Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 SE instrument cluster brightness seems to stay the same for daytime and nighttime. Adjusting the brightness wheel to full brightness past the click doesn't seem to make the instrument any brighter. Just checking in to see if this is a normal thing for the new 2016 dashes. :nerd

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Rule of thumb: for night driving on unlit roads the display should be dim (use the dimming switch); for night driving on very well lit roads (city streets, highways, etc.) the display should be bright. There is nothing wrong with your instrument cluster lighting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Your brightness control.
Turn it down off of the "high" click.

When it is all the way up, it will not dim the dash or the LCD display(s)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Correct, I have the brightness at "less click". However, the reason I'm wondering is when I toggle the click to set at high, the LCD's and temp controls do light up brighter, however there is no change in brightness to the tach and speedo.

Edit: adding video to clarify.
Youtube link

Notice speedo and tach brightness stays the same when headlights are turned on, and also when the brightness toggle is clicked into "max"

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Correct, I have the brightness at "less click". However, the reason I'm wondering is when I toggle the click to set at high, the LCD's and temp controls do light up brighter, however there is no change in brightness to the tach and speedo.

Edit: adding video to clarify.
Youtube link

Notice speedo and tach brightness stays the same when headlights are turned on, and also when the brightness toggle is clicked into "max"
That is normal, since the speedo and tach are OFF when the headlights are off, unlike the last generation designs.

If they are too bright, turn them down manually.
The "click" only impacts the LCD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is normal, since the speedo and tach are OFF when the headlights are off, unlike the last generation designs.

If they are too bright, turn them down manually.
The "click" only impacts the LCD
Just asking but, are you saying this because your 2015 behaves in the same way? Or do you have a 2016? I think the instrument clusters changed this year for XLE and up.

So your speedo doesn't dim at all when lights are on and you turn the dimmer down?
They dim fine when I roll the switch to dim. My concern is that my instrument cluster's max brightness seems to only go up to night time headlights on brightness.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you don't think that it is working right, then take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. That is what warranty is for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think OP is just making the very obvious statement that the design of the speedo is poorly lit at best. If I drive in the daytime when its bright out, I have to look pretty hard to see how fast I am going. Cutting the DLR's on lights the backlight, but even then it's weak. I guess waiting for an aftermarket dash inlay kit is the only thing you can do at this point, as I don't like running any lights when it's so bright out I'm wearing shades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts