Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I need your wise comments once more.

I took my Rav to the garage because of a very loud cracking noise everytime I steered, the wheel would jump a bit as well when it snap.

Diagnosis : Broken Spring in the front wheel.

I am getting quoted £180 pounds for parts and labor, labor being between 2.5 and 5 hours.

does this sound about right, because someone told me it doesnt take more than 10 minutes to replace the spring. which could be true in a small car , but not sure in a Rav. either way ,

i dont know what caused it to break, i dont remmember any big hole or bumps hit , although i saw the spring and it looked pretty rusty.

i appreciate any thoughts ....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have never looked at or changed the springs on my RAV so take this with a grain of salt. I think whoever told you in 10 minutes is either the fastest man alive or hes telling a story. When I used to race hondas, I could do spring work very fast, maybe 30min - 1 hour per wheel if I had all my tools available. Its not difficult at all really. The hardest part is getting the spring off the shock, and if yours is truely broken, then there is good chance it is already decompressed. If not, then rent a spring compressor from the local auto parts shop, BUT, be very careful with this thing. If u do not tighten the clamps down correctly(allthough second thought, i dont really know how you couldnt but i have seen it happen), the spring could pop out and hit you or something. My friend was hit in the chin and recieved stiches, and this is a weeny little honda spring. A ford truck spring could potentially kill you. Ill post later when i have a chance to crawl under my rav and invesitgate the suspension. In my honest opinion though, if you a even just decently mechanically inclined, you can do this. Its very easy.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10 minutes would be something I really want to see someone removing the strut and replacing a spring and then replacing it again.

The labour would be around 1 hour with an experienced mechanic an hour and a half at most. It's a fairly simple job. But if they offer you to do the wheel alignment included in the total amount, that would be a fair price.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers mates.

Honestly i know its a pretty staright forward procedure. however the toyota garage told me that it could take about two hours and potentially up to 5 in a 4X4. he did metion it could be up to 5 hours if its tough to get the spring of the shock. i know its a bit of an exageration and the guys at the toyota garage are probably just covering their base. Ill try to bargain and have them throw in the wheel alingment

Thanks for the vote of confidence in that i can do it myself. In fact I know i could probably do it, but i really have 0 tools! and no really no space to work .

Although i would love to do it myself .

Thanks for the comments :lol:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea get them to throw some crap in. someone chime in here, but im failing to see why 4WD would make it longer. anyways, on a honda, all u need is a socket wrench, a 12mm, 14mm, 10mm, and an 8mm i think and an allen key and ur done. we never use spring compressors :) stand on the shock, with a wrench on the nut of the cup and turn with an allen, have the top of the shock against the curb or something, a brick wall maybe and stand on the spring, slowly undo into it decompresses. keep face as far away as possible lol. they RARELY spring out from under you, its a foriegn car! make sure they throw in that wheel alignment, and it sounds like ya got a good deal i guess. i dunno. i have only paid a mechanic 1 time in my life and that was to throw in a new tranny and i cried because i could have done it myself, in fact, i did 2 more times in the following week.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toyota do not fix their own cars other than the usual servicing. They send it away to someone else and charge 15-20% on top of that. This may be the reason why they are so expensive.

I wouldn't do it myself if you do not have the right tools. You need a spring clamp to compress the spring before you can reinsert the shock back in. Also if there are some mud in the nuts, you may not be able to remove the bolt and needs a major clamp. If clamp wrong, you will puncture your shocks.

Good luck with the DIY job mate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As a spring failure analyst, and having looked at a RAV4 spring that broke, what happens is that corrosion pitting where the spring sits on the lower mount starts a corrosion fatigue crack that eventually fractures the spring. For northern climates with road salt, Toyota should have used a more corrosion resistant paint coating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts