Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. 2021 Hybrid xle currently with 10k miles, purchased new in April. No issues until now and we love the car. Recently we are experiencing a brake squeal when braking from a slow roll. Its coming from the left front tire only. It happens in reverse or forward, hot or cold. But is louder after warmed up. ONLY happens during a slow roll stop, like pulling/backing out of garage or stop and go traffic at a light.

I dont see any fluid leaks or issues with that wheel, that would cause that.

I will be making an appointment at dealer, but has anyone here experiemced this?

Randy

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
197 Posts
Hello. 2021 Hybrid xle currently with 10k miles, purchased new in April. No issues until now and we love the car. Recently we are experiencing a brake squeal when braking from a slow roll. Its coming from the left front tire only. It happens in reverse or forward, hot or cold. But is louder after warmed up. ONLY happens during a slow roll stop, like pulling/backing out of garage or stop and go traffic at a light.

I dont see any fluid leaks or issues with that wheel, that would cause that.

I will be making an appointment at dealer, but has anyone here experiemced this?

Randy
Since the mechanical brakes are not used very much yours may need some cleaning.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 Hybrid XSE
129 Posts
Mine I have had since May has also started to make that noise.
I clean the Rav frequently and use products like Brake Buster but shall bring it up with the dealership.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Happned to mine 21 rav4 xse hv 8000km as well. I did some research about the issue and found a technical service bulletin for 2019-2020 rav4 hv. I'm going to use this as a reference for my next dealer visit. I hope this benefits you all. I will come back and update the result after next week's visit. cheers

Please see Tech Tip T-TT-0623-20

APPLICABLE VEHICLES:
2019-2020 RAV4
2019-2020 RAV4 Hybrid

CONDITION:
Some 2019-2020 model year RAV4 and RAV4 HV vehicles may exhibit a front brake squeal/squeak noise when braking at low speeds.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Confirm a squeak/squeal noise is coming from the front of the vehicle and not the rear.

If a squeal noise is coming from the front of the vehicle, verify that the vehicle meets ALL the following criteria:
1) Mileage under 15,000 miles
2) First 3 digits of VIN are “2T3” OR “4T3”
3) Vehicle has not had previous front brake repairs performed

If the vehicle meets the above 3 criteria, proceed to the next step. If the vehicle DOES NOT meet the above 3 criteria, proceed to diagnose the vehicle using the applicable repair manual.

Please create a TAS case and include a video of the squeak noise.

TAS will provide further instruction. If it is a Sunday or holiday, continue with diagnosis and repair, save all parts and details (including pictures), and contact TAS at the next available opportunity

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Hybrid XLE Premium
38 Posts
I actually got a rock stuck in just the right spot once and it made a terrible loud squeal when I applied the brakes. I had to remove the tire and use something to poke the rock out and all was well. Very bizarre. This was on my 2014 FX4 F150.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 Hybrid XSE
129 Posts
Thanks for posting that Kipa. My squeak has been going on a little over a week now and is annoying now.
Sometimes it could be rocks, but this started just when temperatures dipped down for whatever reason..
Some occasions i have needed to slam on brakes because stupid drivers out here but otherwise i have not used the brakes overly much. Allowing the vehicle to come to a slow stop and the like.
My first service appointment is early December so i will bring it up with the dealer

·
Registered
13 Posts
BTW, if the dealer is giving anyone trouble, make sure you know what you are cover:
Under warranty section the service adjustments are covered free of charge under the following conditions.

THE FOLLOWING SERVICE ADJUSTMENTS ARE COVERED FOR 12 MONTHS OR 20,000 KILOMETRES (KM), WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST.
• Brake service • Wheel alignment • Wheel balance • Windshield stress cracks

Might be some difference in states, check your Owner's Manual Supplement

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks like the product will be infused into the brake pad with ingredients that reduce sticking between the pad and rotor. The product claim it will "eliminate" annoying, whining, or squealing brakes instead of reducing the noise. However, it will require monitor over time.
Is that what the service bullentin said to do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts