Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. I just purchased a 2015 Rav4 with the 4 cylinder engine. After getting it home I noticed it had been transferred from a dealer about 3 hours away. If my Rav4 was driven on the highway for 3 hours or so to get to my dealer should I be concerned with the manual stating to "not" drive at constant speeds when brand new?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I doubt you would do damage to the engine. It is my understanding that the first few thousand miles require various normal driving conditions (city etc.) to properly break in the engine. Driving for a couple of hundred miles wouldn't do any actual damage.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Worry not. First, the odometer should tell you whether it was driven or trailered. How many miles on it?

Modern engines are so highly engineered compared to old school vehicles that three hours is nothing to worry about. To make yourself feel better, just drive it normally for a few thousand miles. No hard foot-to-the-floor acceleration. Then give her hell. :)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
11,848 Posts
As pico says, Sweat it not! I suppose all those constant speed and other warnings may have been important many years ago, like 40, but with today's engines and oils they don't matter now. Most owners pay no attention.

·
Registered
860 Posts
For the break-in period and first oil change, does it make sense to take it to 5k miles before servicing? Maybe like Honda, the first motor oil may contain molybdenum and other previous metals.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
My RAV also was sourced from another dealer some three hours' drive distant and was driven over that distance. So far no problems - any major problem would have involved increased engine oil consumption, but so far after 4 1/2 years the vehicle doesn't use any oil between changes. So I wouldn't worry - the only problems could occur if the driver had deliberately abused your RAV, which is unlikely.

·
Super Moderator
11,727 Posts
As others here have said I don't see any negatives. Folks that have run 4.4 RAV's 10,000 miles on the factory fill had a good oil analysis so no worries.

·
Registered
264 Posts
As others here have said I don't see any negatives. Folks that have run 4.4 RAV's 10,000 miles on the factory fill had a good oil analysis so no worries.

Would those UOAs be here somewhere or on BITOG? I'd really like to see one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts