylinder. This will give you more space. I might even replace the master cylinder, since I already had it out.

Be aware the brake master cylinder also contains the clutch hydraulic reservoir. Not a big deal. Just keep in mind that, after bleeding the brake system, you have to bleed the clutch hydraulic system.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Rav4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you take a photograph of the connection point you think is not accessible?

I have done a lot of maintenance and repairs in this area of the engine bay. I generally start by removing the air cleaner box, the ducting to the throttle body, and sometimes, the fuse/relay box and the charcoal canister. Go to DIY: Replace Power Steering Rack Seal (Pinion Valve... and start at Step 5 for removal of these items. This should give you more space. Here are some more clues on removing some of these items (see the first few minutes especially):

Depending, I would not hesitate to drain the brake system as best I could and take off the brake master cylinder. This will give you more space. I might even replace the master cylinder, since I already had it out.

Be aware the brake master cylinder also contains the clutch hydraulic reservoir. Not a big deal. Just keep in mind that, after bleeding the brake system, you have to bleed the clutch hydraulic system.
It'd be the one along the firewall. My uncle said that it looked like you'd have to take out the whole engine to get to it but I figured there'd be an easier way.
Thank you so much for your info

·
Read Only
1,401 Posts
If space is super tight, I think I might buy a set of crowfoot flare nut wrenches for this; attach an extension; maneuver a bit to get torque; and break free those brake line nuts. Here's a metric set from HarborFreight for less than $15:

Alternatively and as needed, I think I might take my brake line wrench and cut it with a cutting wheel so that it fit into the space.

If the nuts are rusted, I would spray them down with PB Blaster so that the PB Blaster can get into the threads and drive around a day, letting the PB Blaster soak in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.