Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 questions.

1. My 99 Rav (without ABS) now pulsates when stepping on the brake from medium to higher speeds. I was told that this means I need to do a complete brake system overhaul. Is this true? If so what kind of Calipers, shoes, pads work best for a performance upgrade.

2. My shocks are leaking, so wanted recommendations on replacing shocks and front struts with performance & comfort rep;acements. My truck is used as daily driver, pretty flat, pavement. Eventually will be upgrade to more performance (ie CAI, Header, Catback) so I need a shock/strut that will handle cornering well. As well a provide smooth ride down the road.

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would look at your rotors first. They could be warped, which in turn may make your pads wear un-evenly.

Are you capable of popping them off to have an auto parts store or local machine shop check for run-out?

Can't help you on the shocks as I still have the OEM's

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I stop quick, my Rav doesn't pull to one side. Mainly pulsates at higher - Mid speeds.

Another issue. Now I really notice a LOT of body roll even turning the steering wheel a little bit. Is that the shocks/struts or could it be something else.

·
Registered
106 Posts
rotors

Again..........I would look at the rotors first. As far as the body roll it could be your struts. Is this something that has progressively getting worse?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm mensajero, yeah, one of the old guys here. I was reading your post and I came across this information that might help you. This is part one.

Troubleshooting The Brake System

Brake Pedal Feels Spongy:
When you step on the brake pedal it feels very soft and mushy. It should feel firm and not excessively hard. Pumping the brake pedal may make it firm once again but the softness returns after you release the pedal.

Possible causes:
Leak in brake line or hose: Replace leaking brake lines and hoses.

Air in the hydraulic system: Bleed hydraulic system

Brake fluid is contaminated with water, or has the wrong type of brake fluid: Replace the brake fluid with the fresh fluid of the proper type.

Brake pads and/or brake shoes are worn out: Replace the brake pads/shoes as required.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brakes Grab:
When you lightly step on the brakes, it feels like you pressed it very hard. Sometimes the car will pull to the left or right when this happens, or one or more wheels will lock up. It usually happens suddenly but may get worse over time.

Possible causes:
Parking brake not releasing: See above.

Brake pads and/or brake shoes are worn out: Replace the brake pads/shoes as required.

Bad front disc caliper or rear drum brake wheel cylinder: Replace or rebuild both front calipers. Replace or rebuild both rear wheel cylinders.

Brake Pedal Vibrates:

When you step on the brakes, you feel a pulsation or vibration in the pedal. This may start out slight and progressively gets worse over time. If your vehicle is equipped with Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS) this is normal under hard braking.

Possible causes:

Brake rotors have excess run out or are warped. Brake drums are out of round or warped: Machine or replace front disc brake rotors. Machine or replace rear brake drums.

Loose or broken front end steering parts: Check and replace loose and broken parts as required.

Lug nuts loose: Tighten all lug nuts to the proper torque specifications.

Wheel/tires are out of balance: Balance wheels/tires on a high speed wheel balancer.

Wheels are bent: Replace wheels as required.

Bad defective or worn tires: Replace tires as required in pairs or as a complete set.

Loose or bad front wheel bearings: Replace bad wheel bearings. Repack and retighten loose wheel bearings.

Brakes Drag:

As you are driving, it feels like you're towing the Queen Mary. The wheels may smoke and you may smell burning brakes. The wheels seem abnormally hot..

Possible causes:

Parking brake not releasing: See above.

Broken or loose parts inside your rear brakes: Repair or replace broken parts as required.

One Or More Brakes Lock Up:

When you step on the brakes, the car veers sharply to one side or the other and a wheel may or may not lock up.

Possible causes:
Brake pads/shoes are loose or broken: Replace the brake pads/shoes as required.

Bad front disc caliper or rear drum brake wheel cylinder: Replace or rebuild both front calipers. Replace or rebuild both rear wheel cylinders.

Loose or bad front wheel bearings: Replace bad wheel bearings. Repack and retighten loose wheel bearings.

Brake pads/shoes are contaminated with grease or oil: Replace the brake pads/shoes as required.

The Brakes Squeal When They Are Applied:

When you step on the brakes you hear a loud, or maybe not so loud, screeching or squealing noise. This noise may come and go, or remain constant. The car may or may not pull to one side when the brakes are applied.

Possible causes:
Dirt or brake dust accumulating on the pads/shoes: Clean and sand brake pads/shoes and rotors/drums. These will probably return in a week or two.

Brake pads/shoes and rotors/drums are glazed due to overheating: Clean and sand brake pads/shoes and rotors/drums.

Audible Wear Indicators are contacting the rotors: Replace the brake pads.

Brake Pedal Pulsates And/Or Chatters When Braking On Slippery Surfaces:
This is a normal condition for Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS). Do not pump the pedal and maintain a constant pressure on the brake pedal. Let the ABS do all the work.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: rotors

Chucks97 said:
Again..........I would look at the rotors first.
It really sound like brake rotors to me too. As far as calipers, most of the time they just need to be cleaned up & lubed up, not replaced. I've got over 165,000 mi on my RAV, and still have the original factory calipers with no probs, just cleaned & lube a couple time while changing the pads. Bottom line, you most likely need a new set of rotors & pads. As far as brand names, I go with Brembo rotors & OEM Toyota pads, and have been happy with them.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
For the second part of your question.

