Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a 2007 limited v6 3rd row seat.

I replaced the brakes with ceramic pads. The front rotors were turned. The rear rotors were not as I did not have time to get both turned.

I drove it after and did a couple of moderate braking from 35 to about 5 mph.
Then I was coming down a relatively steep hill and a car turned from a side street in front of me and I had to lay in to the brakes causing the antilock brakes to come on, didnt come to a complete stop. Everything felt fine in doing so. Car stopped straight and nothing unusual was noted.

Did a couple more moderate slow downs and all seemed well and I took it back to her house.

She drove it the next day and said it seemed as if the brakes felt funny in slowing down on the interstate and from 40 mph. It wasnt as if the ABS was kicking in but it was a little jerky. Felt like it was coming from the front. I took the front pads off to check if they were floating and everything was fine.

Everything was torqued to specs.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You can try to bleed the lines to see if that helps. On my '06 V6 LTD, I experienced a scenario where there was really no braking assistance at all. I had to floor the brake pedal with lots of distance in order to come to a complete stop. It turned out the brake booster had failed and needed replacement. I was without the RAV4 for about 4 days since the part was difficult to locate and get it to the shop. The shop owner even mentioned that it was very rare for a part like that to fail, especially at 35.5k miles.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The biggest thing to fear when using new brakes and rotors is to try not to stop quickly when going fast to heat them up. They create a lot of heat because your pressing two smooth surfaces together. Until the brakes have a chance to wear into the rotor a little, your braking will feel weak and the rotors will get hot.
If the brake pedal pulsates when braking at fairly high speed, then you probably heated up the rotors and they warped. That's a sign of very poor quality rotors. The braking effectiveness will get better in a few days if your braking system is working properly.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't turn rotors anymore since new ones are not expensive and turned ones will warp sooner...now...did you feel what your sister felt?...if not then I would tell her to give it a few days.. she could have been using the brakes while on rumble strips or something like that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts