Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am breaking in the engine of my new I4 2.4l.

Toyota says to do the first oil change at 8000 km :shock:

Will I harm the engine or void my warranty if I change my oil after 1600 km?

·
Registered
458 Posts
You probably won't harm your engine, but Dude... why would you want to risk voiding your warranty? :shrug: :doh:

RAVitUP :mrgreen: Don't JACKitUP :egad:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked with Toyota.

Changing the oil before the recommended 8000km will not void my warranty.

I will have the first oil change done at 1600 km.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interestingly the wording on breaking in the engine in the owner's manual is so that it tells you, that tou do not have to, but....

? besides the point all engines are made on CNC's and to tight limits, so break in today does not mean the same like old days.

I would not worry about it at all.

I doubt that any dirt is left in the engine.
How about this. After you guys change the oil, cut the filters open and tell us what did you find.

·
Registered
91 Posts
unless what you do directly leads to that part failure...I.E. adding a turbo and throwing a rod the dealership cannot void your warranty and there are laws to back this up and in some states even more stringent in the favor of the owner and not dealership.

If they can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that changing your oil early (or late for that matter) ruins your engine then they have a leg to stand on but thats not going to happen.

just enjoy your car, dont worry about your warranty and :D :) 8)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I too was going to do my first oil change early, but Toyota service talked me out of it.

They told me that the oil in the engine from the factory is not the same as the oil you normally use. It has special additives in it to help new engines break in. They said to leave it in for the recommended 8,000 kms. So I did.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
The G Man said:
I know some Lexus and Acura dealers actually refuse to do the 1st oil change early.
I know for a fact that brake in oil in honda has a lot of moly additive (1000ppm or so) and honda insists on keeping the oil in for 10000 miles.
Don't know about toyota. Anyone care to do used oil analysis?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yupp, it is special burring oil or call it cleansing.
If they say you should change the oil at 5K, it still good at 8K.
Renaults, Pegueots, BMW's, Mercedes Benz -you can go without an oil change even 20 K.

Do they use sepcial oil? nope, Do they use more oil? nope

So ask yourself why?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a little skeptical about this "special sauce" for breaking in new cars.

For some reason, the most informed car enthusiasts I know are not certain about this.

Some less reliable sources are either completely skeptical or totally buying into what they are told by their dealer.

My reasoning for being skeptical is because, it's simply not in the market. Obvously there would be a small demand in the consumer market because you're only supposed to need it once. It's a much better move to sell this motor oil only to dealers. However, I still think there should be a market no matter how small.

I wouldn't be suprised that some people would like to change oils perhaps every 1000 miles. This way they can get the supposed metal shavings out quicker but still have this special oil to break in the engine a bit more before switching to regular motor oils.

Thus, I will change my oil when I reach the 1000 mile mark which should come up in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The only thing I am sceptical is that a dealer does not want to earn money with an extra oilchange. That alone should be enough evidence that there is a special sauce! :?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are a millon or two additives made for oil.

Change it if it makes you feel better. The hand book says be careful only for a 1000 miles (1600 Km), I mean this is the break in period.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know that everybody is entitled to their own opinion. But what is wrong with the suggestion of the company that actually designed the engine. When they are fine with 5k miles intervals between oilchanges what can somebody like me, who has not designed the engine, neither understands fully the function in the all their entidies to say it is better this way.

I personally believe that the oil change intervals are conservitively spaced. i like the approach MB or BMW is using by monitoring the engines usage and space the interval according to the stress you put on that engine. Mostly these intervals are more in the plus 10k range.

The only thing I was surprised about was the oil they are using the in the 4 cylinder engine: 0-20W. That is awfully thin in hot summer driving. But I guess Toyota knows what they are doing...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, intervals are conservatively set.

nothing is wrong with 0 grade oil especially on higher revving engines..

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
roxtc said:
I'm a little skeptical about this "special sauce" for breaking in new cars.

For some reason, the most informed car enthusiasts I know are not certain about this.

Some less reliable sources are either completely skeptical or totally buying into what they are told by their dealer.

My reasoning for being skeptical is because, it's simply not in the market. Obvously there would be a small demand in the consumer market because you're only supposed to need it once. It's a much better move to sell this motor oil only to dealers. However, I still think there should be a market no matter how small.

I wouldn't be suprised that some people would like to change oils perhaps every 1000 miles. This way they can get the supposed metal shavings out quicker but still have this special oil to break in the engine a bit more before switching to regular motor oils.

Thus, I will change my oil when I reach the 1000 mile mark which should come up in a couple of weeks.
If you change the oil at 1000 miles, do as a favor and submit for used oil analysis. It costs $10-20.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts