Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month or so my brakes have been making a grinding noise right before i stop at low speed. It does not happen all the time. Seems to be louder when the brakes are cold. Not just first time in the morning. Brought it to the dealer twice and it did not happen when it was there. Figures. Dealer did take all four wheels off and showed me the brakes and they are good. Rotors and pads still in good shape. Dealer thinks it may be early ABS engagement but needs to hear the noise to be sure. Has anyone heard of this ABS issue or have any ideas what else it could be?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
IMO
it might be a bit of rust near the outside of the rotor where the pads do not touch the rotor surface, some times this will make noise on the pads, but is not dangerous.

once a year I usually clean it off with a wire brush or bang on it lightly with a hammer to break it off

Reactions: badcafe

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I recently installed new pads on our 2005 and they make what seems like a grinding noise with NEW brakes but is more of a grabbing noise as the brakes are applied at slow or nearly stopped speeds; sort of a low-pitched grabbing/rubbing noise. It is not consistent and I have no idea what causes it to be present sometimes, not most of the time. If the dealer has inspected the brakes and they are OK (you mean to say they didn't tell you that you needed new brakes all the way around....? Keep that dealer...!), then it is likely something benign and won't affect the stopping power of the brakes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brought my Rav in to get new tires this past weekend at a local shop ( not dealer). Got to talking to the owner of the shop about my brake noise issue. He told me he has seen this happen on alot of different Toyotas. Mostly Rav4, Tacomas and Tundras. He said he has replaced the brakes for people and they come back a few weeks later and its making the noise again. He thinks its dust and road debris that gets in the pads. He said wash your car often and when you do, wash the undercarriage and that helps. Sure enough when i drove the car home from his shop it was raining pretty good out. Have not heard the noise since. Now that i think about it every time it rains the noise goes away for about a week or so then slowly starts coming back. Maybe a design flaw in the brakes or do they all make noise now? I guess im from the old school where you could turn your rotors three times before you had to replace them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2014 LE with 195K miles is making that brake noise. I'm hesitant to wash the dirt off the brake parts with just plain tap water because doing that might accelerate the rust forming process. How else do I periodically clean the brake parts myself at home?

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
My 2014 LE with 195K miles is making that brake noise. I'm hesitant to wash the dirt off the brake parts with just plain tap water because doing that might accelerate the rust forming process. How else do I periodically clean the brake parts myself at home?
I'd just hose them off before you drive somewhere. The heat from a few stops will dry them so no rusting will occur.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If you want something to really CLEAN your brakes, which may be overkill, parts stores carry something called Brake Cleaner because it, well, cleans brakes, mostly used when you are replacing them etc. It comes in a spray can with a handy dandy red straw/hose/tube attached for more direct spraying. It won't cause rust, of course. As stated above, water is probably pretty good. I wouldn't be too concerned about the effect of water on brakes parts.....they are pretty much exposed to water all the time.... Unless you live in the desert....:lol:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Pads that are at the end of their service life make this noise. My wife's front brakes made a groaning noise about the last 15 feet to a stop. I checked the pads, and they had about 20% left. After tolerating the noise (and my wife's complaining) for about 3 weeks, I replaced the pads and the noise went away. As a mechanic, I know when brake pads are too thin. Waiting until they get paper thin is waiting too long.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2006. Brakes always got noisy at about 20% or less. I just changed the pads out, pad slap about every other time. Never had issues with the new brake pads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts