Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I have been dealing with this a few months now, and I was hoping to get some tips and tricks on a forum. I just purchased a brand new RAV4 Limited Hybrid for the wife. When we first purchased the car both of our iPhone 7 would play just fine over USB audio source. Now whenever I plug in anything no information or album art will display. Bluetooth audio source works just fine.

Entune support agents recommended updating my firmware at the dealership and un pairing and re pairing my wife's iPhone. I have done both with no luck

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a screenshot for clarity.

Thanks,

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
I'm confused. You plug a phone into the USB port? In order for that to work you must have the phone set to act as a removable storage. But why not just use bluetooth for the phone?
Put your tunes on a thumb drive if you want to use that port.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confused. You plug a phone into the USB port? In order for that to work you must have the phone set to act as a removable storage. But why not just use bluetooth for the phone?
Put your tunes on a thumb drive if you want to use that port.
Yes we do, and they used to work perfectly from USB audio source. On top of that, that is how the dealership instructed us to set it up and use it. Again brand new loaded RAV4 so maybe they are different now. You don't have to set iPhones as removable storage they work fine for USB audio.

Bluetooth does work fine but it uses a ton of battery and the album art is right 50% time thanks to garbage Gracenote.

I am considering unplugging the 12volt battery in the back of my hybrid. Does anyone think that is a bad idea?

Thanks,

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good morning,

I have been dealing with this a few months now, and I was hoping to get some tips and tricks on a forum. I just purchased a brand new RAV4 Limited Hybrid for the wife. When we first purchased the car both of our iPhone 7 would play just fine over USB audio source. Now whenever I plug in anything no information or album art will display. Bluetooth audio source works just fine.

Entune support agents recommended updating my firmware at the dealership and un pairing and re pairing my wife's iPhone. I have done both with no luck

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a screenshot for clarity.

Thanks,

Ben
I guess you mean when you "plug anything in", you mean you have tried a thumb drive and it also will not display properly. If the thumb drive works properly, then I would reformat the partition on the I phone. If the thumb drive also does not work then I would reload the RAVs software. Can you even see a song to select and play?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you mean when you "plug anything in", you mean you have tried a thumb drive and it also will not display properly. If the thumb drive works properly, then I would reformat the partition on the I phone. If the thumb drive also does not work then I would reload the RAVs software. Can you even see a song to select and play?
The phones worked just fine as a USB source when we bought the car. I have tried plugging in my phone to play something and I get the same no information screen. As you can see from the screenshot I provided there are places for the album - title and album artwork. All of which worked just fine when using any streaming apps.

How do I reload the RAV4 software? I read somewhere about unplugging the battery to reset some stuff. Bad idea?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
How do I reload the RAV4 software? I read somewhere about unplugging the battery to reset some stuff. Bad idea?
Your issue is in the phone. As already instructed, try using a plain USB thumb drive, (FAT32), does that work as expected? If so then you should be looking at the phone.

Several pages in the manual on this. One note is that if the phone is connected vie bluetooth and USB at the same time there could be trouble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your issue is in the phone. As already instructed, try using a plain USB thumb drive, (FAT32), does that work as expected? If so then you should be looking at the phone.

Several pages in the manual on this. One note is that if the phone is connected vie bluetooth and USB at the same time there could be trouble.
I believe you are mistaken. As I mentioned previously, it worked just fine from day 1 on her phone for all streaming apps, and that is how the dealership instructed us to do it to ensure the phone was charged. If the issue is her phone then why does every iPhone I plug in give the same no information for USB audio? I have also read the doc you mentioned, and made sure to disable bluetooth on the phones I was testing.

I don't want to take the time to find and format a USB drive so I can throw a few albums on there. Honestly, that's not how things work today with smart phones and streaming apps. It seems like it is in your head that if I can get a USB drive to show up as a USB audio source then my Entune system is fine. We were giving a 20 minute demo on this thing including USB audio from my wife's iPhone the day we bought it

What did you mean by resetting RAV4 software?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unpair the Iphone and see if it works as a USB device, as I understand the manual, you can't use Bluetooth and USB at the same time, that means the Iphone can't be paired at all when using the phone as a USB device
Thanks for the tip. However, I have tried unpairing the iPhone and disabling Bluetooth. If you take a look at the screenshot I provided you can see that the connected device is "Ben's iPhone", which is my personal unpaired iPhone. My wife's iPhone is the only paired iPhone with the car. I get the same results no matter what iPhone I plug in.

Oddly enough, If you click on the link that you provided the original poster said that he is getting album art track and artist info but no audio plays. I have the exact opposite problem. Her iPhone plays audio just fine over USB audio but nothing displays. No album art, or artist info like it used to display.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I don't want to take the time to find and format a USB drive so I can throw a few albums on there.
Then you're not willing to properly troubleshoot the issue. You need to demonstrate that the system is properly able to access a USB volume.

I'm not sure why you think that anything the dealer told you is correct, but if you prefer that route than take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then you're not willing to properly troubleshoot the issue. You need to demonstrate that the system is properly able to access a USB volume.

I'm not sure why you think that anything the dealer told you is correct, but if you prefer that route than take it back to the dealer.
I honestly am attempting to troubleshoot the issue. If you read my posts, the Entune system has access to the phone and plays audio from it. It just doesn't display artwork and artist info like it used to. The name of the phone mounts and displays just fine in USB audio source as "Betsy's iPhone". Mine shows up as "Ben's iPhone".

Lastly, my dealer didn't tell me anything. They did a comprehensive Entune demo for my wife, including the differences between USB and Bluetooth audio sources.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the tip. However, I have tried unpairing the iPhone and disabling Bluetooth. If you take a look at the screenshot I provided you can see that the connected device is "Ben's iPhone", which is my personal unpaired iPhone. My wife's iPhone is the only paired iPhone with the car. I get the same results no matter what iPhone I plug in.

Oddly enough, If you click on the link that you provided the original poster said that he is getting album art track and artist info but no audio plays. I have the exact opposite problem. Her iPhone plays audio just fine over USB audio but nothing displays. No album art, or artist info like it used to display.
Still don't understand. Your screen shot shows no info, and yet you say it "plays audio just fine". Do you mean you can't see the songs and it just plays them, or do you mean you can see the songs, select them and they play, but no info? If it is the latter, then the song info is not being seen by Entune/Gracenote. Trying a USB stick would sure address the issue quicker.
The last place I would look for reliable info is a dealer, especially thir sales people or sales support.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still don't understand. Your screen shot shows no info, and yet you say it "plays audio just fine". Do you mean you can't see the songs and it just plays them, or do you mean you can see the songs, select them and they play, but no info? If it is the latter, then the song info is not being seen by Entune/Gracenote. Trying a USB stick would sure address the issue quicker.
The last place I would look for reliable info is a dealer, especially thir sales people or sales support.
Yes, I should have made that more clear. When I connect my iPhone to our RAV4 it shows up just fine as a USB source "Ben's iPhone".

When I activate my iPhone as a USB source and play something from my phone it plays over the speakers but nothing displays on the screen, which is the screenshot that I attached. An empty screen displays with no album art, no artist or track info like it did previously. Does that make sense?

I feel like people are getting distracted by my dealership comment. I think you guys are over looking the fact that USB audio and info worked completely for over a month. I just mentioned the dealership demonstration because it happened, and I thought it would validate my issue. Me being a huge nerd, I remembered all of that stuff and was excited to use it with the wife.

·
Registered
225 Posts
So when you plug your phone in as a USB device, it shows on the Entune AudioSource screen Bens Iphone. And when you plug your wifes phone in it comes up as Bettys Iphone. If both phones act exactly the same when in USB mode, then take it to the dealer and get them to reload the software, otherwise reload the data partition on the phone that does not work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So when you plug your phone in as a USB device, it shows on the Entune AudioSource screen Bens Iphone. And when you plug your wifes phone in it comes up as Bettys Iphone. If both phones act exactly the same when in USB mode, then take it to the dealer and get them to reload the software, otherwise reload the data partition on the phone that does not work.
Unfortunately, every iPhone I connect has the same issue now. That is kind of why I posted a screenshot from my phone so others would know it wasn't just my wife's phone.

It just came back from the dealer yesterday and I had everything updated to 20.26, which is the latest firmware. Still no luck.

Is there a way to factory reset the Entune system? I read somewhere that disconnecting their battery for 4 hours to reset a bunch of stuff worked for them. But I don't know if that was a hybrid. Is that something I should try?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Meanwhile in other parts of the world, people are starving and drinking contaminated water. Seems kinda silly to be complaining about stuff like this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Meanwhile in other parts of the world, people are starving and drinking contaminated water. Seems kinda silly to be complaining about stuff like this.
Says the person who is a administrator for a SUV web forum. Thanks for the contribution...

Is this how you respond to everyone's issues on here? This is a community dedicated to this sort of thing. What car issue isn't trivial compared to life issues...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Unfortunately, every iPhone I connect has the same issue now. That is kind of why I posted a screenshot from my phone so others would know it wasn't just my wife's phone.

It just came back from the dealer yesterday and I had everything updated to 20.26, which is the latest firmware. Still no luck.

Is there a way to factory reset the Entune system? I read somewhere that disconnecting their battery for 4 hours to reset a bunch of stuff worked for them. But I don't know if that was a hybrid. Is that something I should try?
Seems like you did a factory reset when new software installed. Try a USB stick or factory reset your phone. Maybe Apple has done something. If a USB stick works, then for sure it is something in the phone. Hard to imaging it is Entune when the software has been reloaded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like you did a factory reset when new software installed. Try a USB stick or factory reset your phone. Maybe Apple has done something. If a USB stick works, then for sure it is something in the phone. Hard to imaging it is Entune when the software has been reloaded.
Thanks for the advice. I don't have a big enough USB drive handy, but I will try reformatting my phone before I contact Toyota again.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I don't have a big enough USB drive handy, but I will try reformatting my phone before I contact Toyota again.
I would contact the salesman who sold you the car . Drive it over and show him. He may be able to resolve it than and there or call over a mechanic to help. This is a new car don't go crazy trying to figure it out,unless you like that kind of thing,just take it back its under warranty. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts