Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,
I think sooner or later I have to change braking pads. I have questions please help:
1. My neighbor told me I can change the disc at same time
what is practical way of doing this, to change the discs as well or have the old discs laser smoothed?

2. for the rear braking drums, how often to change or in what condition to change?

3. as well, do I have to change the pads when they are low or when I hear the squeal noise?

thank you

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
HI all,
I think sooner or later I have to change braking pads. I have questions please help:
1. My neighbor told me I can change the disc at same time
what is practical way of doing this, to change the discs as well or have the old discs laser smoothed?

2. for the rear braking drums, how often to change or in what condition to change?

3. as well, do I have to change the pads when they are low or when I hear the squeal noise?

thank you
1. Usually it makes more sense to change the rotor when you replace the pads unless they are not that old and worn down. It can be cheaper to replace rotors than re-machining them. A thin rotor will warp from too much heat.

2. The parking brake drum only hold the car while it is in park. Inspect the parking brake and clean them. Normally they last a very long time but can wear if something is stuck.

3. If you hear a squealing noise yes it may mean the pads are worn, rusty surface or something is rubbing. Check the pads thickness and the calipers are not seize.

Rust build up can cause problems with the brake system. Caliper slide pins need to be cleaned and re-lubricated periodically to ensure they don't seize which may cause uneven pad and rotor wear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advises.

one more question: where do you buy rotors and brake pads, from the dealer?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
thanks for the advises.

one more question: where do you buy rotors and brake pads, from the dealer?
Rockauto 5% coupon code

Many people get ADVICS brake pads. they are oem maker for Toyota.

you could also check ebay to see which is cheaper .

I would also suggest that you update your profile with YEAR AND ENGINE YOU HAVE or list it in you post so People will be better able to help you.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,731 Posts
I get the ADVICS brake pads from Amazon. Way cheaper than the same pads from the dealership!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, it is time for me to change brake pads and rotors. My car is 2010 Limited 3.5L
I tried to find Advics, but there is no full set available on websites.
I am thinking Power Stop KOE3054 + KOE4671 . The reason is there is everything I need in the sets, including the clips.
I am not sure whether the install clips are included if I buy pads from the dealer, and how much more I need to pay. I should visit dealer tomorrow.
This is my first time to change brakes. I need your advices on parts' brand and installation tips, please.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If you live where it gets cold and snow you should think about getting coated rotors so they don't rust so fast.

You can check Rock auto to see what's avalible for your car then check around for the best price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks,
power stop has coated brake pads and rotors: CRK4671 and CRK3054, or their combination which is CRK4101.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I installed Max Brakes ( Elite XDS Rotors with M1 ceramic pads) recently on my rear and so far I am very happy with these. They stop very good and look nice. This is their top of the line rotor and pads. The brake hardware comes with it (2 sets - so you will have a spare left. Note only the M1 ceramic pads come with the free brake hardware). Also the XDS rotors are great for corrosion. So far after a month I have not seen any rust on the rotor even after heavy rains. Price are also very good so check it out at Amazon or this link.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts