Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the brake on my 2015 RAV4 seem to override the accelerator when starting from a stop. This is not only irritating but dangerous. On a left turn across traffic it is good practice to ride the brake a little until the rev's are up and then let go to increase acceleration. This also saves that precious 1/4 second it takes to move your foot to the brake in an emergency stop situation 'cause it's already there!

All brakes on all cars will stop a car at any RPM, even if your brakes fail you can slam it in park/reverse or turn off the key or heaven forbid use the emergency brake which is truly a cable. I have been 1/2 way thru a turn thinking the car had died realizing that some software decided it did not like my driving style and disabled the accelerator.

Don't even think about a little fun racing with this feature I guess was implemnted for people who don't know how to use the natural interlocks on the accelerator.

Anyone tells you about runaway cars doesn't know what they are talking about. I guarantee you they just did not slam on the brake.

Rant done.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,892 Posts
I have noticed that the brake on my 2015 RAV4 seem to override the accelerator when starting from a stop. This is not only irritating but dangerous. On a left turn across traffic it is good practice to ride the brake a little until the rev's are up and then let go to increase acceleration. This also saves that precious 1/4 second it takes to move your foot to the brake in an emergency stop situation 'cause it's already there!
Toyota's SmartStop technology wasn't implemented in the RAV4 until the 2011 model year. My 2008 had the ECM re-flashed to retroactively add this feature some 6 years after I bought it. This feature was brought about due to the rash of complaints to Toyota about unintended acceleration. I have never heard of this "riding the brake" technique for making a left turn, but it sounds unsafe to me. Nevertheless, the V6 gives me plenty of acceleration any time I need it without using any tricks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I believe he's referring to the practice of "brake torquing" the car to improve acceleration (I believe that is what it's called, I've never had a car with a torque converter. Only hybrids and manuals). It's a feature that's only really possible with these torque converter automatics (though some dual clutches can let the clutch slip to have a similar effect). While it might shave 0.1 seconds off if you went all the way to 60 mph, I don't think there is anything in this situation a quick right foot can't solve (people somehow manage to drive fast with 3 pedals and only two feet :) ).

Now, I do agree, however, that people who can't stop a car with a stuck accelerator need to go back to driving school. Too many people these days have no earthly idea what that little "N" is between "R" and "D." But these days, the ignorance of the masses can easily ruin the fun of a few. In the end, it's probably just protecting drivetrain components from unnecessary wear and tear, and keeping Toyota out of a lawsuit at the same time. It won't be too long before every car manufacturer implements this feature (most already have).

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
[...] even if your brakes fail you can slam it in park/reverse
Have you tried shifting your RAV4 into park or reverse while moving forward?
Go ahead. Try it.

Your foot on the brake thing is engineered out, obsolete and plain silly anyway.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Don't even think about a little fun racing with this feature

Lol lol lol at that comment. Did you not notice it is a RAV4.

And lol at saying it is dangerous. I feel much better knowing the guy behind me who can't drive has this feature. I've never personally accidentally stepped on the accelerator and brake at the same time but it could and does happen. It's ridiculous you feel this feature is dangerous so you can race it. Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol lol lol at that comment. Did you not notice it is a RAV4.

And lol at saying it is dangerous. I feel much better knowing the guy behind me who can't drive has this feature. I've never personally accidentally stepped on the accelerator and brake at the same time but it could and does happen. It's ridiculous you feel this feature is dangerous so you can race it. Lol
The RAV4 is not for racing and driving a little hard??

Look at the rav4world.com home page - the first thing you see is a RAV4 racing - they ride that brake while accelerating constantly!

or see this post: (replace _ with .)

www_rav4world_com/forums/105-rav4-news-reviews-videos/220401-rally-rav4-launches-into-nasa-rally-sport-season-opener.html

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
On a left turn across traffic it is good practice to ride the brake a little until the rev's are up and then let go to increase acceleration. This also saves that precious 1/4 second it takes to move your foot to the brake in an emergency stop situation 'cause it's already there!
Where did you hear this is "good practice"? First I've heard of it and I was never taught to drive, braking with my left foot. Except for this Rav4, which is my wife's car, all I've ever driven were manuals so you couldn't easily perform this "good practice" anyway.

Doesn't having your foot on the brake cause excessive brake pad wear and heat? Too much heat and the brakes won't be there when you need them anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Look at the rav4world.com home page - the first thing you see is a RAV4 racing - they ride that brake while accelerating constantly!

www_rav4world_com/forums/105-rav4-news-reviews-videos/220401-rally-rav4-launches-into-nasa-rally-sport-season-opener.html
Yes, but that is rally sport. It's more about maintaining momentum than straight up acceleration. Most of their left-foot braking is to change the balance of the car mid-corner and, on FWD cars and AWD cars, induce oversteer. They are on loose gravel and dirt surfaces, and this can be essential to maintaining the momentum they need to win. I bet that they have tons of things adjusted on that Rav4 for brake bias that makes it so their left-foot braking useful for more than meets the eye.

Oh, and that car's got a fully specialized suspension and is 500 pounds lighter than stock. It's built for that kind of thing.

Just watch this video:

It's all about getting the car to turn in and keeping it stable at higher speeds, and this guy does a fairly good job at explaining it.

....Also, these guys change their brake pads every 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

^^^^
:doh:

I'm actually embarrassed for you. Lol Yes, yes of course the RAV4 is for racing. I guess you didn't research your race car purchase well though since you bought a practical family grocery getter. What moron wouldn't think of a RAV4 as a competent racer. Jokes on you.
Your "driving style" as you put it, is what's dangerous and quite frankly ridiculous.

:roll:

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,892 Posts
Have you tried shifting your RAV4 into park or reverse while moving forward?
Go ahead. Try it.
I did it by accident. At work in the parking lot, practicing what I would do if I had unintended acceleration. I was going forward and while shifting to N, I went into R. Nothing happened, it behaved like I was in Neutral.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^^
:doh:

I'm actually embarrassed for you. Lol Yes, yes of course the RAV4 is for racing. I guess you didn't research your race car purchase well though since you bought a practical family grocery getter. What moron wouldn't think of a RAV4 as a competent racer. Jokes on you.
Your "driving style" as you put it, is what's dangerous and quite frankly ridiculous.

:roll:
Lighten up dude!

The RAV4 may be a compromise between an off-road/race-car and "grocery getter" but it works. I have put 20K+ miles on snowy passes, muddy roads and it does great (with snow/mud tires).

All I wanted to know is why brake torquing seems disabled on the RAV4. Is it software? AWD? etc.

PS: If you want to see brake torquing at it's finest check out your local street racing sometime (or tune into nascar).

·
Registered
63 Posts
All I wanted to know is why brake torquing seems disabled on the RAV4. Is it software? AWD? etc.
It's software that is able to function because of the throttle-by-wire systems on newer Toyotas.

Directly from their own website:

"With Toyota’s throttle-by-wire technology, which replaces traditional engine connections with a wire carrying an electrical signal to the engine, your vehicle is able to easily reduce engine power when both pedals are pressed down, assisting in bringing your vehicle to a stop safely. "

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

Lighten up dude!

ok, fair enough

The RAV4 may be a compromise between an off-road/race-car and "grocery getter" but it works.

Its not a compromise it IS a grocery getter practical Toyota cuv.

I have put 20K+ miles on snowy passes, muddy roads and it does great (with snow/mud tires).

Cant argue with that. I totally agree. As a competent snow, light mud general purpose grocery getter it is fantastic.

Because it is a grocery getter practical city car for the general public. Preventing the general public from accidentally accelerating by pressing the brake and gas at the same time is far safer than the "racers" who feel it's safer to drive with two feet applying gas and brake on left turns or trying to get a quick launch for 0-60 times. And the general public are taught to not drive that way from day one. The RAV4 is for the general public on public roads, not a track. If that is your concern then the Toyota RAV4 is not for you. Which quite frankly is something I'm not against Toyota preventing.

PS: If you want to see brake torquing at it's finest check out your local street racing sometime (or tune into nascar).

What happens on a closed race track with 18 year olds souped up 1990 civics has no relevance on a Toyota RAV4 full of groceries and a baby in the car seat driven on public roads.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also just realized this, but when you have both the brake and the accelerator pressed, your brake lights are on. So when you're accelerating forward, with your brake lights on, then decide to slam on your brakes for whatever reason, someone following behind isn't going to see your brake lights flash on. In fact, they might just think running lights, and suddenly you are rapidly slowing to a stop. Almost as if you have no brake lights, creating quite a dangerous situation. Some of these people on their phones these days (who need to have their license revoked) only watch their periphery for a flash.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
When I am at a traffic light on a hill I 'power brake', i.e., one foot on the brake pedal and the other foot slighty depressing the accelerator. Why? So when the light changes to green and I remove my foot from the brake pedal I do not roll backwards thus avoiding hitting anyone who may have been sniffing my tailpipe! It's more fun with a manual transmission. :)

Riding through a large standing body of water (a.k.a. a puddle) I will depress the brake pedal while maintaining my speed to wring the excess water from my brakes. Ever try stopping a vehicle with really wet brakes?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
As far as preventing roll back when starting off on a hill, I use the same technique in the Rav that I learned for a manual transmission. Just hold the parking brake (release button pressed in) until you feel the car begin to pull forward then release it. You can pull away without rolling back a millimeter. My latest manual car however has an electronic 3 second brake hold if you're on an uphill, gives you plenty of time to get your foot from the brake to the gas without fiddling with the parking brake. I always forget about it and tend to beat the the 3 second delay and can feel the brake holding the car back momentarily.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,892 Posts
My RAV4 has HAC (Hill Assist Control). By pressing a little harder on the brake pedal, an audible beep is heard as well as a flashing light. When you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the brakes stay on for about 2 seconds giving plenty of time to engage the accelerator before rolling back.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
My RAV4 has HAC (Hill Assist Control). By pressing a little harder on the brake pedal, an audible beep is heard as well as a flashing light. When you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the brakes stay on for about 2 seconds giving plenty of time to engage the accelerator before rolling back.
Same here.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
There was no Hill Assist Control or DAC on my 2015 or the 2016 HV, more 4.3 features lost on the 4.4. :frown

1 - 20 of 24 Posts