Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting out cold I hear a slight squeal from the REAR brake area when backing out of the garage, then going forward a loud squeal, without touching brakes, that will continue up until about 25 mph! The noise is cyclical, not a continuous noise until reaching higher speeds, about 10mph. The noise then stops completely at around 25mph. Just a very slight touch of the brake pedal stops the noise of course.

My Toyota dealer replaced the original, worn rear brake pads and surfaced the rotors at 127,605 miles 9/9/2019. I returned to the dealer on 11/18/2019 complaining about the noise and they surfaced the rotors again, no charge, under warranty, at 132,279. The noise disappeared! I was on a long road trip during this period.

The noise returned with a vengeance around 01/01/2020! at 135,170 miles (after another road trip). I have an appointment on 1/20/2020 to have them try again!

Any idea what is causing this very embarrassing, loud noise?

Tom

Stunningly powerful, 2010 RAV4 Limited, 4wd, v6.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Possibly it is the parking brake, which is not a disk brake. The parking brakes are small brake shoes which operate on the small drums on the wheel mounting assembly and on at least some 4.3 RAV4s including mine they may make a noise generally for a short distance when first starting out in the mornings. Not to be concerned or worried about if that is the source of the noise.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly it is the parking brake, which is not a disk brake. The parking brakes are small brake shoes which operate on the small drums on the wheel mounting assembly and on at least some 4.3 RAV4s including mine they may make a noise generally for a short distance when first starting out in the mornings. Not to be concerned or worried about if that is the source of the noise.
Good point, but when I'm going forward and the noise is present, just lightly tapping the brake pedal makes the noise disappear, then lifting off the pedal the noise returns until getting up to speed and the noise dissipates completely. Weird.

·
Super Moderator
10,898 Posts
Resurfaced the original rotors at 127K and then again @132K? They are too thin! Why were they not replaced in the first place? If that is indeed the situation it's no wonder they make a racket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My fronts do something similar. The noises started a month or two after I got the car - so I took the front brakes apart and found that the shims were beat to shit and barely functioning. Replaced pads (with shims) and rotors, greased everything up, and life was good. Almost a year later the noises are back, so I ordered some calipers, separate shim kit, and new hardware. Rotor surfaces look good from peeking through the wheels.

I have a feeling the calipers destroyed the previous shims and have done it again. Your problem could be caliper related as well?

Another note - do your noises only occur in certain weather conditions? It's common to have brake noise after a night in the rain, after washing & parking, or other damp conditions - corrosion will build up on the rotors and just scrapes off when you start driving and tap the brakes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My rear brakes were making a scraping noise off and on a while back. Found that one of the little and rattle clips that hold the pads in place was coming into contact with the rotor. I had probably bent it a bit when I replaced my pads and rotors. I took the pads back out and bent it back into shape and all is well now. But as RTexasF explains, pretty bizarre that they didn't replace the rotors.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My fronts do something similar. The noises started a month or two after I got the car - so I took the front brakes apart and found that the shims were beat to shit and barely functioning. Replaced pads (with shims) and rotors, greased everything up, and life was good. Almost a year later the noises are back, so I ordered some calipers, separate shim kit, and new hardware. Rotor surfaces look good from peeking through the wheels.

I have a feeling the calipers destroyed the previous shims and have done it again. Your problem could be caliper related as well?

Another note - do your noises only occur in certain weather conditions? It's common to have brake noise after a night in the rain, after washing & parking, or other damp conditions - corrosion will build up on the rotors and just scrapes off when you start driving and tap the brakes.

Yes, the noise mostly happens when parked outside in humid, cold weather or rain. I've owned this car, bought new, since 9/2010 and it never had brake noise issues. I agree that it must be a corrosion issue, but I did not have the problem when the front pads were changed and the rotors surfaced.

After being parked for 3 hours outside last night I tried pulling the parking brake while moving at 5-10 mph while the noise was present and it made no difference. So the issue is for sure the brake rotor(s) and/or caliper pin or shim issue.

It is odd that the noise could be rust on the rotor, but why would a little rust rubbing up against a break pad surface make a high pitched squealing sound. The squealing sound to me is like metal on metal or a vibrating metal part.!!!!

Thanks for the input. I'm going to ask the dealer to do a disc brake overhaul and rotor thickness check. My Toyota dealer has treated me well so far. And they stand by their service, so far.

Tom

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the beast in to Sunnyside Toyota to troubleshoot the rear brake noise today. They confirmed the noise and replaced the OEM pads installed last September with 'upgraded pads' on both rear wheels. They also did a 'very light' resurfacing to boot.

Check out what the mechanic (Line E**) wrote, "Toyotas cheap pads" :rolleyes:

No charge of course because they did the original brake job. (y)

Time will tell if this fixed the problem.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The rotor should be replaced since it is getting resurfaced too many times. Toyota have cheap and good pads? I bet the first brake pads were not even made by Toyota. I just checked a few dealer pads online and the only one listed was the 04466-42060. You don't always get Toyota parts even at Toyota.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts