Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be flushing and changing my Brake & Power Steering fluids soon.

Do any of you use Synthetic Dot 3 brake fluid and what brand of power steering fluid (Dextron 111) is very good Quality?

Thanks,

Walt :D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Walt, I been playing with this hobby since the 60's. For a street vehicle (read: non race care) about any national brand will serve you well. The key is periodic flushing and replacement. In addtion to component wear, moisture and dirt get into even the tightest systems. I have given up searching for the "best" as most folks just have an opinion with little facts to back them up.

Spending more money for synth versions may make one feel better, but for a RAV, I doubt there would be any noticable benefit. I think the key is simply to replace these fluids frequently with a decent national brand.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don, :D

I will probably go with Amsoil ATF for the steering and I already have a Valvoline Dot 3 Brake Fluid bottle.

Does anyone know the Brake and Steering Fluid Capacity's? :roll:

Walt

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
waltrav said:
Thanks Don, :D

I will probably go with Amsoil ATF for the steering and I already have a Valvoline Dot 3 Brake Fluid bottle.

Does anyone know the Brake and Steering Fluid Capacity's? :roll:

Walt
Walt, when replacing these fuilds don't think in terms of capacity. The fluid is not that expensive; buy plenty and flush the systems well. Unused brake fluid must be kept in a sealed contain or you should just throw it out. When i flush the brakes generally one of the larger containers gets the job done. The small pint sized is best for just topping off. Although I have used more if I had to repeatedly flush the system to get air out after component replacement such as master cylinder or calipers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts