Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently I started hearing noise coming from the rear right side. A quick look under the car and I noticed that the two sway bare links where broken and when I took the wheel off, I realized that the coil spring has moved slightly in regard to the mount but was still firmly in place.
The dealer mechanic told me that the right rear coil spring was broken but the shocks are still good and don't need to be replaced. Is it ok to have old shocks with new springs? What are your thoughts on the cost ( springs and sway bare links on both sides = 1080 $ Canadian) and could this job be DIY without any risk?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hello,

Recently I started hearing noise coming from the rear right side. A quick look under the car and I noticed that the two sway bare links where broken and when I took the wheel off, I realized that the coil spring has moved slightly in regard to the mount but was still firmly in place.
The dealer mechanic told me that the right rear coil spring was broken but the shocks are still good and don't need to be replaced. Is it ok to have old shocks with new springs? What are your thoughts on the cost ( springs and sway bare links on both sides = 1080 $ Canadian) and could this job be DIY without any risk?
link: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/95-.../197882-rear-coil-spring-replaced-2004-a.html
I was quoted a price of $600 in the USA with new shocks. My sway bar links were a year old and I knew they were good and my shocks were 3 years old and have a lifetime Guarantee . I elected to do it myself. Cost $50 and 3 hours work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ronbo1313,

Thank you for the link. Since I don't have the spring compressors and for safety reasons, I decided to let the mechanic do the job. The cost difference may be explained by the car model (mine is a 2007 limited w/3rd row).
Parts: link kit(x2)=319$ plus the 2 springs (275$)
Labour : 75$ for the sway bare links and 265$ for the springs. I'm in a small remote town without a lot of competition. They charge 92$/h.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi ronbo1313,

Thank you for the link. Since I don't have the spring compressors and for safety reasons, I decided to let the mechanic do the job. The cost difference may be explained by the car model (mine is a 2007 limited w/3rd row).
Parts: link kit(x2)=319$ plus the 2 springs (275$)
Labour : 75$ for the sway bare links and 265$ for the springs. I'm in a small remote town without a lot of competition. They charge 92$/h.
Coil springs from Toyota are less than 70 each and you only needed 1...end links are less than 50 for the pair....coil spring compressors can be had for under 50...if you are somewhat handy with tools this would have been an easy job for you...just something to think about...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info rav4system. I know, I could have saved some money, but I was not so confident compressing and removing a broken spring that was still loaded. Next time I will try to do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm doing this along with replacing the stabilizer bar link, on both the left and right rear sides. I also purchased rear shock absorbers but I don't have the tools to get it off. The bolts on the shock absorbers at the top were in a tight spot so I am not going to replace the shock aborbers. Maybe next time.

I replaced the coil springs, and the stabilizer bar link. I'm having a tough time installing the bolt on the Rear suspension #2 arm assembly. I lift it up with my jack but the holes where the bolts go into do not align right. I had to use a long screw driver to try and align it but it's not working. What am I doing wrong? Why are the holes not aligning?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts