Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited Hybrid
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I expect the brake pads on my 2020 RAV4 hybrid to last longer because the motors work as generators when slowing down and the brakes are used less? Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to provide.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, probably so. It depends on how you drive of course and the climate conditions since the rotors will rust eventually if there is a lot of salt used in your area but in general, the regen does prolong the brake pad life.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Can I expect the brake pads on my 2020 RAV4 hybrid to last longer because the motors work as generators when slowing down and the brakes are used less? Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to provide.
Absolutely. At the 100,000 mile service for my 2010 Prius I was told the pads were at 70% and at 40,000 mile service of my 2019 Rav4 hybrid I was told the pads looked new. You will learn to anticipate stops and use light to moderate braking as much as possible.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Limited Hybrid
7 Posts
Another factor in brake pad life pertains to where you park your car. If it's in a moist environment, then rust will form on the rotors overnight, and when you apply the brakes the next morning you'll get a light grinding noise as the rust scrubs off. That scrubbing can lessen the life of the brake pads.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As lower mileage driver, I rarely have pads wear out but they rust out or seize to the caliper bracket. For those with Hybrids in the rust areas, I wouldn't assume you get lifetime lasting brakes. They most likely will require disassembly and cleaning which has a hefty cost. Here, Honda dealers charge $300 ish per axle just to lube the brake components. If I'm going to DIY and if I'm in there I'm just going to replace everything anyway so I see brakes as a function of time, not drivetrain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
At 170,000 miles my 2007 Prius still doesn't need new pads. I don't think it'll ever need new rotors.
At 100,000 miles I cleaned & lubed the guide pins but they weren't too bad even then.

·
Registered
2021 R4P SE (Placed deposit, fingers crossed for delivery)
45 Posts
My 2004 Prius was about the same. I wasn't sure if the automatic adjustment was working or not, so I decided to replace the rear shoes (yes the 2004 did have drum brakes in the back). I took the first drum off and compared the existing shoe with the new one and they looked about the same. That was with 185k miles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
As lower mileage driver, I rarely have pads wear out but they rust out or seize to the caliper bracket. For those with Hybrids in the rust areas, I wouldn't assume you get lifetime lasting brakes. They most likely will require disassembly and cleaning which has a hefty cost. Here, Honda dealers charge $300 ish per axle just to lube the brake components. If I'm going to DIY and if I'm in there I'm just going to replace everything anyway so I see brakes as a function of time, not drivetrain.
Geez. $600 total for a clean and lube?! That’s about 1-2 hours worth of work, around $3 worth of brake cleaner, and maybe 50 cents worth of Silgylde.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, a few years back I got so fed up brake charges at the dealer and the chains so I started doing it myself. I know dealers are entitled to profits but some of these labor charges for brakes IMO are outrageous plus the normal parts mark up. This is where DIY can save big.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Lived in the rust belt all of my life and brake maintenance is second nature to me. Usually do it in fall at seasonal tire changeover. Pads usually last two years on front, one on back. Rotors four on front, two on back. When changing pads i clean up mating surfaces and coat them with an anti seize compound. Drum brakes last much longer. My 10 yr old Tacomas rear drums and shoes are original and no sign of internal rust during annual inspections.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
12 Posts
Absolutely. At the 100,000 mile service for my 2010 Prius I was told the pads were at 70% and at 40,000 mile service of my 2019 Rav4 hybrid I was told the pads looked new. You will learn to anticipate stops and use light to moderate braking as much as possible.
Same! My '10 Prius was at 145,000 before I had to change em out and they were still 20% or so left. Hybrids are known for longer brake pad longevity.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,370 Posts
Just my experience so far, my 2010 Prius with 27K miles has major rust on the rotors from low driving and probably the lake water sprinklers hitting them. I now put the car in neutral from time to time while stopping to disengage the brake regeneration system and use only the friction brakes. I only do this when safe to do so. I do more driving on my Rav 4 H so I will see if this makes a difference with rust. I live in humid Florida so this may be a factor as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just my experience so far, my 2010 Prius with 27K miles has major rust on the rotors from low driving and probably the lake water sprinklers hitting them. I now put the car in neutral from time to time while stopping to disengage the brake regeneration system and use only the friction brakes. I only do this when safe to do so. I do more driving on my Rav 4 H so I will see if this makes a difference with rust. I live in humid Florida so this may be a factor as well.
The hydraulic brakes (pads & rotors) get used every time you come to a full stop. From something like 7mph down to zero they are engaged. So no real need to use them more IMHO.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The brake (hope your's don't break) pads should last longer than the Prius. What I see from the OBD read outs is that the hydraulic brakes do not apply pressure & drag unlike the Prius where it applies a tiny bit of brake pressure to prime them for action as you take your foot off the throttle (no brake pedal applied) so all things being equal, the pads and rotors should last almost well into 160,000km. The RAV4 ones apply well below 3kmh from what I see. Again much later than the Prius one but maybe this the difference between 4WD and FWD as I'd presume 4WD has more regen braking power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts