Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2007 Rav4 V6 Sport (103k) and its time to replace my front brakes and rotors. Looking for recommendations on a manufacture for new pads and rotors. I am mostly a daily driver but I do like to use my V6 in and around town. I have seen some kits with pads, rotors and calipers, don't know if its best to upgrade in totality or just replace the pads and rotors. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rich-

·
Registered
30 Posts
I stick with OEM rotors and pads on all my Toyota`s
Idk about you but I'm all about saving money so I use duralast gold pads which have free lifetime replacements, just buy new ones and bring your old ones and they give you your money back. Plus who else are the official brakes of NASCAR As for rotors though I'd go with OEM

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hear you about saving money. Usually i don`t change break pads too often, maybe once in 2 years or so, ~ 30-35k on automatic and about 50k on manual trans. Rotors usually replaced after second set of pads. I never have them cut, pointless.. in the northeast rotors are really rusted after 4-5 years of driving. My mentality is.. if i spend 50 bucks on pads once in 2 years, and another 120-160 once in 4 years (depending on the vehicle) it wont kill me haha.
On the side note.. most of key components, such as breaks, calipers, tie rods, axles, bearings, spindles, seals, belts and quiet a few others, i prefer OEM parts for replacement. Never had any luck with cheaper stuff you buy at Autozone or Pep Boys. But that just me :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I see your point and my brakes and rotors wear out faster due to the fact I live in San Antonio and the gas is very cheap down here($1.75) so everyone drives a car even if they shouldn't be qualified to do so, and very hard braking happen quite often and the hot temperature doesn't help either. on some items I would only use OEM too since they will last a lot longer but I have yet to have any problems with the autozone parts I have used.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
everyone drives a car even if they shouldn't be qualified to do so
Ha, I used to live in SA and can relate! I am tough on my brakes given the V6, thanks all for your opinions/suggestions. I am not really worried about price so much, I just want buy from a reputable manufacturer so I am not replacing again in 15k miles!

Rich-

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2007 Rav4 V6 Sport (103k) and its time to replace my front brakes and rotors. Looking for recommendations on a manufacture for new pads and rotors. I am mostly a daily driver but I do like to use my V6 in and around town. I have seen some kits with pads, rotors and calipers, don't know if its best to upgrade in totality or just replace the pads and rotors. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rich-

And to piggy back Rich, I am interested in this as well. And I am only interested in the rotors. I am looking for something lighter than stock. I know, I know, lighter could mean the durability will suffer. But like Rich, I am interested on what others are out there (for weight reasons though). :wink

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi All,

Rich-

I've always had good luck with the Centric Premium rotors on my vehicles. They are tied to the same company who produces Powerstop and Stoptech Rotors. I've also used Hawk pads if I want more bite or Bendix Ceramic if I want less dust.

And to piggy back Rich, I am interested in this as well. And I am only interested in the rotors. I am looking for something lighter than stock. I know, I know, lighter could mean the durability will suffer. But like Rich, I am interested on what others are out there (for weight reasons though). :wink

Without going to some expensive 2 piece rotor, I kinda doubt that will be feasible...

You might be able to find a lighter material caliper and fabricate a new bracket. Will take a bit of research for sure.

The PikesPeak EV Rav4 had TRD brakes but I can't find much info on them.

http://www.trdusa.com/rav4.html

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have a 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 - no need to stick with OEM brake supplies.

I bought the premium brake kit (G3500 cast iron rotors & ceramic pads) last year / rears installed.
- this product ships out of the GTA-Toronto area / so Canadians save large / currently 50% off
- rotors are drilled, slotted & coated / I broke the brakes in hard, for 15 minutes
- my garage friend charged me $150 labor, to do the rear axle / include lube calipers, pins & shims
- still using original calipers, that came on the 2008 RAV4 v6 / one was sticking, mechanic fixed it

^^ Probably saved $700-800 per axle avoiding Dealership, and end up with great parts.
- could not be happier / improved stopping distance & zero noise
- brake dust on alloy rims, almost nothing
- will have the front brakes done, this fall
- since I ordered a 4 wheel kit, just a labor charge next time

MaxBrakes ELITE xDS Series Kits, shipped out of Ontario, Canada:
Brake Kits - ELITE xDS Series Kits
^^ Company also ships to USA customers.

First time I bought a 4 wheel brake kit, saved $500 in parts (for Jimmy), not purchasing from local NAPA/UAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rotor/Pads Combo

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions! Think I have my combo picked out:

Duralast Gold Brake Rotors ($59)

and

Duralast Max Brake Pads ($63)

A little pricey, but I like the 3 year warranty on the rotors and of course a lifetime warranty on the pads. Will post when I've had a chance to try them out.

Cheers-

Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts