Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in my Engine Noise thread that I started hearing noises from the front when I applied the brakes. I think I found the issue.

Think the pads are pooched?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Possible - depends on what sort of braking the RAV4 sees, type of commuting/traveling. Pretty easy to check - pull the wheel off, look at the cutout of the edge of the caliper - you'll see the two pads pinching the rotor in the middle. Should be able to visually tell how much friction material there is left. I think minimum thickness is 3mm - but not 100% positive on that. If the pads have lots of material on them, possible you got some contaminant on the friction surface (rock, chunk of debris) that is causing the noise. Usually if they are embedded enough to cause noise, you'll notice some scoring on the rotor face.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wondering if the pads are pooched from the brake fluid. That's what's leaking on the caliper. I needed to put in almost 1/2 a bottle.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Definitely replace that caliper and brake pads. If you are planning on keeping the RAV then replace both calipers. If it was mine, I'd replace the brake hoses also. Rotors are inexpensive and are the other half of the friction surface, so I recommend replacing the rotors.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed! Flex line gasket was the culprit. Didn't even know a flex line had a gasket. Noise in brakes is still there but not as bad.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Talking of brakes I have a question that I am sure some will find silly.
However I would rather seem silly on here than at my dealers as you
guys don't know who I am in real life but they do :oops:

On the invoice it gives the tire tread depth as usual but for the first time
ever it also says "Front and rear brakes 10MM" I assume that that is good
but if it isn't please would someone tell me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the brakes are noisy I would apply Dow Corning molykote M77 (Moly paste) on the back of the brake pads (not the friction surfaces) and lubricate the caliber pins with 3M silicone paste.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with oceanmdx, but I think I would replace the brake pads. They aren't that expensive and all that brake fluid couldn't have done the pads any good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I see no reason why the brake fluid would have gotten onto the pads since the leak was on the other side.... of course if he took the pads off, he could check them and see.

Besides re-lubing the back of the pads and caliber pins, he could also lube the hardware parts with the M77.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts