Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 4dr RAV4 AWD Manual Transmission
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

Replaced my fuel injectors last weekend and like a genius forgot to tighten alternator wire to battery securely after replacing the valve cover. Because it was loose seems like it melted the nut to the stud and burnt the end of the wire. Battery light was going off for a couple days before I figured out what was going on. When I tried to tighten the nut, it broke off. There was still enough thread left to get another nut on to use temporarily but would like to fix permanently if possible. Is this a removable/replaceable stud? Can't find anything online about it.

·
Registered
1998 4dr RAV4 AWD Manual Transmission
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehehe. Yea I originally saw the same thing - but I’ve been reading up and it’s seems like I can just replace the rectifier which the stud is attached to. It seems like some models of alternators have removable charging posts. I guess I’m curious if anyone else has come across this issue and knows before I take the alternator out and start messing with it.

·
Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, JDM engine installed in 2013
863 Posts
-- From my study, I do not see where you can buy this stud nor how to install it.

-- Here's a photo of my Rav4.1's alternator partly dis-assembled (ignore the circles; I think the stud in question is obvious):

You can remove your alternator (or possibly get the cover off while the alternator is still installed) to look more closely at how the stud is fastened to the alternator. Directions for taking the cover off appear in the "Alternator Brushes" guide at Elle's 1996-00 Toyota Rav4 Site.

-- Here's a drawing from a Rav4.1 parts site:

-- Like LugNut suggested, I think I'd be off to a salvage yard to buy a used alternator. I'd strip off the voltage regulator and brush assembly from your current alternator (and maybe, maybe not, the bearing) and save these for future repairs. Discard the rest of your current alternator.

·
Registered
1998, 4dr, FWD, Automatic
5 Posts
Get a coupling nut and hex bolt. I think it's an M6. Thread the coupling nut about half way and secure the wire with the bolt. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts