Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2011 2.2 D4D AWD VX and have experienced three issues. I am from Durban, South Africa.

I would greatly appreciate some advice as how to approach these as when I had approached the dealership and they have only resolved 1 issues, the issues are:
a) the low fuel display doesn't come on to indicate that fuel needs to be replaced rather the vehicle switch-off more than three times with gauge still denoting between 58 to 62 kms still to go before refuelling is required ... the dealership has changed the fuel filter and it happened twice thereafter, they have now changed the pump ... got to drive the vehicle to determine if the same issue is experienced.

b) The 2nd issue is that the brakes doesn't react immediately, rather is quite gradually, so I am scared to do a emergency stop event someone jumps in front ... dealership says vehicle was built that way and ABS would kick-in later.

c) Lastly when I switch off the traction button on the console driving on tar, the response is denoted on the gauge however after several meters, it kicks again. Is this normal ?

As it my first major investment, I want to establish piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
First off, this website is mostly for the gasoline and hybrid, we don't see much about the D4D diesel, so not much of a knowledge base for you. But here's a stab at your questions, assuming the features are similar.

a] do you mean the vehicle actually dies as though the fuel is out, but you still have fuel? Possible fuel contamination?

b] Some have reported the brake feel as fairly slow or "spongy." Mine feels somewhat slow, but is very responsive the more pressure you add. Try going to a place, like a sandy road and hit the brakes hard to see if the ABS activates and if the pedal stiffens up as you do.

c] Are you talking about the TRAC button that you push to indicate TRAC OFF? There would be no need to disable this feature while on tar pavement. It is a safety feature that works to keep the vehicle from sliding in certain situations. The TRAC and VSC and AWD work together and only come into play when there is a need, so no need to try to turn them off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Morning RAVN4RED,

Thank you kindly for the advice, had taken the vehicle back from dealership yesterday. What I have observed it is the first since I started driving it that the gauge actually got below 40 kms.

a] do you mean the vehicle actually dies as though the fuel is out, but you still have fuel? Possible fuel contamination? Yes I still have fuel, the dealership reckons that the system became air-locked.

b] Some have reported the brake feel as fairly slow or "spongy." Mine feels somewhat slow, but is very responsive the more pressure you add. Try going to a place, like a sandy road and hit the brakes hard to see if the ABS activates and if the pedal stiffens up as you do. had an issue this morning where when I tried to brake when a another jumped in front, I couldn't and had to swerve to avoid an accident.

c] Are you talking about the TRAC button that you push to indicate TRAC OFF? There would be no need to disable this feature while on tar pavement. It is a safety feature that works to keep the vehicle from sliding in certain situations. The TRAC and VSC and AWD work together and only come into play when there is a need, so no need to try to turn them off.[/QUOTE] Yes, you are correct ... thanks for the advice would not disable, I was just trying to findout the capabilities of the vehicle as I intend to go off-road this weekend. :)

First off, this website is mostly for the gasoline and hybrid, we don't see much about the D4D diesel, so not much of a knowledge base for you. But here's a stab at your questions, assuming the features are similar.

a] do you mean the vehicle actually dies as though the fuel is out, but you still have fuel? Possible fuel contamination?

b] Some have reported the brake feel as fairly slow or "spongy." Mine feels somewhat slow, but is very responsive the more pressure you add. Try going to a place, like a sandy road and hit the brakes hard to see if the ABS activates and if the pedal stiffens up as you do.

c] Are you talking about the TRAC button that you push to indicate TRAC OFF? There would be no need to disable this feature while on tar pavement. It is a safety feature that works to keep the vehicle from sliding in certain situations. The TRAC and VSC and AWD work together and only come into play when there is a need, so no need to try to turn them off.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
c) Lastly when I switch off the traction button on the console driving on tar, the response is denoted on the gauge however after several meters, it kicks again. Is this normal ?
yes the trac off will only work until 40 or 50 km/h I think, if you are stopped, you can press and hold it for about 5 seconds and it will disable it and the stability control until you turn off the car or press the button again.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Jayan, your fuel problem will have to be addressed by a mechanic well versed in diesel systems. No diesel RAVs in NA.
The brake issue sounds serious. If you can't make a panic stop, I can't understand the dealer saying "that's the way they're built". Your brake system needs to be carefully inspected, from the condition, not just the thickness of the pads/linings to the same for the rotors. The master cylinder, flexible part of the brake lines and the condition of the brake fluid itself also need inspection.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
b]... had an issue this morning where when I tried to brake when a another jumped in front, I couldn't and had to swerve to avoid an accident...

Something is definitely wrong. You should still do a hard braking test to determine if the ABS is activating. (Easier to do on a sandy or snowy road.) In a panic stop, the brake pedal should immediately stiffen along with ABS activation, and you should feel max braking power. If this is not happening you have a problem as Ravenuer mentioned. Possibly should be getting the ABS fault light also.

c] ...Yes, you are correct ... thanks for the advice would not disable, I was just trying to findout the capabilities of the vehicle as I intend to go off-road this weekend... :)
Okay, sounds like fun. And as Octane mentioned, if you have only disabled the TRAC with one quick push of the button, the TRAC will re-engage automatically as the speed increases. But if you push and hold the button for about 5 seconds, both the TRAC and VSC will be disabled and increased speed will not re-engage them. Try that and see--and enjoy the dirt in that mode. But do get the brakes sorted out first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts