Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my wife's 2009 RAV4 sat from Fri night to Tue morning. I checked the oil over the weekend (was fine), but did not start the vehicle. There's a chance the passenger side sun visor mirror light was on all weekend.

She went to start the car this morning, it started up, but the check engine (solid), 4WD and VSC (?) lights were on (see attached pic). Ignore the tire pressure sensor light, we have aftermarket wheels on it with no TPS since they are on the winter tires/stock wheels. She said it felt a bit sluggish, but drove it to work and home without any issue (30 mins each way).

I came home this afternoon, removed the oil dip stick, re-seated it, and also opened and closed the gas cap. I plugged in Techstream, although I have no idea how to use Techstream. I eventually ran a "health report" and attached it here. You can see the codes P0607 and C1201. Ironically, while doing this all, I turned the car off and on, and at some point the check engine, 4wd, VSC lights are no longer on, and it's back to just the TPS. I DID NOT clear the codes, but the dash is no longer inappropriately lit up.

So, what would you do? I already have an appointment for Toyota to diagnose it tomorrow, but do not want to spend $$ unnecessarily. Would you clear the codes, and monitor it for a few days or bring it in to Toyota and have them take a look?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
The C1201 code is Engine Control System Malfunction. The P0607 is ECM Control Module Performance. Finally, the B2780 code is Push Switch/Key Unlock Warning Switch Malfunction

Possible causes:
Faulty unlock warning switch assembly
Unlock warning switch assembly wire harness
Faulty transponder key ECU assembly

This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be output if the transponder key Electronic Control Unit (ECU) does not detect that the unlock warning switch is ON even when the ignition switch is ON (under normal condition, the unlock warning switch is ON when the ignition switch is ON).

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
I'd clear the codes instead of paying Toyota a diagnostic fee to do the same. Then address any that come back. My dealer wouldn't try to mess with me but some may make a mountain out of a mole hill using the codes to justify who knows how much likely unneeded work.
Most any AP store will read & clear the codes for free if techstream gives you trouble.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Cdgreg, was it the upstream O2 sensor, and which 4-cyl do you have? On our 2.5 we had a faulty upstream sensor due to a coolant leak from a factory-pressed-in pipe in the back of the head. The pipe was to be pressed in straight but was off-centred, causing a bad seal and a leak. The coolant travelled down the exhaust and fouled the contact of the sensor. However the pipe couldn’t be replaced in the head, requiring a new cylinder head after the sensor was replaced. If you have the 2.5, check for a coolant track along the exhaust pipe and up to the underside of the coolant pipe. This is a manufacturing defect which Toyota should cover, but one would have to fight hard for it. Should be covered under Extracare or powertrain warranties, but if present and outside those periods, it will be a fight. The bill to Toyota for our head replacement was about $3,400 CDN but within the bumper to bumper warranty period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts