Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96. my brakes screech and squeel even though they are relatively new. i was scared last summer that they were going out but when i took the car in the mechanic said they were glazed over and replaced them. in a few weeks they were were squeeling again and i took it back in and they were once again glazed over and he replaced them. they do it occasionally now and i just don't pay it much mind. consumer reports said that brakes were sometimes a problem on earlier model rav4's but didn't go into much detail. i was wondering if anyone else had this problem

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine is a '96 and I've had no problems. I replaced my brakes last summer and all is well. I followed a procedure for breaking in the pads, and I can't say it didn't work.

Whether or not you have to do this in this day and age, I don't know. I do know that glazed brakes isn't good though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
what was glazed over? the pads or the rotors? both need to be deglazed...not just one. if deglazing doesnt help then try machining.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Make sure that when brake parts are replaced, they are replaced with genuine Toyota parts, which may cost more, but last longer and are high quality.

You may have a problem with one of the brake lines so that the brake caliper does not release correctly when you take your foot off the brake pedal. Sometimes it's a kink in the line, or just a clogged/damaged line. If the brake is constantly applied, it heats up and glazes over. The heat can also cause the rotors to warp and make the brakes vibrate when applied.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have replaced a lot of brake pads on a '97, '98 & 2000.
I have found the brand and type of pad makes a big difference. I only buy my pads now at NAPA auto parts. Part number RSS SS7441. I change pads twice a year and these are the best for being quiet.
'97 has 147,000 miles
'98 has 273,000 miles
'00 has 108,000 miles

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Squeeking Brakes

Squeeky Breaks?
One problem I encountered when using different brands of pads, was the size difference.. The original pads were narrower than the aftermarket (high performance) pads. The narrow pads create a narrow groove on the rotor, and the groove is offset even more by rust buildup on areas not touched by the pads.

The wider aftermarket pads will squeek if they are uneven or are touching the rusted areas. So make sure that you get your rotors turned, or at least sand them down. Warning: Brake dust is nasty. :!:

·
Registered
650 Posts
The problem on my RAV is the rear drums. Every now and then I have to tap em and clean them or they start to squeek. Also make sure its adjusted (3-4 clicks).

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sig228 said:
The problem on my RAV is the rear drums. Every now and then I have to tap em and clean them or they start to squeek. Also make sure its adjusted (3-4 clicks).
+1

Just did it today - loads of black squeaking dust that can't escape - now no squeaks --- quite easy to work on for drum brakes which are usually a pain.

In answer to the glazed over problem - have the pads still got the 4 release springs on? - some cowboys throw them away

1 - 8 of 8 Posts