Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has replaced their own brake pads, what are a good brand and type to buy? I have had my front pads replaced by the dealer about every 20,000 miles. Are there any pads that are better and longer lasting? Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I replace my pads every 35 - 40,000 miles. I use the Bendix D862 I get at Schuck's Auto Supply (Parts America). They say they are a "lifetime" pad but I put on a lot of stop and go miles. The one thing to remember when buying pads is the real cheap ones will make a lot of noise. I have tried several different pads and brands and I get the best out of the Bendix.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Unless you change the front disk. Your best bet is to go with the Toyota pads. I changed to front disk for Powerstop disk. Braking is great but if I use the stock pads, they start to chatter. Braking is fine, but it's the noise that they make at low speed, in traffic. So, every six month or so, I drop an email to power stop and buy a set of their pads. BTW, Kelly was the one who hooked me up with these dude on the FIRST forum [the yellow and black one, remember Kelly]

If you go with stock disc, go with Toyota Pads. No noise, low dust, and reasonable price. :wink:

http://www.powerstoprotors.com/

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, I could be wrong on the bendix pads I use, but after 305,000 miles on a '98 and a 2000 (9 sets of pads) they sure seem to be doing good..... guess I better change before they start to make noise.... :cry: I have turned the rotors and only replace one pair on the '98... hummm
I guess I will have to look into that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well mensajero,
I drive in the hilly farm country of the horse heaven hills every day. From 60 - 0 about 100 times a day - and yes, I need my brakes working good. Right now most of my route has 6-7" of snow. Not as bad as last year. I get more mileage out of my tires than most of the rural mail carriers in this area. Don't know why. That is why I went with another 4.1 RAV4 this April when I replaced the '98. I have put 50,000 miles on the 2000 and don't like it as well as the '98. Don't know why, just doesn't drive the same.
Must be my old truck driving training that make these things last so long.
Stelly

J

·
0 Posts
Is replacing the brake rotors and pads a very hard feat... I was just wondering for future mods.

·
Registered
176 Posts
On the main page of this web site at the top, click on links, then maintenance favorites, brake pad replacement. To change the rotor you need to remove the caliper assembly by removing the two big bolts on the back. (not the small bolts like the one you remove to flip the caliper out of the way to remove the pads.) You might want to buy a Haynes Repair Manual for the Toyota RAV4 '96-02, number 92082, it will give a lot of info for the DIY stuff.

A

·
0 Posts
I currently have Bendix Performax on my front DBA discs, but will be trying out QFM pads next time around. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts