Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad to join the forum.
Unfortunately I came because I got a problem with my RAV4 1996.
The wheels suddenly lock when I apply the brakes. This happens when I am driving slowly and suddenly apply the brakes after jumping in a pot hole. I does not happen on paved roads. When this happens, it sounds like I am driving with my hand brakes on. I changed the brake pads and had the calipers checked by my repairer. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Welcome! If your RAV has antilock brakes the ABS system may be misinterpreting what is happening and what it should do when it encounters the pot hole and sudden application of the brakes situation.

It will be interesting to read what you post about driving your RAV in Cameroon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim.

It has an ABS system. No warning signs on the dash board.
How can this problem be addressed? Should it be reprogrammed or disabled ?

Gerald

Jesus is Lord. The name above all names.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you have an abs fault there doesn't have to be an abs light on for there to be a fault code stored in the abs ECU, you can diagnose the fault yourself quite easily, sorry but I am not at home and I don't have any books or my Rav with me but if you look on Automotive Training and Resource Site you should find a section on how to decode abs faults. In brief it's something like this:
At the diagnostic terminal under the hood, place a wire between Tc and E1, you will see the abs light flash, if it's constant then there's no fault but of it flashes and then stops and flashes again, count the number of flashes, you will possibly have a two digit code. Then look on line for Toyota abs fault codes to de-code it.
Good luck sorry I can't help more.

Just looked, for a reason I dont understand I see more info on autoshop101 if I use a laptop than iPad, anyway if you can't see abs on there then google Toyota OBD1 abs diagnostic codes, you'll find plenty to help you, assuming of course you are on OBD1 .......

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Thanks Jim.

It has an ABS system. No warning signs on the dash board.
How can this problem be addressed? Should it be reprogrammed or disabled ?

Gerald

Jesus is Lord. The name above all names.

Gerald, is the braking situation something which is new, or has your RAV always done the same? If you believe that there Is a fault Ken Allistone's post has very good suggestions. If the braking situation has always existed, my suggestion would be to live with it as is. The ABS system is a good safety factor especially when driving in conditions where loss of braking traction could be dangerous. I remember well driving in slippery conditions in vehicles without ABS and when braking suddenly having a brake on one wheel lock and cause a near spinout. But at least on some vehicles the ABS can be disabled by pulling the ABS fuse (I don't know about your RAV) but that should cause the ABS warning light to appear. Yes, Jesus is the Name above all names!:smile

Reactions: gekwen
1 - 5 of 5 Posts