This is regarding to what parts can you get to improve your brake system.

If you are thinking of installing Rear disc brakes. Forget it. It is too costly. It would be better off going to a salvage yard and picking up a crashed RAV4 with the system and installing it in your RAV4. But remember, you will need the ABS system and lines with the OBC with all the parts so it will work properly on your RAV4. Good Luck. :roll: That said, their is another route that will work just as well and the cost is considerably lower.

First you should change the front rotors. I got mine at
http://www.powerslot.com/index.html
if you go to their web site you might not see them, you would have to order them.

Stainless Steel Brake Lines will do a great job to help stop your RAV4. Here is a link that have great prices because you are buying direct to the manufacture. They are the once that do work for Russell. Quality, State of the Art.
http://www.techna-fit.com/

Chew on that, I got some other places you can go for struts and shocks.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK So more likely to be a pad/rotor issue??? I am getting a squeking noise when I press the brakes now at slow speeds. Probably just need new pads. (Thats what I get for trusting a dealer!!)

Other problem just started. I will launch new post for.

In regards to the shock/struts.

What is a good combination shock that is NOT expensive.
My Rav is a city street vehicle. It also is a family vehicle so I want something with performance and comfort. Any Ideas.

Also do I have to replace strut springs??

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Easy, don't go back to that dealer. Toyota Pads are NOT suppose to squeak. If they do, they are not OEM Toyota. Simple as that.

Shocks and Struts, check with DJ Sueño. He already installed some KYBs. KYB are good all around street S/S. Koni, and Bilstein, well, are a premium package with a hefty price.

If you really want to let it all out. Their are Sway-Bars (F+R), Polyurethane Bushings, and performance Springs.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mensajero said:
If you really want to let it all out. Their are Sway-Bars (F+R), Polyurethane Bushings, and performance Springs.
Where could I get front sway bars for my Rav4? I've been looking on the internet for a few days now and I havent found any. :cry:

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
BrownBoy, that is the question of a million pennies. :lol: I was fortunate enough to get a bargain. From none other then Kelly. The owner of this forum. He put it on EBay for about 20 seconds. I bought it right off the bat. It's a TRD front anti-sway bar[FASB]. That said, let me tell you the whole story.

The RAV4.1 HAVE a FASB, but the TRD is more rigid/solid then the OEM. Also, I had to modify it a little. The two holes were too small. I just went to a machine shop and the opened it to exactly it needed. Also, it came with a set of Polyurethane bushings with the TRD emblem. To find one now a days, check with any TRD distributor. Price, :roll: about $180.00 maybe more.

Then the search was for a FASB. The guys from the forum went to http://www.addco.net/ . These people are great. Check their catalog, they have a FASB for the RAV4.1. But I think that is a back order. [they have to make it] . I've referred a lot of people to their company and they give great service.

In the Forum I installed a Addco REAR Anti-Sway bar. It worked fine, until I really put it to the test.

This was the Addco installation kit

This was the bar when it was installed

After some hard turns. This was what was left of it

I felt a hard jolt and then it was like a lizard again.

So I called Addco and told them the problem. They sent back a new, redesigned rear bar installation kit. And to everyone in the forum that bought a rear anti-sway bar...free of charge, not even shipping charges. They paid for everything. That is the way you stay in business. 8)

This is the new setup with new Bil stein Struts and Rear Anti-Sway bar.

BrownBoy, It's on rails, man. Work with Addco, these people work well with little guys like us. :wink:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mensajero said:
BrownBoy, It's on rails, man. Work with Addco, these people work well with little guys like us. :wink:
Okay, I've looked at the Addco website and I see the catalogue and the part number, but where exactly can I buy this from? Also, I don't see any pictures... :? All I really want is the front sway bar straight across in my engine (like Derek's, but red :lol: )

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Get in contact with Addco and ask them what is the deal with the Front Anti-Sway bar for the RAV4. That you see it in their catalog, but no one seems to have it available. That is the first step.

I don't think you can buy it directly from them. Check Summit Racing [or whom ever sells Addco] and place an order. It will be in back order, if not, you're lucky. Your supplier will place an order to Addco, and eventually it will arrive to you. This takes time so keep all the information and numbers together just in case. Very important, get the stock number of the bar. Be specific in year and model. But I think all RAV4.1 are all the same regarding front suspension, don't quote me on that one.

For this one, DON'T go to EBay :!: It's always availalbe in EBay :p :twisted:, if you are willing to wait about a year or so.

Once you get it, I'll bet some other member will buy it also.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, if anyone has any information on a 98' Rav4 front anti-sway bar, let me know. 8)

I'll work on tracking down these things and I'll tell you guys if I find some burried reasure. :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mensajero said:
Possible causes:

Does anyone know where i could get stainless steel braided lines for my 99 rav. I have looked everywhere i can think of, and the only thing i could find is a universal kit on summit racing for well over 200 bucks.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
JDUB1187 said:
mensajero said:
Possible causes:

Does anyone know where i could get stainless steel braided lines for my 99 RAV. I have looked everywhere i can think of, and the only thing i could find is a universal kit on summit racing for well over 200 bucks.
http://www.techna-fit.com/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts