Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This, on our 2008, AWD, V6 RAV4 Sport:

The stalk/lever on the cruise control just broke off. It is now hanging by its wires. The on/off still functions from the button on the end but nothing else (of course).

Has anyone else repaired this with super-glue? (I read a thread on a "Prius chat" forum about that.)

Is there a "repair your cruise control" thread here already? I am not the best at the search-engine here, but haven't found anything about this, yet.

What repair manual and parts suppliers might y'all recommend?

Or, should I remove it, tape the wires, and live w/out cruise control? :nerd

Advice, suggestions, opinions are appreciated.
Tommy

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I would just replace the stalk.
You would need to remove 2 screws to remove the airbag (disconnect battery first) and 2 small screws for the stalk itself. It is not really difficult to do.
But you're plan is to cimply crazy glue it and see how it goes. Maybe add a piece of hard plastic inside the stalk to provide extra support????

I would just hit Ebay for a used one. They are very common to many Toyota models.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, that makes sense. Unless I read a bunch of "glue-fix-it" replies I wouldn't try to glue it back together. I can't really see that holding up, if glued.

Thanks for that reply. I think I can handle that.
Tommy

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This thread from the UK site has photos of the cruise stalk installation:

4.3 Toyota Cruise Control Retro-Fit - Rav 4 Club - Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum
I had the part for a couple weeks but I just got around to this repair yesterday. Resetting the radio station presets took the longest of any part of the "work". I was a bit surprised at hot tight the Torx-head machine screws were that secured the steering wheel cover.
Everything was pretty straight forward. After about 75 miles, I believe that all is now in order again. Thanks for the help!
Tommy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts