Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I recently purchased a Certified 2013 Rav4 XLE FWD (32000 miles), and I can hear the axel or wheel spinning in the car. It makes a voom voom voom sound when drive (accelerating and decelerating). Can't hear it at high speeds because road noise too loud, but mostly at lower speeds. It is definitely apparent inside the cabin.

Also I can hear a similar when the car brakes as slowing down, voomvoom voom...voom.......voom. I'm thinking they are related, but not completely sure.

I drove a 2016 AWD Rav4 LE as a loaner for other work, and it makes neither of these sounds (has 1500 miles on it).

My questions is, is there something that changed between the older 4.4 gen and newer 4.4 gen? Or you think this is rotor/axle/transmission issue?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Which side of the car is it coming from? The most likely cause is uneven tire wear. When were the tires rotated? I would try rotating them and seeing if the location of the sound changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In response, the wheels appear to be brand new, but I can check tread depth and rotate if need be. I can't tell what side the voom voom sound is on, but I will do a little more investigation on that.

Ok, I listened to it again today, and have an update, and the issues are two separate ones:

1. The voom voom sound is only when the brakes are applied.

2. I can hear a spinning sound when the car is in motion, whether accelerating or decelerating. It's like I can hear the axle spinning.

I'm not sure if this pertains to only 2013 model years, but I don't hear either of these noises on a 2016 that is brand new (understanding that my car is not brand new, as I purchased certified).

Thank you for the reply!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
1. This sound could be caused by warped brake rotors.

2. Does this sound increase in pitch as your speed increases, or does it stay the same regardless of speed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. That is what I was leaning towards. It does sound more apparent on the drivers side. When I slow down, at about 15mph, I can feel the car and steering wheel slightly vibrate due to braking only at one time per revolution of the wheel, so I am pretty sure this is not right. It is also at it's loudest at this speed or most apparent. It isn't a constant sound; I hear it occur on every revolution of the wheel.

2. This sound may be related to 1. above. It it not high pitched, and does not increase in pitch or volume. I don't feel any vibrations at any time, so I don't think tires are out of balance, but I actually think this is related to 1 above now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heres the final story on this one: cause was the tires.

so i bought it certified, and was supposed to have 5/32" minimum. But after 1000 miles, went to another toyota dealership, and they said tires causing the noise, and I lost 1/32" tread depth!

I emailed continental tire manufacturer for oem tires, and they said there is no way under normal driving conditions any of their tires lose 1/32" tread depth in 1000 miles. They also said tread depth takes longer to wear the less tread you have. So the first 1-2/32" tread depth will wear faster than the than 5-6/32" tread depth.

I argued with the dealer i bought the car from, saying that it was causing excessive noise and vibration, as well as the tires were not measured correctly at 5/32" when i purchased it, as no way normal driving conditions could cause this. They said they'd put new tires on and charge me $100. I said I shouldn't have to pay for what shouldnt have been in the certification, and they basically said "i'm sorry you feel that way."

New tires installed, no noise. I believe the previous driver did not rotate the tires.

I'm going to talk to Toyota Corporate about this, unless anyone has any other ideas.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Did they balance the tires too?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts