Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the soft braking on my RAV4 and during test-drive as well.
In the "new owners" event, another owner brought this up. Their mechanic's reply was that we have to get use to it and step firm as required.
Compared with my old maxima, I do step harder on the pedal and sometimes use down-shift to stop this wild horse in time.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I've received more than one email from RAV4 owner's with this same question. My guess is that the brake lines need to be bled. Sounds like a little air in the lines :? Definitley a dealer fix... under warranty. If they refuse to fix for free... ask to test drive another '06 RAV4 on the lot to do a comparison of how its brakes feel :!: :!:

·
Registered
165 Posts
When I test drove the V6 sport from 1st dealer, I felt the same thing. I decided to give it another try to another dealer. It was good in its class and my car's brakes felt like the 2nd dealer that I tried.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The RAV is not a car, its functions are more truck like, so you have to use more force to steer and more force to brake.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I don't agree with the "more force" comment at all. The steering one the ones I drove was very light. And the brakes were good. Not super but good. They had less power than my present car but pedal force was not much different

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You are driving a computer on wheels.

Just as the Electric Power Steering relies on sensor inputs and varies the force applied to steering changes, the braking system is integrated into VSC, ABS, traction control, etc.

Per the Toyota spec

Power-assisted ventilated front disc brakes and solid rear disc brakes with 4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
The open question is how much force will the Brake Assist program add in a panic stop :?:

PS: my brake pedal feels "soft" as well.

B

·
0 Posts
My brakes feel soft too, they say it is normal for the "new system" and we have to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I heard from a "friend" that says a few months back an early shipment of 2006 RAV4s had quite a few units with soft brakes (air in system?). Some were worse than others. Toyota sorted them out and fixed the worst of them... before shipping them on to the dealers. Could be that some of the "borderline" units are what is being commented about here... or maybe a few questionable units made it through the quality check system without being caught:?

Again... my opinion... if you think your brakes are too soft... visit your dealer... compare them to a RAV4 currently on their lot. If your brakes are noticably softer... COMPLAIN :!: :!:

I can say that the '06 units currently being shipped through Portland... brake just like any other Toyota model... NOT SOFT :D

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I have to concur with Ravman, mine stops great, even with 2000lbs+ of boat and trailer behind me!! When new they were a bit slower to stop, but that's to be expected until the brakes wear in a bit. After 500 miles, they were good to go....er.....stop!!! :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
I agree too. Actually i worry about someone hitting me from behind while stopping short. Also there is minimal dive in this SUV, I love it.

Sometimes I notice a bit fade but that is random and I think has to do with the electric steering.

If you want harder pedals get a stronger spring installed.

S

·
0 Posts
Oh Ieft this out:

Optimized King Pin Offset
A small king pin offset is used and the moment which occurs around the king pin axis is made small in order
to realize excellent vehicle stability when braking.
When force (F) is applied to the wheel during braking etc., (F) is applied at the tire center ground contact
point (A) and the king pin offset radius (L). The power of (F) multiplied by (L) tries to turn the king pin
axis. In this way, making the king pin offset smaller produces smaller moment of the king pin axis to provide
excellent vehicle stability during braking.

B

·
0 Posts
I just had my friend and Toyota mechanic bleed the brakes... at the dealership. What a difference, just like day and night, I can't believe how much better they feel now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So this RAV4 is considered normal. I had a private mechanic and a toyota dealer tested it.
The mechanic said it is quite normal for a midsize SUV.
Maybe my old maxima was teaching me to drive and brake in an optimized condition.

·
Registered
358 Posts
RAVMAN said:
I heard from a "friend" that says a few months back an early shipment of 2006 RAV4s had quite a few units with soft brakes (air in system?). Some were worse than others. Toyota sorted them out and fixed the worst of them... before shipping them on to the dealers. Could be that some of the "borderline" units are what is being commented about here... or maybe a few questionable units made it through the quality check system without being caught:?

Again... my opinion... if you think your brakes are too soft... visit your dealer... compare them to a RAV4 currently on their lot. If your brakes are noticably softer... COMPLAIN :!: :!:

I can say that the '06 units currently being shipped through Portland... brake just like any other Toyota model... NOT SOFT :D
The resonse above is the correct one.
There is so much mis-information in this thread it's scary.
I took my I4 Sport in to ask for a bleed.
What some mistake for fade is actually pressure loss due to air in the lines.
I doubt anyone here has driven their RAV4 hard enough to actually fade the brakes.
My dealer questioned me on the request then bled them.
It made a big difference.
I still wouldn't call it a firm pedal.
My Passat has firm, nosebleed brakes.
I have never driven a Toyota that would compare.
Get them bled and see if it makes a difference.
It did for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts