Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 4cyl Limited. Had a spanking brand new Transmission installed last October -including warranty it cost me nearly 8K. It is now overheating. Is there something within a brand new transmission that could be faulty causing it to overheat? I checked the Fluid level and it was fine. It is at the mechanics shop where I had the installation done last October. I am looking for other ideas and opinions before I speak to them. Unfortunately I have learned over the years that there are few mechanics shops that are completely honest with their work. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
How are you determining it's too hot?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am curious too. Are you using techstream? There are "hacks" around that lets Torque app read the transmission temperature (with an OBDII reader), but you need to provide more info on that.
What means "hot"? How many degrees?

The 4 cyl has a small water/oil heat exchanger that cools the transmission. Maybe that's clogged?

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
For 8K they should've replaced the exchanger too.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
8K for a transmission + warranty - approaching the total value of the vehicle. What sort of warranty is involved?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
That is an insane amount of money to put into car repair. I hope you have better luck with the engine since they are notorious for burning oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts